Will 3-4 Texas win another game this season?

A lot of folks were scoffing at barely beating Iowa State. Mark Mangino is the off coordinator and has had success everywhere he's been. I watched them play Kansas state early season and it took a late TD for ksu to win it.

But at the same time, North Dakota State whooped up on them pretty good early in the year (although they are REALLY good). Is this Manginos first year there? If so that would explain the team starting slow and then gelling. They did beat Iowa who isn't that great but still a Power 5 team. And they didn't get absolutely romped by Baylor.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But at the same time, North Dakota State whooped up on them pretty good early in the year (although they are REALLY good). Is this Manginos first year there? If so that would explain the team starting slow and then gelling. They did beat Iowa who isn't that great but still a Power 5 team. And they didn't get absolutely romped by Baylor.

I believe this is Magino's first year there.

I've only seen KSU play Auburn (where they should have won) and OU (which they should have lost lol). As always, they are very well coached and are physical. Fun to watch but a nightmare to play against. But I could see Texas winning if they play well.

Snyder has a great gameplan for whoever he plays. He is one of the best in the business. He makes other teams get out of their comfort zone.

Yes it is mangino's first year there I believe. Iowa states problem is a lack of quality depth, much like Texas. ISU has a good qb, two good rbs, a few decent wr. They have no depth.

I never thought the day would come when Texas would be sitting at 3-4 and in serious jeopardy of not making a bowl game and I'd still be pleased with how things are going. The job that Charlie Strong and company have done is amazing. If you have watched the Longhorns closely since 2009, like I have, you would see the obvious difference he has made in his short time on the 40 acres. He and his staff had an unbelievably tough task this year and most people will never realize just how tough. He has removed the kids from the program that didn't need to be there. He is removing the "softness" from the players and bringing out the best in them. He has raised the bar and expectations back to where they belong. Texas' defense has gone from one of the most embarrassing units in school history to the 2nd best defense in the Big 12. Besides the Iowa St. game and the 3rd quarter against BYU, the defense has been great....and oh, those are the same players that were on that AWFUL defense last year...the only guys different are a true freshman safety that many people believed was a horrible recruit and a walk-on by the name of Dylan Haines. The offense has gotten better and better and Swoopes has come a million miles. Will Texas make a bowl game this year? I don't know. I hope so and I'll hold on to that hope until it's all gone. But Texas will be Texas again, and sooner rather than later with Coach Strong.

Well I don't figure they run at him every play

That's the best place to run .... right at him, he's not very good at stepping up making tackles at or behind the line of scrimage. He makes most of his tackles 5-10 yards down field ...

That's the best place to run .... right at him, he's not very good at stepping up making tackles at or behind the line of scrimage. He makes most of his tackles 5-10 yards down field ...

i never was a big fan of his at first. But like I said, he's not likely to all American but is the most improved on the horn's defense. Take it for what is worth.....

He is the 2nd leading tackler on the team. Perhaps you should watch some games this year or pay better attention.

I have seen evey one broadcast. I never said he didn't make tackles, he just isn't very good at stopping them before they get downfield ...

Everything on the offensive side of the ball was atrocious!

The officials didn't cost Texas the game but they were worse than our offense!

The defense couldn't get a 3rd down stop if their life depended on it.

The worst game of the year by far and no surprise it comes after everyone told Swoopes how great he was and he finally turned the corner.

Everything on the offensive side of the ball was atrocious!

The officials didn't cost Texas the game but they were worse than our offense!

The defense couldn't get a 3rd down stop if their life depended on it.

The worst game of the year by far and no surprise it comes after everyone told Swoopes how great he was and he finally turned the corner.

We want Case! We want Case! We want Case!

Seriously though... UT has at least 2 more wins had Ash stayed healthy

QB and OL are the big issues. Hard to lose your qb and 3/5 of an OL and be consistent.

Biggest problem is offensive coordinators misuse of personnel. J grey shouldn't be in on 4th and short, he is the softest back they have. Brown or foreman should've gotten the ball. Swoopes should be running more plays downhill and pulling the ball on zr. The qb still doesn't understand that on a bootleg play if you make the turn and get the ball out quick the receiver has an opportunity to turn upfield. Malcolm brown is the best back on the team and was silent for most of the second half.

On 1st down the back would tote for 4-5 yards only to follow it up with two incomplete passes. Yes we know the OL is the weakest link on the team, but on 2nd and 6 don't call a play action that takes 5 seconds to develop. I saw that a couple of times that led to sacks or rushed passes.

Look at Kansas state. Aside from Tyler Lockett I'd say Texas had a talent advantage over them. But Kansas state was able to put together drives doing what their players are good at. Texas is still trying to make round pegs fit into square holes. Instead of tailoring the offense to fit the talent on the field they are trying to fit the players to a set gameplan. I also haven't seen a lot of difference in the gameplan from week to week.

No the OC is not the issue. First brown had an injury from. What I saw on the sideline. Next the qb is not the OCs fault, he is teaching him as fast as he can but let's face it he didn't exactly see this kind of defense from the HS he came out of. It is typical of a kid who believes they have speed to take the ball wide, it is what he is doing right now. I know what you think you saw but on the sack after the penalty in the redone, 100% swoops fault. They had 1 drive like you said 4+ yards the two passes in first half, that was the on,y drive that fits what you have said. You can check the drive chart. The OL was not making holes, and for sure not protecting. 3.3 yards a carry.

Also foreman had three carries and one fumble......

Go back and read my post. I didn't say the personnel was his fault, but the misuse of it is. If the OL is weak, why ask them to block long developing plays? If swoopes isn't developing as fast as he should, why keep running plays he is not succeeding at. Where are the qb draws? Why not more zone read with quick passes off of it? Round peg, square hole....... That is misusing what u have or are stuck with. It is the coordinators job to find a weakness in the defense and exploit it, but also to get the most out of the talent you have. You should've watched Kansas state's offense to understand what I'm saying.

From next year on, recruit what you want to run the offense you want to run.

You implied I was saying the personnel they have was their fault. I didn't say that. In fact I said they weren't. The OC is to blame for the misuse of the talent though. Against UCLA they ran a zr play action type pass that was thrown quickly. It worked well and we haven't seen it much since. On the bootlegs swoopes tends to hold the ball too long and the passes don't go for very big gains. He needs to be taught to get the pass out quicker so the receiver can turn up field and run. That problem has been ongoing for weeks. Swoopes has come a long way since the spring and Watson deserves the credit for that. He should also know his strengths and weaknesses the best and fit the offense to fit it along with what the OL can accomplish.

I didn't know brown was injured. I hope he is fine