mikev14x

36 members have voted

1. 1. Westwood at Malakoff Who wins this?

• Malakoff Dominates and lives up to their ranking!
    • Westwood dominates and exposes Malakoff
    • Malakoff wins in a squeaker and shows their overrated.
    • Westwood wins close and shows Malakoff is overrated and they are under rated.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looks like westwood posters are taking it on game at a time and is worried about who ever there playing this week. Maybe we will here from them Monday.

Westwoood does not have people who get on smoaky - I did at one time but moved. I saw Westwood scrimmage Franklin in preseason. They are much improved from last year but they are going to struggle in this game.

Will say their skill positions can hang with anyone. Where they will struggle is in the trenches. Hope it is not so because I know a lot of these kids - but - Malakoff overwelms in second half

Westwoood does not have people who get on smoaky - I did at one time but moved. I saw Westwood scrimmage Franklin in preseason. They are much improved from last year but they are going to struggle in this game.

Will say their skill positions can hang with anyone. Where they will struggle is in the trenches. Hope it is not so because I know a lot of these kids - but - Malakoff overwelms in second half

Their skill positions as in their 2 fast kids I've seen in their highlights? I agree, their 2 kids can run with anyone, but I think one of them plays one way and the other doesn't play much of the other side of the ball. Only 2 guys with speed will be tough to play against Malakoff with.

Westwood change it up last game playing a lot of kids both ways. 10 and 4 had about the same amount of touches. #4 Started at running back for the first time. Both played defense and 10 has not played defense all year. There big tall kid also got a lot of action on defense and had not seen any action over there before that last game.

Malakoff will start slow but after the half it will get nasty. Malakoff wins big and we all will be waiting on the 7-0 Teague @ 7-0 Malakoff game. This game will be a must see for all the state of Texas football watchers.

Malakoff has usually started fast and put in second and third string later sometimes in the second qtr. Here are some halftime scores the best I can recall. Mildred 36-6, Dangerfield 25-0, Kerens 28-0, Edgewood 32-16 and Scurry-Rosser 50-6.

Ok I changed my vote - Green and Hicks both have 100 + Games - Frazzier Lights it up in the air. Westwood wins in Squeaker

Not sure they will put up 200+ on the ground against Malakoff's D...do not know the stats but I would bet they havent given up 200 total yrds in many games this year....only time will tell

^ Article from Paper - Westwood will have work cut out for them

What a great way to kick-off the district season in District 11,Class 3A, Division 1.

Two of the three teams that are unbeaten in this district will play each other with the winer having a advantage to be crowned district champs at seasons end.

Westwood (5-0) and Malakoff (5-0) will play face off at 7:30 p.m. Friday at Malakoff High School. Teague is the other undefeated team in the district.

Westwood is coming off a 41-12 win over Anderson-Shiro who was ranked No.4 in Class 2A, Division-1, Region-3 heading into last Friday's contest.

Westwood Head Coach Kevin Hayes said despite the slow start to the game, he thought the team responded well with the way they played for the rest of the game to earn a blowout win.

The Panthers rushed for 431 yards against Anderson-Shiro. Steven Green, Kaigan Baker and D.J. Hicks combined for 386 of those yards. Hayes said having a good stable of running backs is convenient because he can distribute the ball evenly.

“The offensive line has done a great job to let our guys running the ball have some success,” Hayes said.

The win garnered some attention from Texas High School coaches as Westwood did receive some votes but were not ranked in the Class 3A, Division-1, Region-3 coaches poll. Despite Westwood being noticed, Hayes said he tries not to think about it.

“I don't get wrapped around any of that,” Hayes said. “For us coming off so many down years and having a new staff and new program. It's a day-by-day week-by-week work in progress for us. We're just trying to change the culture here in Westwood.”

Now Westwood will have to play another ranked foe in Malakoff who is ranked No.2 in Class 3A, Division-1, Region-3.

Hayes said Malakoff is a good football team and can see why their one of the top teams in the state.

“They have a lot of returning letterman from last year's team and a good senior class,” Hayes said. “Their just a solid from top to bottom. Coach [Jamie] Driskell does a great job with them.

Last season, Malakoff lost in the regional semifinals to New Boston. The Tigers had their second 11-win season in program history and it looks like their on their way to do it again this season.

Malakoff has wins over Mildred, Daingerfield, Kerens, Edgewood and Scurry Rosser. The Tigers scoring offense is averaging 49.6 yards a game and the Tigers scoring defense is giving up an average of 10.8 points a game

The Tigers offense will rely heavily on running back Marcus Dowell who had 1,015 yards rushing and 22 touchdowns last season. Quarterback Stephen Wolfe has the talent to make the Tigers a threat through the air as well as he passed for 1,172 yards last season with 14 touchdowns and two interceptions. He will be throwing it to tight end Braylon Cable.

Defensively, the Tigers are lead by defensive lineman Colton Barker and defensive back Jared Givens.

Hayes said the key for the Panthers will be not to give up the big play against Malakoff.

“We're going to have to make them drive the ball to get touchdowns,” Hayes said. “On the flip side we're going to have to control the ball on the line of scrimmage. I feel like if we have the ball then it's going to be tough for them to score so the key for us to control the football.”

Ok I changed my vote - Green and Hicks both have 100 + Games - Frazzier Lights it up in the air. Westwood wins in Squeaker

Ha! I can't remember the last time somebody has rushed for 100 against Malakoff. Edgewood did this year, but 65 of that 105 was against their second defense at the end of the game. Also, "occationally" Malakoff plays slot T and wing T teams and "occationally" they go for 100, but definitely not 2 guys going for a 100...

No disrespect to Malakoff, but what good team has Malakoff beaten thus far this season reciever18? Understand this, I believe Mtown will win big tonight but the question still stands.

DF is a very good football team. Unfortunatley their record doesn't represent that because their 5 loses came to Atlanta, Gladewater, Gilmer and Henderson, four very good 4A teams, and us. Edgewood is also a very good football team with a stout RB and a 6'5" 235 lb D1 QB who is going to Rice. Mildred is down a little bit. Kerens is always tough and Scurry is decent as well. All five of these teams went several rounds deep in the play offs last year and will probably go again. And no disrespect to Westwood but I pose the same question back to you, what good team has Westwood beaten thus far this year? And like you I also think that Malakoff will win big tonight. I think Westwood is heading in the right direction and has done a 180 from last year but this is not the same Malakoff team from last year.

Malakoff by 28! \

Best move by Malakoff was to bring in former Cross Roads Hd Coach Brad Wallace. Outstanding coach and football mind! Since he was done wrong by Cross Road I think Malakoff has some good karma in the bank as well.

I don't know about a football mind, but he can dunk a basketball any way you want to see it...