Van vs. Athens

ThatDude12

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Athens got the better of Van last year in a good game that ended 28-23. I know this is a much improved Van team. We'll find out if Athens is. If not then Van should win IF they play well. Having said that though slowing down Athen's power run game is a major challenge. Van's balanced offense will be tough for Athens to stop as well. In spite of not having played a schedule HLF approves of Van still wins.

Depends on which Athens team shows up

The one who lost to Henderson, had all kinds of penalties, made so many mistakes, no clue on pass D, kept turning the ball over, never threw, except in desperation!

or

The one who played mistake free, only 2 penalties, no turnovers, 2 interceptions, many defensive stops and played the entire game like they wanted it and beat unbeaten Robinson!

No dissing or disrespect here. I hope Athens pulls it off but.....Van ain't no joke this year. I think they are going to surprise a lot of folks. I think it will be a close game. Both offensive's are really good and control the ball well. I think this game comes down to who has the better defense. On paper Van will probably be favored to win it in a close one. Good luck to the Hornets.

This should be a good game. Athens is probably the toughest team Van has faced this year but Van is much better this year than last and IMO will be the toughest team Athens has faced all year. The Vandals will need to bring it but I'm sure we will. Gonna need to play mistake free and it could very well come down to a defensive battle, but in the end I think Van wins.

I really don't think it will be as close as Athens is hoping.

You mean the Hornets are going to beat them worse than Athens expects?

This should be a good game. Athens is probably the toughest team Van has faced this year but Van is much better this year than last and IMO will be the toughest team Athens has faced all year. The Vandals will need to bring it but I'm sure we will. Gonna need to play mistake free and it could very well come down to a defensive battle, but in the end I think Van wins.

Defiantly feel Van is better than Henderson, but better than Hallsville, not so sure about that one.

The Hornets just got thru playing a team very similar in philosophy and strength as the Vandals, in Robinson, and I am expecting a very similarly styled game, that goes all the way to the final buzzer!

This will be a good game and a great way to start off district, with the winner having the inside track to the district crown.

But it down right hurts me that all my fellow HC brothers from Malakoff are on here dissing my Hornets! :(

Not dissing bro just stating an opinion based on games played. I hope that the Hornets pull it off but I don't think it will happen.

So the guy who talks down other teams when his own team didn't make the playoffs wants to tell me when I can talk. Not happening. Over in the Henderson/Carthage thread your own Henderson peeps are saying the same thing about Henderson's schedule your saying about Van's schedule. So you come over here and troll our thread with the same garbage to make yourself feel better.

5-0

HLF I do believe Van has just as many state championships as Henderson does (1 each), and they have more wins and playoff wins (539/28 for Van, 525/26 for Henderson) as a program than Henderson does, so I'm not sure you know what you are talking about...ever. Oh, and Van got those 14 more wins than Henderson in 16 fewer seasons.

HLF you really aren't very bright are you? I stated nothing BUT FACTS, look it up. Also, I have not implied anything, just disputing your fuzzy math. It doesn't matter if your team won state in 2010 or 1979, they aren't the defending state champs, so its history. Apparently history began 5 years ago in Henderson. You can look up everything I stated in the historical section of this website, if you can figure out how to navigate it, that is. You are obviously not the sharpest tool in the shed. Your team had three good years and now you think Henderson is a dynasty. Both programs lost seven (7 for you HLF, I wouldn't want to confuse you with too many two syllable words) games last year, so both would appear to have something to prove this year. Van has soundly beaten all five teams that they have played. Has Henderson? That's about the most you can ask of 15-18 year old boys....they don't make the schedule.

HLF is usually a pretty intelligent poster, I'll give him his props where it's due but seems to me he hates on teams that start having a little success. He was giving Van props at the beginning of the year, now they have a weak schedule and aren't anybody. Like ETSF said, 15-18 year old kids don't make the schedule. But I will say they have made the most of it by their play on the field. Couldn't be more proud of them.

Yeah its fun to watch an offense like that when they can make it work like Athens does. Kind of gives us old guys of the run days a warm retro feeling lol. Vans D has been pretty aggressive this year so will be interesting to see how the teams match up in that respect. Van has been running the spread well with good receivers and a backfield very capable of running the ball. All made possible by one of the best O-lines in 4a ball. Can't wait for this game!