Ash out

Immortal13

Word on TexAgs is neither Ash or his family wanted him to play but Coach Strong made him.

You can't make this stuff up.... oh wait.... I guess you can. LOL!

Time for David Ash to concentrate on his education - period. Like WETSU said, there is nothing to gain. I really think he could have been a pretty good QB for the Longhorns had he stayed healthy. No sense in saving Heard at this point. Play Swoopes with an occasional series to Heard if possible.

My thing is, at this point in his career his nfl chances are done. No team is going to draft him, no team will even sign him because he won't be able to pass a nfl physical/concussion test. So if you know football is not your future, why keep playing? He will still be on scholarship if he can't play. It's not like text is a MNC favorite and he might win one if he fights through it. There's literally zero to gain and tons to lose. If I'm Charlie Strong I do not play the kid again. Period. It will be on your conscious for the rest of your life if you let him play and he ends up ruined forever.

"Concussion tests" aren't hard to "pass." It is all about memory, and mind reaction. And before you take one, they usually have a baseline test based on his answers from the original tests.

Here is the thing, a Grade 1 concussion is generally a headache for a week or 2. People can suffer several of those and be good 1 week after the headache is gone. Long term effects of concussions are still "unknown" as the studies being done are conclusive yet. However, we do know from seeing the long term suffering of boxers and some NFL players the potential future for multiple concussion victims. However, old NFL players that are suffering from the effects of concussions likely had up to 30 or more concussions in their career. So I am somewhat skeptical of the actual long term effects to Ash as of this moment, but I will not blame him if he called it a career either.

My thing is, at this point in his career his nfl chances are done. No team is going to draft him, no team will even sign him because he won't be able to pass a nfl physical/concussion test. So if you know football is not your future, why keep playing? He will still be on scholarship if he can't play. It's not like text is a MNC favorite and he might win one if he fights through it. There's literally zero to gain and tons to lose. If I'm Charlie Strong I do not play the kid again. Period. It will be on your conscious for the rest of your life if you let him play and he ends up ruined forever.

I suffered a knee injury in HS that led to 3 doctors telling me I would never play sports again. I spent two years working as hard as I could to play anyway. My point is, when you love the game that much, you will do everything you can to play it for as long as you can....especially when you know you're not going to be able to do it for a career.

Not that I'm saying Ash should keep playing, I'm merely answering your question "why keep playing?".

An overwelming majority of college athletes will not go on to the professional ranks. Some stick it out for the free education, some stick it out for the love of the game. I imagine that Ash falls into one of those two categories, if not both.

Hopefully the University of Texas will honor their commitment to Ash if he decides to hang it up. At the very least, I would expect to see him around the team as a student assistant or something, if coaching is what he is interested in...

I do not know of a div 1 school that doesn't honor the scholorship for medical reasons. All schools have medical scholorships for this.

I never was much of an athlete, so I wasn't sure.

I know he loves the game, but now he needs to start thinking about his long term health...

"I'm telling y'all, the dude can play. You better be ready" - Jaxon Shipley on Tyrone Swoopes.

I hope he knows what he's talking about, then again he may have said the same thing about Case last year.

It's possible, did you know their dads were teammates? And their big brothers are best friends, they go fishing together all the time.

Ash was kinda predictable to not make the season with his ongoing issues, his leadership is going to be missed.. I think the bigger issue here is Texas Senior center who has played 40 games is out as well. He lines up the whole group, gives assignments, and reads defenses. He is almost like a coach.. the other 4 lineman, have only started 2 games each. So a lot of inexperience on that O line and now QB.. Texas has some serious teams coming up, BYU, Baylor and OU, Don't think these guys aren't going to stack the box on them and blitz like a run away train on 3rd and long. Swoops has his work cut out.. Strong will have to ask his D to carry this team the rest of the way..

Ash was kinda predictable to not make the season with his ongoing issues, his leadership is going to be missed.. I think the bigger issue here is Texas Senior center who has played 40 games is out as well. He lines up the whole group, gives assignments, and reads defenses. He is almost like a coach.. the other 4 lineman, have only started 2 games each. So a lot of inexperience on that O line and now QB.. Texas has some serious teams coming up, BYU, Baylor and OU, Don't think these guys aren't going to stack the box on them and blitz like a run away train on 3rd and long. Swoops has his work cut out.. Strong will have to ask his D to carry this team the rest of the way..

UCLA as well. This could be 4 losses in 5 games kind of run for Texas... Some young players are going to have to step up in a big way to keep them .500 or better during that stretch of BYU, UCLA, Baylor and OU. Thank God for Kansas in the middle there.

• 2 weeks later...

Been an Ash fan since day one. Wish him the best and hookem!

Me too. I feel really bad for the young man.

15-7 as a starter

31 passing TD's 7th all time at Texas

4728 career passing yds 8th

2699 yds in 2012 8th best in UT history

Makes you sick for him that he couldn't stay healthy.