Week 1 Newton @ Tatum  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win?

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think this will be a great game.

I will take the home team. Tatum by 7. I am also interested in this game cause Henderson plays Newton in non district. I know nothing about them just that they are winning program that's always a contender I be lying if I said I knew where it's located lol.

Not too far from Woodville, south of Lufkin.

I see a 21-14 or a 14-7 type game. These two defenses are going to be stout.

Hopefully Tatum will recognize and adjust to all the tackle over stuff Newtons gonna come with. Wouldn't be surprised to even see some guard and tackle over.

Gotta agree. I just do not see this being a high scoring game. Of course after seeing our defense Friday, I do not believe that anyone will score in the 35+ range on Tatum. Should be a good game to start the season.

Here is a look at what our Tatum Eagles will be facing in week one.

Newton Eagles 2014 preview :

Lettermen R/L: 26/13 Starters returning 7 offense 7 defense . 2013: 12-1 2a d1 regional semi finalist, district 10-2a d1 champs 7-0.
Players to watch : Seniors : QB/FS Roney Elam, RB/DB Calum Foster, DL Zack Connor, OT Brent Simmons, WR/RB Jace Thomas, P/K Logan Westbrook

Juniors: RB Gabe Foster, DE Hunter Flanigan

Sophomore: DB Kirkland Foster

Wing-T ground game: RB Calum Foster 700yards 12tds and Roney Elam 939yards passing 437 rushing lead offense into 2014 . Elam also had 6 picks on defense and is one of the top college DB prospects in The nation offers from A&M ,Texas , Alabama , Baylor to name a few . OT Simmons enters 3rd year on the Starting Oline and DT Conner brings two years all district back to a strong defense that only allowed 13 pts a game in 2013 and returns 7 starters.

3a Division 2 2014 preseason coaches poll
1 Cisco
2 Newton
3 East Bernard
4 Waskom
5 Franklin

11-3a D2
1 Newton State ranked: 3.
2 Corrigan-Camden State: 6
3 Garrison. State ranked:13
4 Deweyville
5 Crockett
6 Hemphill

2014 Schedule
8/29 @ Tatum. #9 4a d2
9/5. Bridge City 4a d1
9/12. Open
9/19. Henderson 4a d1
9/26. Orangefield 4a d2
10/03 WOS #2 4a d2
10/10. @ Deweyville
10/17 Crockett
10/24. @ CC. #6
10/31. @ Garrison #13
11/7. Hemphill

"These kids that are Seniors, most of them have been playing since they were sophomores." They've been playing for a long time , "I think the experience is going to make a big difference for us" .. Head Coach WT Johnston .

The key to beating Tatum is running the football with physical presence. Pound them up the middle! Your not gonna just burn them. You've got to be patient and take every opertunity you get to pound on their defense till they start trying to get overly aggressive back. That's when they tend to get flustrated and let teams have success. They aren't a physical team. The are a finess team and like to beat you with speed. Infact I actually thought they were less physical than pewit, garrison and Troup last year. they beat us last year by a couple TD's but we had them down till the last 4 mins of the game they were able to squeze in a few quick scores off turnovers inside their 20 and make the score look worse than it really was.

The key to beating Tatum is running the football with physical presence. Pound them up the middle! Your not gonna just burn them. You've got to be patient and take every opertunity you get to pound on their defense till they start trying to get overly aggressive back. That's when they tend to get flustrated and let teams have success. They aren't a physical team. The are a finess team and like to beat you with speed. Infact I actually thought they were less physical than pewit, garrison and Troup last year. they beat us last year by a couple TD's but we had them down till the last 4 mins of the game they were able to squeze in a few quick scores off turnovers inside their 20 and make the score look worse than it really was.

lol

Finesse? Lol

My buddy JJ, I see you still have those jaded glasses that you look through. We actually only scored once in the last quarter of that game 21-6.

That time of year last year we had a new QB and many new players. Our first 5 games were against run dominate teams and we gave up a whopping 13 points total. Just be happy you do not have to face us again this year. Go ask Troup who was the more physical team in the game they played against us.

I believe we will be just fine taking care of teams run games. Newton however does have a better running game and Tatum will have to play disciplined football to keep them of the field on offense.

Yeah, Newton's run attack is always tough. Keeping tabs on QB Elam will be a big factor. Kid can make things happen with his legs. If our DBs can be disciplined enough to play pass first on every play and let our big front 7 handle the run, they'll pick some passes off. Elam doesn't throw the ball all that well. If we can put them in several 3rd and long situations Brooks, Boyd, Nelson, and the new cat at FS should have some great opportunities to pluck a floating duck out of the air. Newton just kind of expects the DBs to bite on the run and just sling it up expecting no DBs to be there after reeling off 8 or 9 run plays in a row. Easier said than done though.

All in all, I like our chances against anyone this year. Hyde is gonna be a beast at DE, Lopez is great on the other side. Blackmon looks good in the middle. Smith is a heat sinking torpedo at ILB, looking forward to see what Hicks can do at the other ILB spot. He looks pretty solid. 205 lb Malik Allen at one OLB spot and 190+ Starling at the other OLB spot with 215 lb K. Harris and B. Roberts rotating with all of them. Almost all of these guys play defense only. Gonna have fresh legs at LB all year long. Our defense is deep and nasty this year. A lot of depth, looking forward to seeing this team lay the hat.

Offensively, we are stacked at the skills. A bunch of scat backs, big athletic WRs, big TEs, and Baby D in the slot. Can't wait to see Baby D in live action. Kid reminds me of D-Moe....as far as speed and the way he runs with the ball in his hands.

My buddy JJ, I see you still have those jaded glasses that you look through. We actually only scored once in the last quarter of that game 21-6.

That time of year last year we had a new QB and many new players. Our first 5 games were against run dominate teams and we gave up a whopping 13 points total. Just be happy you do not have to face us again this year. Go ask Troup who was the more physical team in the game they played against us.

I believe we will be just fine taking care of teams run games. Newton however does have a better running game and Tatum will have to play disciplined football to keep them of the field on offense.

lol we didn't even have a qb hahaha....at all...our RB had to play qb and a freshman RB had to fill in his spot. And yall still struggled ha. And yes Newton hopefully will be healthy so yall get a realistic look at them. I still think yall win in a close one. And that score came with what 1:23 secs left to play lol.....