Joe Maddon is now "former" Rays skipper

cheaptrick77

I think he'll find a spot somewhere, but from what I've heard he wants to go to a team that will spend money on players instead of trading them when they're due a big contract. I think the Rangers jumped the gun, and missed out on a great hire. I would say the same for Houston, but I don't know if he'd come here even with the upcoming talent. Some pundits speculated that he would be wearing Dodger blue, but they're sticking with Mattingly for now. I'm thinking the Phillies, Mets, Cubs, Seattle, White Sox, and Boston might be interested in him. I'm happy with Girardi in New York, he's done wonders with a depleted team the last two years. I don't see the Yankees doing much better next year. Baltimore could be an option, because upper management usually tires of Showalter, but he's been solid there.

A tad disrespectful to Jeff Banister, don't you think ???

How has he earned any respect as a manager ? He has a 299 - 330 managing in the minors. The same applies with Hitch, he hasn't done anything in the majors. If either of them do well, then maybe it was, but they don't have any credentials to be respected for.

As for btex's comment, I think you can wait until December. Many times GM's have brought in talent without even consulting the managers. I know George Steinbrenner was notorious for doing just that. Then again he had a propensity to fire managers quickly as well. The Yankees have won 6 more World Series than the Astros and Rangers combined. Only Cincinnati comes close with 4 followed by Oakland, St. Louis, and Boston with 3 each since 1973.

He deserves the same respect Maddon and his 279-339 minor league managerial record deserved prior to the 2006 season ;)

He's getting the same that I gave Maddon then. I wasn't worried about Tampa Bay, but they started playing a lot better. He led them to 4 playoff appearances, without the best lineup or pitching in the world. I'm not saying they were terrible, but many of the players were average at best. Whenever a player really became a star; Tampa would normally let them go to free agency.

I read today that Tampa is thinking about moving to Montreal, so that might have been one of the reasons Maddon left. I don't see it happening, because that move doesn't make any sense.

Big difference in the way the Yankees do things and the rest of the world. Yanks win because they are the evil empire and BUY the best team they can get.

I somewhat agree that the Yankees will pay for talent, but most of the time that goes wasted on free agents. The two biggest failures are AFraud and Teixeira. That's $50 million in lost payroll right there.

• 3 weeks later...