Best Running Back in East Texas?

Eagleborn

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well as mentioned before, Hasty is the best and it ain't close.

Hard to call who's 2nd. Sowell at Lufkin? The RB from Kilgore? Texas High has a good one..didn't have the stats a year ago but he's destined for a big year.

Waskom has a few runners too.

Franklin's Morgan Brewer is one of the best in the state...2452 yrds, 33 tds, and over 11 yards a carry. 1st team all state last year with 4 of his 5 starting lineman returning...expect another huge season for this young man

The guy that's gonna play more WR than RB this year?

Add DB to his list.

I am going to have to go with new comer to RB job as my candidate...Demarco Boyd, Kris' Baby Brother...he has been D Tackle & Nose Guard...he will be moving to Linebacker & Running Back...6', 210#, and a total brute...ask the RB & QB from Spring Hill last year...made the guard cry, & gang tackled QB/RB together, at the same time...he is truly a punisher...he will shock you...did great in 7on7 (yep & he can catch the ball)...his speed has really picked up but the real weapon is he will run over you & leave you crying on the ground

Add DB to his list.

I am going to have to go with new comer to RB job as my candidate...Demarco Boyd, Kris' Baby Brother...he has been D Tackle & Nose Guard...he will be moving to Linebacker & Running Back...6', 210#, and a total brute...ask the RB & QB from Spring Hill last year...made the guard cry, & gang tackled QB/RB together, at the same time...he is truly a punisher...he will shock you...did great in 7on7 (yep & he can catch the ball)...his speed has really picked up but the real weapon is he will run over you & leave you crying on the ground

You're picking someone who hasn't played much RB as the best in East Texas? What were his stats like? How'd he do at camps?

Not sure he fits the criteria.

Outside of Hasty I would look at Justice in Kilgore. West at Troup. Arm and Waskom both have good backs. Mitchell at Corrigan Camden is pretty good too.

Not as deep as years past, but still plenty of strong runners in east Texas this year...

Following the same type of process I use to grade the quarterbacks, I gotta go with one of my own in the RBs department:

FmUACtg.jpg

Overton junior halfback Julian Herndon #20 (6-1, 191, 4.6/40)

1.) STATS: limited to a supporting role for the last couple years, Julian has nevertheless made the most of his touches. Last season (51att 441yds 6TDs, 18rec 231yds 4tds) he was mostly a blocking fullback and receiver outta the backfield. As a freshman he was an H-Back hybrid (TE-FB) who made several clutch receptions leading up to and in the playoffs.

2.) TALENT: he's been the biggest kid in his class for most of his life (now standing at a sinewy 6-1) he's also one of the fastest athletes in the program. Tall, with a big frame, he could stand to gain another 20 pounds without losing much if any quickness. Think of your Adrian Peterson, Eric Dickerson type of body.

3.) INTANGIBLES: if you've ever met Herndon, you know what a great kid he is. Laid-back and quiet by nature, he leads by example and earned the respect of his upperclassmen teammates even as a freshman. A solid student, churchgoing, and just as good as gold.

4.) WORK ETHIC: if you stopped by the weight room at any point this summer, Julian was unavoidable. A jogger myself, I'd see him "running the roads" (in a good way) constantly. I bet he's gained 15 pounds since Spring… mostly in the chest and arms. The kids has the will to succeed.

Granted, Overton's hardly a "factory" of D-I talent, but Herndon reminds me of an old teammate of mine by the name of Vaughn Washington (OHS '94, Univ. of Houston). Barring the unforeseen, I'm expecting a breakthrough season out of him in 2014.

Hasty is the best in the pines. I just hope the Lufkin offense can score with them, because I doubt our defense will be able to stop him....goodness.

I almost had a stroke when Wolf or 07 told me he was coming back last season. I honestly thought that kid was a senior.

Arp RB Marcalas Johnson 5'11 190 lbs Last year rushed for 1900 yards 28 TDs not including receiving TDs. 4 year Varsity RB. To my knowledge has ran for more than 100 yards per game in every game hes played in on varsity.

Mathias, how in the hell does Herndon remind you of Washington exactly? Washington played LB and outweighed him by 40 lbs. Please tell me you're just saying he resembles in "Overton's rare next level talent", because any other resemblance just isn't very accurate.