• Marshall by a little
    • RC by a little
    • Marshall in a blowout
    • RC in a blowout

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The key as always is up front with the o-line. They are supose to be one of the strengths of the team. If they can hold up and give hart some time he will find the open receiver. Mix in the talented group of wrs and the strong threat of the run we should be able to put up great numbers on offense. If the coaching staff is smart about when to throw in qb cam haller to run the zone read it will make it even that much more difficult on defenses

Last year.... it was hard to complain about our offense.

Outside of the Texas High and Whitehouse games.... they had success.

Our downfall was defense.

And then I see Lee had a lot of success.

More of the same in 2014?

It's great to score 40 points a game....but not if you're giving up 45.

I was thinking 42-20 but i like your guess better lol. Last year the problem defensively was missed tackles. There were uncountable times that we were in good position or made penetration into the backfield but just could not wrap up. That was a point of emphasis this off season but honestly we still missed way too many in the Lee scrimmage. If we can improve there our defense should be fine because we def have the size, speed and talent.

Hello to our friends in Marshall. Best way to get to your stadium? We expect over a two hour drive to Marshall, so we will cutting it close since we can't leave before 5:00 because of work.

I've been reading about Marshall and their team sounds like they are looking forward to a great season. I hope you enjoy success, but I have to say I am pulling for my Royse City Bulldogs in this one. Played for Royse City many years ago and have been a life long fan. As you say, we have had our ups and downs and the move up to 4A, now called 5A, has not been kind to us. Our first season in 4A we did go 7-4 with a strong team, but we were beaten in the first round by a very good Denison team. Since then we have had two coaching changes and we are still trying to find our groove, you might say.

We have hope and the Sulphur Springs scrimmage helped our confidence. Of course we say we did better than was reported, but we support Royse City. LOL...Sulphur Springs has a very good football team. Pryor is a tremendous QB and DB. I'm not sure I would play him both ways, because they are much better when he is on the field on offense. The Wildcats are also very well coached.

I hope we compete well tonight and even if the Mavericks might seem to struggle, that should not mean in any way that they are not much improved. I don't believe we are the same team of 2012 and 2013, but at the same time we were playing in a District that was very talented with schools such as Wylie, Wylie East, Sherman, Denison, Lovejoy and McKinney North. The Wylie schools and McKinney North will be very strong again this year.

Anyway, good luck to the Mavericks. I hope this is an injury free game and both teams play to their best potential.

Thanks for the post microtrav. I looked at the map and I am assuming you are coming in on I-20. If so, come into Marshall and exit off of the interstate onto Hwy 59 at exit # 617 (going by the numbers on google maps). Take a left heading north. The first major intersection you will come to is Hwy 43 (Pinecrest Dr.) and you will take a left. You will be able to see the high school and stadium on the right. Take a right onto Maverick Drive and parking will be on the right. Safe travels and good luck tonight! It ought to be a pretty good game as both teams should be improved from the last couple of years.

Haller is a stud! Kid looked impressive running the ball, although we gotta make it less obvious he's coming in to run. The offense looks pretty solid for the most part, screen game surprised me and Osborne looked like a feature back, there's definitely things to iron out had a fumble and int that gave them scoring opportunities. Defense still missed way too many tackles for my liking gotta get that fixed before district starts

I was pretty happy with how the team played.

Far from perfect, but not as sloppy as most first games I've seen.

Our offense has the potential to be special. Looks like they are picking right up where they left off last season. We are spreading the ball out to a stable of backs and the passing game is coming along. Didn't have to pass much as the Bulldogs struggled to stop our running game. But when he did throw, Hart looked poised in the pocket.

Cameron Haller is a beast with his speed and elusiveness. He runs the wildcat to perfection. But there is no secret what's going to happen when he's out there. Gotta mix that up a little better. Osborne......wow. He just runs right over you. Power running. Haven't seen that since Jackie Robinson.

The defense played well most of the game. They only gave up one long drive. But you just have to give credit to RC's quarterback, he's got a heck of an arm. He hit some incredible absolutely completions. He can thread a needle. RC has some good receivers. Luckily the Mav defense kept the QB under duress most of the night.

The Bulldogs run the hurry up offense like a machine. Just couldn't get their running game going.

Things to work on?

We had a fumble. It made a 21-0 game into a 21-7 game. Can't do that. Have to learn to go for the kill. We only had 4 fumbles last season, which is an incredible stat. So it was a little disappointing to see the turnover.

Hart had one horrible throw late in the third quarter and it was costly.

The interception gave the Bulldogs a first and ten at the Mav 13. That's a CHEAP touchdown. And it kept RC in the game. Cheap points will kill you in close games.

Overall a strong performance. But still some things to work on.

Good luck the the Bulldogs the rest of the way. You guys have a fun offense to watch. No doubt you will have some success when it all comes together.

Mavs have some things to iron out. And a long road trip next week is always tough on a young squad.

Can't wait for next week!