Playoff Game Discussion

rubberhammer

No doubt, Bochy is a tremendous manager, especially in the postseason. The 18 inning ballgame on Saturday night in Washington was an instant classic. Here's a good question for you, rubberhammer - would you have pulled Zimmermann with two outs and the tying run on in the ninth as Williams did, or let him try to finish, given the Nats were at home? It's a good question. Easy for us to second guess Williams now, though.

Wasn't Posey up to bat? I wasn't watching at that time. I can't really comment, other than on my process of thinking. If Posey was up to bat, and he had a good AB against Zimmermen in his previous AB, I would've went to someone else. If he was fooled or hit something weak, I would've left Zimmerman. Nats have more than a few good arms in the pen, you would think they could get it done.

The Angels have let me down, along with the Tigers. Goes to show no matter how much money you're paying guys, it's always about who is hot and who is not this time of the year. I though for sure with Scherzer, Verlander, and Price in a starting rotation that they would win the World Series, but they ran into a hot KC team. I don't have a legitimate prediction for who comes out on top of the AL. There's no telling. I do know this, I'm throwing around Nelly Cruz.

Yes, Posey was the first hitter Storen faced, and you're right - he had a good AB against Zimmermann in the sixth. It was a tough call for Williams.

It has been a very unpredictable A.L. postseason. Hard to believe three Cy Young winners couldn't defeat the Royals even once, although Verlander had it in the bag on Friday, or at least it appeared. For one final time in 2014, the Tigers' bullpen did them in. I thought Ausmus should've had Holliday bunting immediately in the ninth yesterday, rather than trying that ridiculous butcher boy on the first pitch. And I didn't really like his decision to pinch hit the youngster with eight big league AB's in favor of Romine, either.

Glad to see the Angels done, though. They definitely ran into a buzz saw in the form of the Royals. But in true form, if you read C.J. Wilson's postgame comments, he refused to admit he was bad. Sounded like late October 2011 all over again.

And no doubt about it - I'd be holding up four fingers every time Cruzie comes to the plate if I'm Ned Yost.

I'll admit - I hated to see him go after 2011 if for no other reason that he was a good regular season starter, but it does certainly appear that he was a lousy presence in the clubhouse. Heard he got decked on more than one occasion by a teammate in the clubhouse.

I remember that 1985 World Series, too. Saberhagen was tremendous as a 21-year old and George Brett was the Royals' leader. Seems like Mark Gubicza and Danny Jackson were starters for the Royals, too. I vividly remember Don Denkinger's blown call at 1B on Jorge Orta's chopper to Jack Clark and his flip to Todd Worrell. Orta was out by a mile but was called safe. Changed the whole complexion of that Series, as I recall. The Cardinals's Tommy Herr was a 100 RBI guy that season, and he only hit 8 or 9 bombs. McGee and Coleman were jackrabbits on the basepaths and were always in scoring position, it seemed like. As I recall, John Tudor had a tremendous year on the hill for the Cardinals that season. I think he won 20 and posted a sub 2.00 ERA.

Ready to see the Os and Royals though. I am betting low TV ratings but great series.

Great thing about your team not being in you can just sit back and enjoy. Going to be a great series. Orioles in 6.

I'm hoping the Giants and Cardinals get a chance to fight it out. Cardinals are so scrappy. I have no clue what's going to happen in the ALCS. Royals keep constant pressure on the pitcher. Orioles hitters make you pay for throwing a ball over the middle of the plate, which one gives...?

The ALCS should be a great matchup in contrasting styles - the 3-run homer vs. the INF 1B and stolen base. I can't wait to watch it. Should be fun.

Did anybody else think Dale Scott's strike zone was ridiculously slanted in favor of the Cardinals? It got to the point where it was just embarrassing. Ryu threw a full count FB early in the game to Holliday that was closer to the middle of the plate than it was to the inside edge (and mid-thigh high), and ball 4 it was. Then Lackey got pitches that Ryu could only dream about getting. I thought Scott's performance would have been unacceptable for an early March Cactus League ballgame.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking that. I don't remember thinking it was in favor of Cards, but more how it changed from batter to batter. Lefties had nothing called in on them in one inning then the next you could throw 2 balls off the plate in and you were getting rung up. Off the plate to righties was bad as well.

My, how times have changed. 20 years ago, a seventh inning home run would have NEVER drawn a reaction like Adams' did yesterday afternoon. Seeing that fat kid hopping on his way to 1B was embarrassing, considering it was only the seventh inning. I just knew it was going to call for an ear hole FB, but not anymore, evidently.

And the Royals win the pennant! Good for them! They remind me so much of the 1991 Braves and also of the 2010 Rangers in a lot of ways. They play such good solid fundamental baseball. It looks like the Giants may finish off the Cardinals to meet the Royals in the World Series, but I would love to see the NLCS stretch out to six or seven games. I hope the long layoff doesn't hurt the Royals, but it can't be a good thing for a team with so much momentum behind them.