Week Six: Greenville at Longview

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (2-2) vs Greenville Lions (3-1)  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who win?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Greenville in a close one
    • Greenville in a blow out

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HAHA it was more directed at some Lobo fans. But I do love the PaPa rhetoric when you're like 2-10 against us since the turn of the Century. And have a losing record against us all-time.

Every proud Papa enjoys seeing his little ones getting excited over catching the small fish.

I see that win against Pine Tree has y'all feeling better about your season lol

Lol. What?

We knew we'd struggle early in the season only to progress as the season went on. And honestly LV beats JT at 100%. You beat underclassmen by 16....not impressive.

Small fish? Lol says the person who's Lions have beaten Longview TWICE since 2000?

Did we just get trashed by a Gladewater fan?! Man... This is how I know it's bad...

You know what's funny? In those two lucky wins by north tyler...it took injuries/absent players for them to win em. lol

longview2.pnggreenville2.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (2-2, 1-0) VS GREENVILLE LIONS (3-1, 1-0)

DATE: Friday, October 3rd, 2014

TIME: 7:30 PM

LONGVIEW BROADCAST: Sunny 106.5 FM KOOI

GREENVILLE BROADCAST: 105.9 FM KGVL

longview.pngSERIES TIED 1-1-0 greenville.png

The two schools are tied at 1-1-0 when the game is a non-district contest.

The two schools have never played a district contest.

The two schools have never played a playoff contest.

The two schools have never played at a neutral location.

The Lobos have a 1-0-0 lead when the game is played at Longview.

The Lions have a 1-0-0 lead when the game is played at Greenville.

Longview won the last meeting against the Lions.

The two schools have never played at (new) Lobo Stadium before.

The Lobos have a 1-0-0 lead when the game is played on October 3rd.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES

10.03.1947 - Longview 16 Greenville 0 - Lobo Stadium

12.07.1934 - Greenville 47 Longview 16 - Phillips Field

FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW:

How quickly a season can turn around. After staring at just their fifth 0-3 start since 1930 right the face entering their last non-district contest against #2 ranked Monroe Neville, the Lobos pulled two games out of their hats and now have a chance to do what none of the other five 0-2 start teams since 1930 have done...have a winning record at any point in the season. The Lobos opened their 2014 district campaign with a resounding 66-13 victory over crosstown rival Pine Tree. The win marked the 6th straight win on Pine Tree's campus, their fourth straight win over the Pirates overall and improved to 10-1 in district openers under current head coach John King. The more impressive part about the Lobos' season opening win was that the Lobos scored 56 points in the first half, the most any Longview team had ever scored in the opening half of play in school history. The Lobos also improved to 54-3 under John King in district action. Now standing in their way, is an unfamiliar foe in the Greenville Lions. The Lobos and Lions have met only twice in their history and not since 1947 when Greenville traveled to Longview. The 67 years (to the date) distance between meeting will be the 3rd longest duration between meeting in school history for Longview, falling behind only 70 years between Longview meeting Rockwall (1934 to 2004), and 72 years between Longview and Sulphur Springs playing (1945 to 2008). The Greenville Lions are on a hot streak so far this season...and who wouldn't be after 3 wins in their first 4 games on the season AFTER suffering through 40 consecutive losses. Friday's district win against Mount Pleasant (24-23) was Greenville's first district win in 26 district games dating back to the 2009 season finale against Rockwall. Now the last streak for Greenville to break in their season of rebirth will perhaps be the toughest they've faced so far. Winning a district game on the road (16 games currently). Their first district road test of the season comes to Longview. The Lobos return home for their first home district game, currently riding a 27-game home winning streak that dates back to the start of the 2004 season. The Lobos have never lost a home district game under head coach John King. Not to mention for Greenville, the Lobos are holding Homecoming 2014 at Lobo Stadium this Friday night where Longview has a perfect 10-0 mark under John King.

WEEK FIVE 15-5A SCORES:

Hallsville 21 Marshall 19

Pine Tree 13 Longview 66

Sulphur Springs 29 Texas High 42

Greenville 24 Mount Pleasant 23

WEEK SIX 15-5A SCHEDULE:

Longview vs Greenville

Marshall vs Pine Tree

Mount Pleasant vs Sulphur Springs

Texas High vs Hallsville

DISTRICT 12-5A STANDINGS:

1st. Greenville (3-1, 1-0)

2nd. Hallsville (3-1, 1-0)

3rd. Longview (2-2, 1-0)

4th. Texas High (2-2, 1-0)

5th. Marshall (2-2, 0-1)

6th. Sulphur Springs (1-3, 0-1)

7th. Mount Plesasant (0-4, 0-1)

8th. Pine Tree (0-4, 0-1)

LONGVIEW LOBOS

Record: 2-2 (1-0)

District: 15-5A

Coach: John King (113-27 in 11 seasons) (Playoffs: 27-10)

First Year of Football: 1909

All-Time Record: 667-334-52 (Playoffs: 55-37-1)

Playoff Appearances: 39

Last Playoff Appearance: 2013, 5A Division II Regional Round

State Championships: 1937 (1A)

State Championship Appearances: 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1)

SCHEDULE:

08.29 - at Lufkin - Loss 44-14

09.05 - vs John Tyler - Loss 41-25

09.13 - Monroe Neville (In Shreveport) - Win 19-13

09.26 - at Pine Tree - Win 66-13

10.03 - vs Greenville

10.10 - vs Marshall

10.17 - at Texas High

10.24 - vs Mount Pleasant

10.31 - at Sulphur Springs

11.07 - vs Hallsville

GREENVILLE LIONS

Record: 3-1 (1-0)

District: 15-5A

Coach: Marvin Sedberry (74-74-2 in 14 seasons) (Playoffs: 8-8)

First Year of Football: 1909

All-Time Record: /-/-/ (Playoffs: 20-16-4)

Playoff Appearances: 20

Last Playoff Appearance: 2003, 4A Division I Bi-District Round

State Championships: 1933 (1A)

State Championship Appearances: 1933 (1A), 1935 (1A)

Schedule:

08.29 - at North Garland - Win 24-21

09.05 - vs Royse City - Win 27-24

09.13 - vs Princeton - Loss 46-34

09.26 - vs Mount Pleasant - Win 24-23

10.03 - at Longview

10.10 - at Sulphur Springs

10.17 - vs Marshall

10.24 - at Hallsville

10.31 - vs Texas High

11.07 - at Pine Tree

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: October 3rd

In 1924, the Loboes grabbed a 6-0 lead following a 45 yard pass to Dliler, but the Indians tied it late in the fourth and held on to the tie at 6-6.

In 1930, Longview knocked off Winnsboro 30-0 in the first district game of the season.

In 1941, Don Fambrough's third touchdown of the game..a five yard touchdown run..late in the fourth quarter sealed Longview's 20-13 victory over Port Arthur Thomas Jefferson.

In 1947, Ed Roach brought in a 35-yard scoring pass in the first quarter and Jimmy Pakenham finished the deal with a 20-yard run as the Lobos shutout the Lions of Greenville 16-0 at Lobo Stadium.

In 1958, Larry Shumaker's 2-yard run in the first quarter looked to be the only points Longview would need until Gene Joffre's ran in from 12 yards out to tie the score and escape the Gopher Bowl with a tie as Longview and Grand Prairie battled to a 6-6 game.

In 1969, Longview rolled up 577 yards of offense while holding the Bulldogs to just 102 as Longview demolished Tyler Emmett Scott, 47-16 at Rose Stadium.

In 1975, the Lobos improved to 5-0 on the season as they rallied up 316 yards rushing and rolled over the Nacogdoches Dragons, 33-7.

In 1980, Ronnie Hunter tallied three touchdown runs and 125 yards rushing to lead the Lobos to a 33-0 shutout of Nacogdoches in Dragon Stadium.

In 1986, the Lobos and Tigers battled back and forth, but at the end of the night the Lobos improved to 4-1 on the year with a 35-19 win over Texas High.

In 1997, Fred Talley scored three rushing touchdowns on the night as the Lobos left James Field with a 28-14 victory over the No. 11 Ruston Bearcats.

In 2003, the Lobos used their big play offense at Rose Stadium to knock off John Tyler, 38-13. Jerrel Williams tallied with a 57 yard run, Malcolm Kelly brought in a 64 yard pass for a touchdown, and quarterback Qunicy Grant raced to the house on a 64-yard run.

In 2008, Longview and Sulphur Springs met for the first time in 72 years at Gerald Prim Stadium. The Lobos jumped out to a 21-0 lead before Sulphur Springs was able to make a rally. But at the end of the night, behind a 375-yard rushing performance, the Lobos topped the nascar-car offense Wildcats 32-13.

lobohowl2_zpscfd7d4bc.gif

Wow

Lmao....he definitely does a great job with the previews/stats and etc. in the game threads. I haven't seen anything like it on a sports board//forum.

me either...sometimes I sit and think '07 got to be high as hell to come up with some stuff like that!

me either...sometimes I sit and think '07 got to be high as hell to come up with some stuff like that!

Does '07 have a real job. We have our differences at times but, yeah he is a master at this journalism type of work. He needs to get paid for it, though.

Does '07 have a real job. We have our differences at times but, yeah he is a master at this journalism type of work. He needs to get paid for it, though.

Yes, but nothing to do with journalism. I did media stuff my first couple years of college before moving on.

Small fish? Lol says the person who's Lions have beaten Longview TWICE since 2000?

Did we just get trashed by a Gladewater fan?! Man... This is how I know it's bad...

LV should have much thanks for 2001 to 2009 seasons. JT had one of it's worst stretches in school history: 17 combined wins during 6 of the 7 seasons that LV and JT played. Yelp, PaPa wasn't feeling to good during that time.

Nac '07, I sure want a shot at y'all. I am already tired of hearing about y'all. Lol!

haven't played longview since 2001 we haven't had much success against the lobos in the past.well then come to think about it we haven't had much success against anybody in the past it would be a interesting matchup.