6 Man Football - Why?

BlackBeard

You need to catch a 6-man football game. It's "different" for sure, field is a different size, rules are different, but it sure is exciting. Kids just want to play football, and at some schools there's just not enough students to make, or keep an 11-man team. It's an alternative, and for the kids.

I understand the obvious reason - not enough kids but why field football teams that are 5 men less than a full compliment?

Is 6 man football really football?

I don't get it.

BL...we are a competition driven society....let the boys play....some of the most innovative football was by 6 man people....Houston Gambler Coach Jack Pardee was an old 6 man guy....the run and shoot was an off-shoot of that mentality.....the spread....hmmmmm....get as MANY PEOPLE out of the box as possible....6man stuff....YEP...it is real football....just "fast break".....wait a minute.....we "NASCAR" with the "big boys"....hmmmm PLUS it's very entertaining.....except when you are on the wrong side of the score after half and you go home because of the points rule.....

For a losing team there's more running in six-man football than basketball or soccer sometimes. I say say narrow up the field some so everyone aint chasing Tookie during a 73-0 thrashing thats not fun what-so-ever.

They change the field to 90-yards long and 40-yards wide if I'm not mistaken. There's definitely a lot more field to cover with a little over half the players. It's wide open football. That's for sure.

It's gimmicky, entertaining, and an adequate substitute for tiny schools in rural areas.

But is it football? No. Without true line play it's not really football.

If you don't have enough kids, I guess six-man is better than nothing (although I would just move to a different school district, but that's just me). But to say it's the same thing as football is to say playing three-on-three halfcourt is the same as playing real basketball.

Is it fun? Sure. Does it enable you to have a game when numbers are scarce? Mos def. But it's a pale imitation, at best.

I went to a small 1A school back in the day and we played 11 man ball. After I graduated the numbers dropped and they went to 6 man. I tried watching some games but it just wasn't the same. Yes it is a competitive sport but I compare it more to the pick up games we used to play in the back yard on Sunday afternoon's. I agree it gives the kids something to do but it just isn't real football to me. Everyone is elligible to catch a pass and the QB can't run unless someone touches the ball before him. Most teams snap it to the RB and he hands it off to the QB to get around that little rule. Furthermore if you have 2-3 kids that can run a 4.5 or better there is too much open space to catch them. One quick move and they are gone to the house, which results in the crazy high scoring games. Now that same school did go undefeated in 98', winning the state championship and I believe the 45 point mercy rule was in effect in almost all of those games. When my son got old enough to play we moved to another town so he could play real football. I see it both ways but I prefer 11 man ball. Plus those kids, even if they are exceptional, don't get as much exposure as the bigger schools. Just my thoughts. GO MALAKOFF TIGERS!!!!!!!!! LOL

I am also from the Panhandle, and during the "good ol days" 70's......my town was a DOMINATING force in 11 man football....then I-40 came thru and "old 66" was no more.....the town just about dried up and the numbers went down....they now play 6 man football....the "old timers" played 6 man there in the 30's and 40's and when I was playing use to talk about how good they were.....in 1952 we started 11 man ball and won 21 of 25 district championships...yes that was when ONLY ONE went to the BIG SHOW....last 11 man championship was 1976....football went WAY DOWN.....in 1998 went to 6 man football. Have talked those still in the area and they say it's not 11 man...BUT on Friday Night.....It is the ONLY GAME in town.....and they still support just like they did way back when......NOW I have coached at a small school that had just come up from 6 man football.....1st 11 man football game...one of our LB was going CRAZY....Mike, what's wrong....COACH THERE ARE WAY TOO MANY PEOPLE OUT HERE...I AM GETTING CONFUSED!!!!!!....what ever "floats your boat"

I went to a small 1A school back in the day and we played 11 man ball. After I graduated the numbers dropped and they went to 6 man. I tried watching some games but it just wasn't the same. Yes it is a competitive sport but I compare it more to the pick up games we used to play in the back yard on Sunday afternoon's. I agree it gives the kids something to do but it just isn't real football to me. Everyone is elligible to catch a pass and the QB can't run unless someone touches the ball before him. Most teams snap it to the RB and he hands it off to the QB to get around that little rule. Furthermore if you have 2-3 kids that can run a 4.5 or better there is too much open space to catch them. One quick move and they are gone to the house, which results in the crazy high scoring games. Now that same school did go undefeated in 98', winning the state championship and I believe the 45 point mercy rule was in effect in almost all of those games. When my son got old enough to play we moved to another town so he could play real football. I see it both ways but I prefer 11 man ball. Plus those kids, even if they are exceptional, don't get as much exposure as the bigger schools. Just my thoughts. GO MALAKOFF TIGERS!!!!!!!!! LOL

I think that is what I would do.

Six man football .... Why not?

When short in numbers, better than whatever else is out there.

When I was growing up my dad called a lot of 8-man games.

I like it a little more because it's more like 11-man ... but Dad told me to never, never tell a long time 6-man fan that it ain't football. Guarantee they are more fanatical than eleven man people because they know the alternative - Madden '14.

And everybody outta use their local open date to take in a 6-man game.

And how about those Canadians 'eh, they use 12 ... where'd that come from?

I was principal last year at a small school in the panhandle. Never seen a six man game till I got there. There are some great athletes in small towns like Lefors, Miami, Groom,and Follett. Those boys can play at any level. Hard to field 11 man team when you have 37 kids in school. Go watch a six man game if you get the chance. Even an old slot-t guy that hates passing like me, fell in love with the six man game.

They change the field to 90-yards long and 40-yards wide if I'm not mistaken. There's definitely a lot more field to cover with a little over half the players. It's wide open football. That's for sure.

It is an 80 yd field..15 yards for a first down...every player is a receiver...whoever takes the snap cant cross the line of scrimmage with the ball... they can legally drop kick the ball through the uprights...and if a team is leading by 45 points at any point after halftime the game is called.

........(although I would just move to a different school district, but that's just me).......

Moving to a different district just for athletic purposes is against the rules. You wouldn't (or more accurately, shouldn't) be allowed to participate.

Moving to a different district just for athletic purposes is against the rules. You wouldn't (or more accurately, shouldn't) be allowed to participate.

It might be against the rules but it happens.

Can you quote this rule because I know for a fact that a kid could go to Texas High (open campus) from a town (say in Hooks), pay a fee, and go to school and play sports there.

It is an 80 yd field..15 yards for a first down...every player is a receiver...whoever takes the snap cant cross the line of scrimmage with the ball... they can legally drop kick the ball through the uprights...and if a team is leading by 45 points at any point after halftime the game is called.

Yep, sounds like football to me. lol

It might be against the rules but it happens.

Can you quote this rule because I know for a fact that a kid could go to Texas High (open campus) from a town (say in Hooks), pay a fee, and go to school and play sports there.

I can't, but I do know that if you live out of district and your past coach won't sign some kind of "non-athletic purpose" release, you have to wait a year before you can play sports at the new school.

....and you are right. People do it anyway. THat's why I added in my original statement "should not" instead of "could not". lol

I can't, but I do know that if you live out of district and your past coach won't sign some kind of "non-athletic purpose" release, you have to wait a year before you can play sports at the new school.

....and you are right. People do it anyway. THat's why I added in my original statement "should not" instead of "could not". lol

If the kid moves in as a incoming freshman, there is no waiting period.

The key is to know when you are going to switch schools and hope you get lucky jumping ship. lol

If the kid moves in as a incoming freshman, there is no waiting period.

The key is to know when you are going to switch schools and hope you get lucky jumping ship. lol

They still have to wait. Promise that is a fact. It only works if they move before getting in high school. If you you move at the start of 8th grade you have to sit a year of varsity, but since you can't play varsity as an 8th grader it doesn't matter. So moving at the start of 8th grade is best.

Yes it is football and just as important to those small towns as all the other classifications. I personally played 8 man football in the early 70s. The center and guards are ineligible receivers so really only miss the tackles and one in the backfield. Much more similar to 11-man and I think they should bring it back. I have never seen a 6 man game in person but it is on my bucket list.

Yes it is football and just as important to those small towns as all the other classifications. I personally played 8 man football in the early 70s. The center and guards are ineligible receivers so really only miss the tackles and one in the backfield. Much more similar to 11-man and I think they should bring it back. I have never seen a 6 man game in person but it is on my bucket list.

By definition it is not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_football

the kids playing it don't give a rip whether you guys think it's real football or not....THEY enjoy it and that's all that matters...... :P

I agree them boy's in Leverett's Chapel and Coach Evans would agree. Besides were would they go to school Overton West Rusk or Kilgore? Just saying

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

Spud