Van vs. Athens

ThatDude12

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like that Athens faces Van first.

I honestly think who ever wins this one, it will determine who wins the district title.

Yeah I'm glad this game is first this year. I think the winner should take district but then there's always Kaufman that could be tough if they can get it together. I'm interested to see what happens between Kaufman and Crandall.

Van is strong, but I do know that Athens has played better with each week. I know Athens has a lot of inexperienced players this year. Many of the Hornets players were on JV last year, two starters were on the Freshman team just a season ago. It looks as if they are buffing out the edges a little more with each week. I hope Athens can keep that going and pull out the win.

Your the one ignorant! You go from this year to 2010 I mean WTH cares what happened in 2010 now?

It happens every year. I just used 2010 as an example. CH had the edge if you compared like opponents, but that didn't mean a hill of beans. Henderson beat them.

No doubt he is. All I remember is what the score was at the end of the game when the ref waved his arms and blew his whistle. That's the bottom line of any game is the final score.

Still picking Van!

That was my exact point. It doesn't matter who beat who on or who win by a bigger margin. Who cares if CH lost to Lindale and Van dominated then. That has no bearing on the way a future game will turn out.

Even when teams play each other twice that does not mean the outcomes will be the same. However, most of the time there is a reason a team "dominated" their opponent. Of course comparing scores is far from a great predictor (& as noted above the opposite of what you expect sometimes happens) but if Van dominated Lindale and CH lost to them I'd say it increases the probability of Van being the better team. To deny that is to deny common sense.

Btw, Van hasn't punted since the Lindale game. We must not have punted many times that game either since we scored 52.

I think Athens will be a big challenge for Van as they seem to be improving each week. At this point I'm not sure they truly are "down" at all from what they were last year.

I'm going to say Van wins 35-21.

Athens had a pretty tough pre-district schedule. Doesn't really surprise me that Hallsville beat them. Not sure what happened with Henderson. I would've picked the Hornets to win that one. No shock that they beat Rusk and Diboll. Then last week Athens takes out Robinson which is not easily done. So they sound ready for district and not down at all to me. Still think Van wins, but it will be a battle because both teams know what this game most likely means.

A team like Athens can have some surprise wins and losses in a season because their offense is just difficult for some teams to deal with. It eats up the clock and wears down the defense. Some teams match up well against it and surprise everyone by beating them.

It appears to be a "good" year to be in Region 2 ... things are certainly wide open ...

District 5

Kennedale 5-0

Springtown 3-2

Alvarado 0-5

FW Castleberrry 0-5

FW Diam Hill-Jarvis 0-5

Lake Worth 0-5

District 6

Argyle 5-0

Sanger 5-0 (3 wins vs opponents with 1 win or less)

Ranchview 4-1 (2 wins vs 0-5 opponents)

Wilmer-Hutchins 2-3 (both wins vs 0-5 opponents)

Pinkston 2-3 (both wins vs 0-5 opponents)

Carter 1-4

District 7

Princeton 4-1 (3 wins vs opponents with 1 win or less)

North Lamar 4-1 (2 wins vs opponents with 1 win or less)

Paris 3-2 (3 wins vs opponents with 1 win or less)

Liberty-Eylau 1-4 (lone win vs 0-5 opponent)

Pittsburg 1-4 (lone win vs 0-5 opponent)

Quinlan Ford 0-5

District 8

Van 5-0

Athens 3-2

Wills Point 3-2

Crandall 1-4 (lone win vs opponent with 1 win)

Kaufman 1-4 (lone win vs 0-5 opponent)

Mabank 1-4 (lone win vs 0-5 opponent)

It appears to be a "good" year to be in Region 2 ... things are certainly wide open ...

District 5

Kennedale 5-0

Springtown 3-2

Alvarado 0-5

FW Castleberrry 0-5

FW Diam Hill-Jarvis 0-5

Lake Worth 0-5

District 6

Argyle 5-0

Sanger 5-0 (3 wins vs opponents with 1 win or less)

Ranchview 4-1 (2 wins vs 0-5 opponents)

Wilmer-Hutchins 2-3 (both wins vs 0-5 opponents)

Pinkston 2-3 (both wins vs 0-5 opponents)

Carter 1-4

District 7

Princeton 4-1 (3 wins vs opponents with 1 win or less)

North Lamar 4-1 (2 wins vs opponents with 1 win or less)

Paris 3-2 (3 wins vs opponents with 1 win or less)

Liberty-Eylau 1-4 (lone win vs 0-5 opponent)

Pittsburg 1-4 (lone win vs 0-5 opponent)

Quinlan Ford 0-5

District 8

Van 5-0

Athens 3-2

Wills Point 3-2

Crandall 1-4 (lone win vs opponent with 1 win)

Kaufman 1-4 (lone win vs 0-5 opponent)

Mabank 1-4 (lone win vs 0-5 opponent)

Good stuff DOB and while I agree with you I think it's interesting that none of the polls do.

Region 1 has 4 ranked teams (Stephenville,Big spring, Andrews, Graham). 1 of them is in the top 10.

Region 2 has 3 ranked teams. All 3 are in the top 10 (Argyle,Kennedale,Van).

Region 3 has 2 ranked teams (Navasota,El Campo). 1 is in the top 10.

Region 4 has 1 ranked team. #11 La Vernia

Good stuff DOB and while I agree with you I think it's interesting that none of the polls do.

Region 1 has 4 ranked teams (Stephenville,Big spring, Andrews, Graham). 1 of them is in the top 10.

Region 2 has 3 ranked teams. All 3 are in the top 10 (Argyle,Kennedale,Van).

Region 3 has 2 ranked teams (Navasota,El Campo). 1 is in the top 10.

Region 4 has 1 ranked team. #11 La Vernia

While a good portion of the 1's are leaning toward being set in R2, the rest of the tiers are wide, wide open ... looking at the bracket opens some probable matches that indicate that just as in old days the luck of the draw certainly helps .... example: the #2 in Van's district will have to deal with Kennedale the second week ... that's probably the worst part of the regional bracket ... and this is where the weird things happen - it might be an advantage to finish fourth rather than second - because rather than being in a bracket looking at Kennedale, Van, or Argyle - you are probably dealing with Princeton or North Lamar ... I have seen both - and I know who I would rather be in the 4-team box with ... anyway ....