Mavchamp

RC Vs. Marshall  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Marshall by a little
    • RC by a little
    • Marshall in a blowout
    • RC in a blowout

I've held off as long as I can. So here goes.

COACHES

Marshall: Clint Harper

RC: David Petroff

LAST SEASON

Marshall was a bi-district runner up last season, losing to Wylie

RC was 1-9 last season

This will be the first meeting between the two teams.

RC is coming off of a tough 1-9 season in which their only victory came against Greenville. The Bulldogs have had a tough stretch of late.

2013: 1-9

2012: 1-9

2011: 3-8

2010: 3-8

2009: 1-9

Prior to 2009, RC had at least 11 wins three times in the previous four seasons. Included in that stretch was a state semifinalist and quarterfinalist Bulldog teams in 2004 and 2006 respectively.

The bulldogs had offensive woes that plagued all season. This included nearly 20 interceptions and ill-timed fumbles. They averaged only 257 yards of total offense per game. They scored more than 17 points only three times last season.

Defensively the Bulldogs gave up huge chunks of real estate, surrendering more than 34 points in 6 of their games.

----------

The first decade of the 2000's was historically good for the Mavs as they advanced to state title games in 2004 and 2005 and followed it up with a quarterfinal slot in 2009. Between those banner years, the Mavs advanced to the playoffs multiple times with several playoff wins.

However, the second decade of the 2000's saw the bottom fall out. It began with a disappointing 2-8 season in 2011 and followed up with a 1-9 in 2012.

Enter Clint Harper and his staff and the turnaround had begun in 2013. Although the W/L record did not show much improvement, few could argue that there wasn't a massive turnaround for the program last season. Hampered by a brutal schedule that included two state finalists (Kilgore and Bossire Parkway) and three quarterfinalists (Longview, Whitehouse, Wylie) the Mavericks did show promise of getting better.

Marshall had one of the most productive offenses in 14-4A last season, behind Sulphur Springs. That offense will continue on the shoulders of third year starting QB Justin Hart (JR) and his stable of running backs. He will be coupled with a young corps of wide receivers.

The biggest improvement will need to be on defense, where Marshall struggled most of the season. Size, speed, and experience return for the Mavericks. For the first time since 2010, the Mavericks appear to have some depth on the defensive side of the ball.

The offseason focused on technique and strength training for the defense. Marshall's defense was made of up several players that were part of the regional qualifying powerlisting team back in Janurary.

-----------

The game will be played at Maverick Stadium, which will be debuting brand new turf on that night,

The home game against Royse CIty is the lone home game for the Mavericks until they host Pine Tree for homecoming on October 3rd.

Following the opener, Marshall will travel to Shreveport for the Battle on the Border and a road trip to the DFW Vs. Crandall. An open date will be followed with a short road trip to Hallsville to open 15-5A play.

There will be 34 days between home games for the Mavs and their fans.

Good luck to the Mavs in 2014!

------

If you can't wait..... Marshall will travel to Tyler to scrimmage Tyler Lee on August 22nd at Rose Stadium.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No disrespect to RC.... but these are my thoughts.

If Marshall doesn't blow them out.... this spells trouble for the Mavs IMHO.

I know there will be first game jitters and rust to knock off...... but that should be no excuse.

Last season I thought our non-district slate was ridiculously too tough for where we were as a program. We had no business playing that many good teams all at once lined up (Kilgore, Longview, WH, Parkway). IMHO if we would have had a "normal" non district slate like everyone else in 14-4A did.... we would have seen a 5-5 or 6-4 regular season.

I'm happy about Parkway still being there. We need a tough opponent. But I'm not sure about the other two games.

RC is struggling..... and has been for a LONG time now.

If we go out there and win big.... I'm not sure it does much besides give some confidence we need. And the reps will be important.

If we go out and struggle win.... that could spell trouble.

And if we lose..... It shows we are no where near where we need to be.....or thought we were. And it could mean getting back to the drawing board...quick.

I actually like the way our schedule is set up. For all purposes, and as you stated no disrespect to Royse City, we have a very winnable game 1 at home. This should be a good game to get the season started and get some reps on both sides of the ball. It is always a good thing to start the year with a win and build some confidence. The 2nd game against Crandall should be winnable as well but a little tougher and give us some road experience. Then the 3rd game against Parkway will really show us where we are at. They are going to be good again this year but maybe not quite as good as last year. And I think we will be much better than we were last year. Another positive is that we have a bye week after Parkway and before district starts. This will give us an opportunity to get healthy if needed and have an extra week to prepare for Hallsville. Which in my opinion could be essentially a playoff game.

Oh boy! Their only win was Greenville?!? Good Lord!!

2 wins in 2 seasons...... both against Greenville. RC has a history of being pretty good..... but the last few seasons have been brutal. And I understand how that feels.

I actually like the way our schedule is set up. For all purposes, and as you stated no disrespect to Royse City, we have a very winnable game 1 at home. This should be a good game to get the season started and get some reps on both sides of the ball. It is always a good thing to start the year with a win and build some confidence. The 2nd game against Crandall should be winnable as well but a little tougher and give us some road experience. Then the 3rd game against Parkway will really show us where we are at. They are going to be good again this year but maybe not quite as good as last year. And I think we will be much better than we were last year. Another positive is that we have a bye week after Parkway and before district starts. This will give us an opportunity to get healthy if needed and have an extra week to prepare for Hallsville. Which in my opinion could be essentially a playoff game.

The Hallsville game IMHO makes or breaks our season. Which is a tough pill to swallow when its your first district game. But if we can't beat the Bobcats..... then making the playoffs is going to be tough. If we can win that one.... and take care of business in the others.... then the games with Texarkana and SS could be huge as far as moving up into a better seeding.

But that's looking a little too far ahead. Right now.... we have business to take care of in August before we can start thinking about October football.

2 wins in 2 seasons...... both against Greenville. RC has a history of being pretty good..... but the last few seasons have been brutal. And I understand how that feels.

The Hallsville game IMHO makes or breaks our season. Which is a tough pill to swallow when its your first district game. But if we can't beat the Bobcats..... then making the playoffs is going to be tough. If we can win that one.... and take care of business in the others.... then the games with Texarkana and SS could be huge as far as moving up into a better seeding.

But that's looking a little too far ahead. Right now.... we have business to take care of in August before we can start thinking about October football.

Man what are you talking bout?? Mavs will either be first or second in district! Preferably second if I get my way...lol. Don't make me look like a donkey backside Mavs...I got beer bets on you and Parkway and finishing runner up in district. Don't play with my beer!!!

Can't get here fast enough.

Lots of people overlooking us.

Guess we will have to prove them wrong. The new captain in town has righted the ship IMHO. Marshall of old is on it's way back.

We shall see.

Lots of people overlooking us. Guess we will have to prove them wrong

The only thing that would be proven wrong in this game and your next game is Marshall is still in a down period.

Not sure how anyone is overlooking you when everyone has pretty much said it's most likely going to come down to Marshall or Hallsville in a playoff spot, which is more than what has been said the past couple of seasons (outside of King's claim last year during the week leading up to Friday).

I wonder about the somewhat weak predistrict schedule....I think the tough games had them ready for district....we will see if there is a difference by the time district gets here.

As for this game....the Mavs should be able to get some reps to build on....

I wonder about the somewhat weak predistrict schedule....I think the tough games had them ready for district....we will see if there is a difference by the time district gets here.

As for this game....the Mavs should be able to get some reps to build on....

I thought the same thing when I saw our schedule.

But there is a big difference in 5 non-district games and 3.

Last season's non-district was ridiculous. I don't think many in 14-4A would have fared much better than the 1-4 we managed. Scores would have been closer, but the outcomes likely would have been the same. Several of our district mates played the same teams we did anyway (Kilgore and Whitehouse) and the result was the same.

Dropping to 3 games..... we kept Parkway, who was a finalist last year.

That left only 2 to replace. I would have liked to have kept Kilgore on the schedule. I heard Harper didn't want to face anyone we could potentially meet in the playoffs (Nacogdoches, Whitehouse, Jacksonville, Corsicana). Kinda limited us.

Sometimes it is what it is.

As long as we take care of business...... I guess it really doesn't matter who we are playing.

But I think Parkway will be a better gauge as to where we are than the other 2 non-district games will be.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the write up for the SS/RC scrimmage:

Sulphur Springs outscored Royse City 2-0 in the controlled scrimmage and 35-21 in timed live action Friday in a sweaty, humid contest at Gerald Prim Stadium.
“Overall, some things were better, we were a little more crisp,” said Greg Owens, Sulphur Springs head football coach. “We were getting after it, but as the night went on we had a letdown. I was very disappointed by our defensive effort. We were flying around, trying to make plays, but not reacting too well.”
Owens said, “On offense, we got tired and sloppy as the scrimmage progressed. I know it was not a game and we have work to do. We have to improve a lot before it’s a real game with Rockwall-Heath. They have some outstanding players and I hope our mentality is better. We have been in a hard grind since Aug. 4 and our legs are shot. We have to get better than this... I think we will. We have some good senior leadership. They have to step up and push us through being tired.”
Owens said team made it through the two scrimmages with very few injuries.
The controlled portion of the scrimmage began with Sulphur Springs on offense. It only took six plays for the Wildcats to cover 70-yards and score. The drive began with Jesse Ortiz running for five yards. Quarterback Larry Pryor broke the pocket and took off for a seven-yard gain. Following a short Zach Spigner run, Pryor connected with Ben Brooks for a first down pass. Spigner took off for a 14-yard run. Pryor capped the drive with a scoring pass to sophomore Jaylon Hawkins.
The scrimmage continued and the Wildcats kept the ball against Royse City. New quarterback Drew McCullough threw to Carpenter for an eight-yard gain. Fresh running back Scott Galarza showed off his wheels cutting behind nice blocks for a 22-yard burst. McCullough then went back up top and threw a 20-yard middle screen to Carpenter. McCullough ended the second drive with a six-yard scoring run.
Royse City got the ball on offense and had mixed success. Short passes netted little. The Bulldog quarterback scrambled wide only to be met by Pryor for a quick tackle. Spigner had a tackle and the ball popped out, recovered by Bryton Wood.
The next eight plays for the Bulldogs produced short runs. Dakota Stalcup had a nice tackle after a reception on a Royse City player. The Bulldogs were held for short yardage as action turned to the kicking game.
Sulphur Springs used both kickers Tanner Ramirez and Mark Maddux on punts and PATs. The Wildcats fielded punts with C.J. Stephens and Jaylon Dugan in action.
The timed portion of the scrimmage began with Royse City starting from their own 30-yard line. Two incomplete passes and soon the Wildcat defense forced a punt.
The Wildcats began their first possession at their own 27-yard line with 11:27 left in the first time period. Pryor tried a deep pass, but it fell incomplete. However, on the play Royse City was flagged for interference. Ortiz took off for a quick 18 yards up the middle. Ortiz had another big run, this time down to the 36 of Royse City. Ortiz again broke free and picked up 33 yards before being knocked out-of-bounds. Hawkins ended the drive with a short run behind blocks up the middle. Ramirez added an adventurous extra point. The ball balanced on the cross bar, before rolling over for the Wildcats to make the score 7-0 with 10:40 left in the period.
Royse City responded with a touchdown drive of their own. The key play, a 59-scoring toss to wide open receiver. The extra point knotted the score at 7-all with 9:46 on the clock.
Sulphur Springs again strung together a 70-yard drive on offense. The Wildcats overcame a clip call on a Galarza run. Pryor went to Carpenter for 36-yards. Pryor then called his own number and raced 26-yards for another big gain. Galarza found the end zone on a two-yard run to cap the drive. Ramirez boomed the extra point to give the home team a 14-7 lead with 8:18 left.
Royse City moved the ball on a 70-yard scoring drive of their own using a mixture of runs and passes to cover the real estate in two minutes on nine plays. A quarterback keeper from short range got the touchdown on the board. The extra point tied the contest at 14-all with 6:04 still to go in the first frame.
The Wildcats still were rolling on offense and used Ortiz runs and Pryor passes to move the chains. Pryor then found a new receiver, Bubba Hall open over the middle for a 30-yard scoring connection. Maddux pounded home the point after and the Wildcats went ahead 21-14.
Royse City took over at their own 30 with 4:24 to play in the quarter. The Bulldogs were slowed down by a nice hit from Dugan in the backfield. Hawkins had an interception slip through his hands. So Royse City went back to the ground picking up key yards in the middle of the line. The RC touchdown came on the first play of the first quarter on a short run. The extra point tied the game at 21-all.
On the next Sulphur Springs possession, the team again was able to drive 70 yards. Galarza ran for six. Then Pryor found Parker Aguilar open for a first down pass. A penalty on Royse City again assisted the cause as interference was called on the Bulldogs. Set up with a first down at the 33-yard line of Royse City, Hawkins ran for a first down. Ortiz ended the drive with a six-yard burst. The Maddux point after gave the home team a 28-21 with 9:00 left.
Royse City was hampered on their next possession by the Wildcat defense. Carson Hicks had a key hit on third down to force a punt.
Sulphur Springs, now using reserves, was unable to get a drive rolling and had to punt back to Royse City. The Bulldogs taking over with 6:36 left. Good defensive plays by Jaylon Mitchell and Cain Cody led to big hits on the Bulldogs.
The Wildcats took over at their own 13-yard line following a punt by Royse City. Hawkins showed he still had plenty left in his tank, racing all 87-yards on a slick run for Sulphur Springs. The sophomore speedster took the handoff and then cut toward the sidelines and outran all Royse City defenders for the score. Ramirez made the extra point with 1:18 left.
The timed portion of the scrimmage ended with Royse City picking off a pass. But the Wildcats were ahead on the scoreboard, 35-21.
In sub-varsity scrimmage competition, Sulphur Springs did well.
The junior varsity got three touchdown passes from quarterback Easton Silman. D.J. Hall, Tyrese Peters and Tyrik Cork all caught scoring passes. Nathan Bones scored on a 10-yard run.
Coach Bruce Silman pointed out Jackson Kinsey and Matthew Reynolds as standouts. Silman said, “We did some good things, we got the work we needed. We played well and our line blocked really well.’
In ninth grade play, the Sulphur Springs squad took a 4-2 decision. Coach Chris Valdovinos said, “We played hard and everyone did a good job. Our defense was awesome.”
The coach listed standouts as Cason Goodson, Lawrence Worth, Ryan Humphries, Simeon Taylor, Logan Caden and Iverson Wade.
Sulphur Springs will return to practice Monday. The varsity and junior varsity will begin at 4 p.m. at the high school field as they prepare for the season opener Friday at Rockwall-Heath.

Got the Gameday info posted.

http://www.marshallmavericks.net/

Not much to say when there is absolutely no history between the two teams.

But everything is there.

Still waiting to get the Roster. Other than that, everything is pretty much in place for the site as far as football goes. Still working on some of the other stuff.

Coach Harper & the Royce City coach Petroff were both interviewed for the Marshall job 2 years ago. Harper got the Marshall job and Petroff got the Royce city job, both are in their second year at their schools. Coach Petroff was the def cord. at Waco Midway before taking HC at RC.