A&M Coach

hogwash

Whats his record when he doesn't have a QB name Casey or Johnny??????

Not really a fair question... He's 8 games into his first season without Johnny.

People act like this was a major surprise. 90% of the country had them predicted 5-3 at this point when the season started. What happened was Kenny Hill and the defense played out of their minds against USCe. They looked the part of a top 10 team for one week. Then people bought into the hype. This team has ALWAYS had fundamental flaws that were going to show their heads at some point. Did I expect to see a game like what we saw last week? Never. At least not under Sumlin. But the fact still remains that there are talent issues at linebacker, MAJOR coaching issues on defense, and you have a qb who can't stretch the field. What's happened is teams have learned Hill can't stretch the field. So they press up on receivers and play the short routes and either blitz or sit in a zone. What it's done is completely take away A&Ms offense. This won't change until A&M can start throwing vertically and stretching the field.

The defense could be night and day different with 2-3 personnel changes and a coaching change.

Not really a fair question... He's 8 games into his first season without Johnny.

People act like this was a major surprise. 90% of the country had them predicted 5-3 at this point when the season started. What happened was Kenny Hill and the defense played out of their minds against USCe. They looked the part of a top 10 team for one week. Then people bought into the hype. This team has ALWAYS had fundamental flaws that were going to show their heads at some point. Did I expect to see a game like what we saw last week? Never. At least not under Sumlin. But the fact still remains that there are talent issues at linebacker, MAJOR coaching issues on defense, and you have a qb who can't stretch the field. What's happened is teams have learned Hill can't stretch the field. So they press up on receivers and play the short routes and either blitz or sit in a zone. What it's done is completely take away A&Ms offense. This won't change until A&M can start throwing vertically and stretching the field.

The defense could be night and day different with 2-3 personnel changes and a coaching change.

Is it ever a fair question? There is always going to be some sort of factor that the opposite viewpoint can throw out there against a coach.

But you've got to admit, A&M and Sumlin haven't exactly helped themselves out. Giving an extension and a raise for a disappointing season based on expectations. Tooting your horn might loud after whipping a very overrated team. The higher you climb the harder you fall, and A&M climbed the ladder real fast.

He is a good coach is he Saban no but dang some folks act like he got stupid after a horrific game.

Mack Brown got destroyed by Ou but did that make him a terrible coach.

Bill billicheck was horrible with the Browns

Pete Carroll was bad at New England

Nick Saban was bad at Michigan st.

Sumlin is the right guy he just needs a new oc and def Dc.

Could he use more discipline you bet. Horrible coach not even close.

I am sure one of our favorite aggie fans will post your numbers btex, d1980, Immortal13, waggle, gobbler in 3,2 1

Saban got out of Miami quick too

What happened to the offense won't skip a beat theory you kept boasting. That the offense would probably be better without JF. I said that 30% of the offensive output was due to JF extending drives with his improv running and extending plays. I guess I still don't know what I'm talking about huh? At least the punt team is getting some game action now

Don't think the OC should be under much of a microscope right now. Hill is a good quarterback, but he has his limitations, and those limitations really hamper the offense.

Watch any game and you will see that Hill struggles with the deep ball. Not the best touch or accuracy on it, leaving the offense to continue with short passes. Defenses know this and crowd that part of the field, forcing more and more turnovers and incompletions. That has bit the offense, along with the lack of a running game, which is surprising to me. Between Trey Williams, Brandon Williams, and Tre Carson, I really thought they could get physical and just push the ball down the field. Instead they are playing much more as a finesse team instead of a physical, bullying type team.

I think Snyder is fair game to snipe. His defense has gotten progressively worse, and it hasn't shown any signs of improvement.

If Snyder is fair game, then so is Sumlin. He is the head of the ship and the buck stops with him. Sumlin needs to get his coaches together and have a nice "Come to Jesus" meeting. If he can't reign these guys in or rally the team, then ultimately Sumlin will pay the price, whether it be losing their highly touted recruiting class, the teams confidence and respect, or with his job. Either way, it is up to Sumlin to clean up this mess...

What happened to the offense won't skip a beat theory you kept boasting. That the offense would probably be better without JF. I said that 30% of the offensive output was due to JF extending drives with his improv running and extending plays. I guess I still don't know what I'm talking about huh? At least the punt team is getting some game action now

It's not Johnny's legs that's missing in this offense. It's his deep ball... Teams had to respect manziel throwing deep. NOBODY respects KH throwing deep. I will eat my crow though. Kenny hill did not replace Johnny the way I thought he might.

It's not Johnny's legs that's missing in this offense. It's his deep ball... Teams had to respect manziel throwing deep. NOBODY respects KH throwing deep. I will eat my crow though. Kenny hill did not replace Johnny the way I thought he might.

Hill does not have an Evans either. Evans bailed JFF more often than not.

You can now double the best WR because no need to spy the QB.

If they could cut down on the drops it would be much harder to double Kennedy, but Reynolds, Seals-Jones, and Noil have all had big issues with dropping the ball this year.

That said, Hill can extend plays with his legs, he just isn't as good as Manziel was. Hill is more of a Russell Wilson at NC State type player, good but a lot of room to grow and improve as a player.

Whether the defenses respected the deep ball or not it was JF's legs that made the offense go. His improv running was what won him the Heisman too. Sure Hill's inability to throw the deep ball has limited the offense this year. However the fact that JF could bolt any play had to be in the defense's minds every play. That is tough to defend.

Whatever you want to call it, but without a tremendous talent at QB Sumlin has struggled. Same now as it was 3 years ago.

Wasn't Keenum a Briles recruit?

Yeah and Mack struggled when he didn't have Cart McCoy, Vince Bankrupt... So? It's not exactly a novel concept... Without a good QB, his offense based around passing will struggle. YOU REALLY WENT OUT ON A LIMB WITH THAT ONE DIDN'T YOU?

He has coached more games with those QBs than he has coached without them. The sample size is way too small to make a good judgment (and was even smaller 3 years ago). Which is why it's a cherrypicking fallacy. Either way, Kenny isn't getting the job done so he's looking at other options. Hopefully he'll find his next "tremendous talent at QB" and will resume winning.

All these great coaches had a rough stint at one time in their career, and there is one common reason. It doesn't matter how great a coach is, if the guys on the field can't block one on one, can't tackle one on one, don't have much speed and athleticism, there is no heart and desire in the players, or the players simply don't mesh, the coaching makes little difference. Any coach worth anything will admit he's only as good as the guys that can execute his schemes. Those guys on the field can make a coach look like the man or they can make a coach look real bad. The good coaches are good because they surround themselves with quality.