San Augustine Wolves vs Shelbyville Dragons

WDGT

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And vice versa

brother when you talk about state and playoffs Alto is on the top of everyone's list. They field a great team every year. Just know that Shelbyville has some people talking. Work with a guy from Alto whos son is the tall wr and nephew is the qb. ALTO is a great team

brother when you talk about state and playoffs Alto is on the top of everyone's list. They field a great team every year. Just know that Shelbyville has some people talking. Work with a guy from Alto whos son is the tall wr and nephew is the qb. ALTO is a great team

I've been singing Shelbyville praises every since we played last year , go back and look I've stated numerous times that they are top 3 in Region to me and I picked them to win this district back in spring/summer.

I was just basing it off of back in spring many people was brushing Alto off due to graduating a lot the previous season.

I'm still sticking with my Shelbyville to win prediction.

as far as the game vs joaquin, i give it to the rams they ran it down our throats. sometimes the players need to step up. no excuses

you can look for more of the same with sville they run the ball very good and can defend the run well. dont know about the pass as joe doesnt do that much. but they can RUN the ball and since sa cant stop it i look for sville to run at will against the sa defence. i predict sville by a bunch

Nope 2 years of ;(?:$&! Kicking, the same kids are coming back next year

TWB, as much as I love the kids that play for us, we had these kids last year. We have them this year and after that, we'll have plenty of kids coming up in what is becoming a town effort. If you lived here like I do, you would realize this is the beginning of something special. I think that's why 90Fly recognizes what he does.

The Alto, Mart, Refugio, Canandian, Crawford, Goldthwaite type teams in this division are more than a group of players that come through the hallways every now and then. While some of the schools I just listed have better years than others, they are consistently in the BIG GAME talk every single year. For decades now. The test of a team is the game, the test of a program is time. These schools here are PROGRAMS and what has built those PROGRAMS is what is going on in Shelbyville.

To be fair and honest, to everyone in this district, and granted, it is a very tough and competitive district. Arguably the best in the state. But to be fair, no one in this district has the reputation of the schools mentioned above.

SA has been past the second round of the playoffs twice in school history and although they have a State Title, lack of consistency suggest this was most likely a fluke and built around a group of kids and not a PROGRAM

Shelbyville has never been 10-0 and never been past the second round of the playoffs. Not a PROGRAM at all.

Joaquin, absolutely hideous win loss record in the history of their school minus the Gandy Era. He took them to the Semi's in 09 and past the 2nd round only once more - Not a PROGRAM

West Sabine - again, only twice past the 2nd round in school history - Not a PROGRAM

Cushing - never beyond the 1st round - Not a Program

Beckville - in 2000 they were 12-2. That's it for the history of their school. Not a PROGRAM.

District 10AA - Div 1 is no question a very tough district. I has some good teams in it right now. Great teams? That is yet to be determined to be honest and up to this point, based on who has played who and common sense and deductive reasoning, it would be easy to conclude that Shelbyville is the front runner for "best" team in this district. 2nd would be Joaquin or SA or West Sabine with Beckville coming in 5th and Cushing 6th. We will know "how" good these teams are at the conclusion of this season.

You guys and gals who love to come on here and talk about how Mart or Refugio will end the season of whoever comes out of this district are the exact reasons or problems with your own "programs". You have no belief in your own team and contradict yourselves about how "tough" this district is by conceding defeat to those type of schools. That attitude alone is why THEY ARE A PROGRAM and you are simply a season by season team.

It is funny how things shake up as the season develops. Pre-Season suggested Reg III was the weakest. Now that things have shook out a bit, it is easy to see, this may be the toughest of all three regions.

Region I you have, in this order - Canadian, Stratford and Stamford. Trust me folks, regardless of polls, Abernathy isn't on the same level as any of these

Region II you have, in this order - Mart, Crawford, Bosqueville - B'ville never beats these schools, so you are left with the other two and Mart clearly coming out of Reg II

Region III you have, in this order - Alto, Shelbyville, Centerville, Union Grove, Lovelady. Alto and S'ville played down to the wire last year and both are much improved. Look for these two to square off after on December 5th somewhere around Nac to represent this region in the Semi's

Region IV you have, in this order - Refugio, Shiner, Mason - Look for a rematch b/t Refugio and Shiner on neutral ground and don't be surprised if it's Shiner coming out of this regions.

After that and the journey it takes to get to this point, anything is possible.

I see Mart vs Canadian in the semis on one side with a toss up of a game

I see the winner of Alto x Shelbyville playing the winner of Refugio x Shiner on the other side.

^ Creasy you make some very valid points. It bothers me to see people just assume that certain programs are going to dominate. With good coaching and community support, any program can achieve success. Some programs suffer from the notion that "We can't beat Team X because we never have." All kids have the will to win inside them.

You are correct TrueBlue.

Joaquin, IMHO is a great example of that. Decades upon decades of losing and a new guy comes in and all of a sudden things change. Of course, to your average joe looking from the outside in, it's always, "Well, we got some good boys now". Like the previous 80 years was just a bad run of kids? Give me a break. Every team in this district has had better talent than they have right now and every team in this district has had worse talent than what they have right now.

It is what makes football superior to all other sports - THE TEAM concept is an entirely different dynamic than any other sport.

San Augustine has won more games in the 3+ years that Coach Hubbard has been there (26 and counting) then they had in the years since the state championship combined (23). Including the state championship year, San Augustine has won 8 or more games 5 times since 1970...2 of those are under Coach Hubbard. Under Coach Hubbard SA is 15-3 in district with 2 games left this year. The program is definitely on the rise compared to what it has been. It has won its only 2 district championships in the last 40ish years.

Coach Hubbard is doing an outstanding job. I think that's why this district is so tough.
There are good coaches in this district with talent that they seem to understand how to coach to win.'

SA has Hubbard

S'ville has Ferguson

Beckville has TWO GAMBLES

West Sabine has Tod Stark who has done nothing but win there

Joaquin has a perfect fit with Gandy - who they just let go

Cushing has a young man, Jehling, who has made much improvement in only one season

This district is tough for more than one or two reasons

Coach Hubbard is doing an outstanding job. I think that's why this district is so tough.

There are good coaches in this district with talent that they seem to understand how to coach to win.'

SA has Hubbard

S'ville has Ferguson

Beckville has TWO GAMBLES

West Sabine has Tod Stark who has done nothing but win there

Joaquin has a perfect fit with Gandy - who they just let go

Cushing has a young man, Jehling, who has made much improvement in only one season

This district is tough for more than one or two reasons

You know I'm starting to like you more and more.

TWB, as much as I love the kids that play for us, we had these kids last year. We have them this year and after that, we'll have plenty of kids coming up in what is becoming a town effort. If you lived here like I do, you would realize this is the beginning of something special. I think that's why 90Fly recognizes what he does.

The Alto, Mart, Refugio, Canandian, Crawford, Goldthwaite type teams in this division are more than a group of players that come through the hallways every now and then. While some of the schools I just listed have better years than others, they are consistently in the BIG GAME talk every single year. For decades now. The test of a team is the game, the test of a program is time. These schools here are PROGRAMS and what has built those PROGRAMS is what is going on in Shelbyville.

To be fair and honest, to everyone in this district, and granted, it is a very tough and competitive district. Arguably the best in the state. But to be fair, no one in this district has the reputation of the schools mentioned above.

SA has been past the second round of the playoffs twice in school history and although they have a State Title, lack of consistency suggest this was most likely a fluke and built around a group of kids and not a PROGRAM

Shelbyville has never been 10-0 and never been past the second round of the playoffs. Not a PROGRAM at all.

Joaquin, absolutely hideous win loss record in the history of their school minus the Gandy Era. He took them to the Semi's in 09 and past the 2nd round only once more - Not a PROGRAM

West Sabine - again, only twice past the 2nd round in school history - Not a PROGRAM

Cushing - never beyond the 1st round - Not a Program

Beckville - in 2000 they were 12-2. That's it for the history of their school. Not a PROGRAM.

District 10AA - Div 1 is no question a very tough district. I has some good teams in it right now. Great teams? That is yet to be determined to be honest and up to this point, based on who has played who and common sense and deductive reasoning, it would be easy to conclude that Shelbyville is the front runner for "best" team in this district. 2nd would be Joaquin or SA or West Sabine with Beckville coming in 5th and Cushing 6th. We will know "how" good these teams are at the conclusion of this season.

You guys and gals who love to come on here and talk about how Mart or Refugio will end the season of whoever comes out of this district are the exact reasons or problems with your own "programs". You have no belief in your own team and contradict yourselves about how "tough" this district is by conceding defeat to those type of schools. That attitude alone is why THEY ARE A PROGRAM and you are simply a season by season team.

It is funny how things shake up as the season develops. Pre-Season suggested Reg III was the weakest. Now that things have shook out a bit, it is easy to see, this may be the toughest of all three regions.

Region I you have, in this order - Canadian, Stratford and Stamford. Trust me folks, regardless of polls, Abernathy isn't on the same level as any of these

Region II you have, in this order - Mart, Crawford, Bosqueville - B'ville never beats these schools, so you are left with the other two and Mart clearly coming out of Reg II

Region III you have, in this order - Alto, Shelbyville, Centerville, Union Grove, Lovelady. Alto and S'ville played down to the wire last year and both are much improved. Look for these two to square off after on December 5th somewhere around Nac to represent this region in the Semi's

Region IV you have, in this order - Refugio, Shiner, Mason - Look for a rematch b/t Refugio and Shiner on neutral ground and don't be surprised if it's Shiner coming out of this regions.

After that and the journey it takes to get to this point, anything is possible.

I see Mart vs Canadian in the semis on one side with a toss up of a game

I see the winner of Alto x Shelbyville playing the winner of Refugio x Shiner on the other side.

A historian you are not!! Creasy, most of us have been around here for a llllooooonnngg time and we know our school's history and we know much of the history about our neighboring schools. Your very poor attempt at belittling the other teams in this district is strewn with misinformation. I feel confident that you MUST have a source of information to substantiate your historical ramblings above, if so please provide the web address of that source so that they may be contacted to correct the misinformation. Because of the inaccuracy of your post above I will no longer be able to put any faith in your statistical, analytical, or historical posts.

Creasy, we all are just as proud of our schools and teams as you are of yours. We all know and understand that Shelbyville is very good this year, it's been a long time coming. I'm sure that the kids of SV have worked just as hard for years to get to this point, fortunatley for them they "MUST" just now have a leader that is capable of doing what those before him could not. From reading your post he must be to "PROGRAM" building what Pablo Picasso was/is to art.

BTW, when mentioning some of the schools above I think it would be correct to use the term or word "tradition" in the place of "Program", it would make more sense.

Here we go. Can't say anything without someone getting their panties in a wad. Never said a negative thing about any school above. As a matter of fact, I have included that SV is no better and historically speaking, worse than some in this district.

A historian you are not!! You are correct, I am not a historian, but am pretty nifty at using a tool like Google Creasy, most of us have been around here for a llllooooonnngg time and we know our school's history and we know much of the history about our neighboring schools. Your very poor attempt at belittling the other teams in this district is strewn with misinformation. First of all, I challenge you to prove where I have belittled anyone in my last several posts. Second, my information is substantiated by UIL records. Simply type in texashighschoolfootballhistory.com and it will show you everything I myself have found. While you may think you "remember" things a certain way, much like myself, it is always good to have documented facts provided by Texas HS Football and Track historian Joe Lee Smith. I think many here will find his website extremely entertaining. I feel confident that you MUST have a source of information to substantiate your historical ramblings above, if so please provide the web address of that source so that they may be contacted to correct the misinformation. Because of the inaccuracy of your post above I will no longer be able to put any faith in your statistical, analytical, or historical posts. I couldn't care less if you put any stock in anything I say any more than I would put stock in. What I typed above isn't flawless, but was as accurate as I could find on a site provided information from the UIL who is the historic documentation of not only the "program" you think you know so much about, but for ALL schools across the state.

Creasy, we all are just as proud of our schools and teams as you are of yours. We all know and understand that Shelbyville is very good this year, it's been a long time coming. I'm sure that the kids of SV have worked just as hard for years to get to this point, I doubt it or they probably would have won more by now. According to them, none of them have ever worked this hard before. I am a member of our men's group here in SV and we meet with this team every Tuesday night to discuss numerous things. One of the many things was what is different about now vs then. Overwhelmingly, to a man, they all listed the amount of work fortunatley for them they "MUST" just now have a leader that is capable of doing what those before him could not. From reading your post he must be to "PROGRAM" building what Pablo Picasso was/is to art. Coach has done a great job, but there's no PROGRAM in place. Had you paid attention more intently above you would understand a single season does not make a program at all, but merely, a good season. A season isn't a "Program"

BTW, when mentioning some of the schools above I think it would be correct to use the term or word "tradition" in the place of "Program", it would make more sense.

Only to the simple-minded. Someone with above average intellect would know right away, that EVERY SCHOOL has tradition. Like the schools in this district have a "tradition" of being competitive and having some good years, but never going on to Thankgiving day and beyond. That same person would know that the Tradition of the examples I used above is a tradition of being in the hunt for State Championships. Joaquin for example, had a tradition for losing until Gandy arrived. Those things are tradition. All schools have a "tradition". Not all schools have A PROGRAM!

Go ahead and ban me now b/c I disagree with and prove a moderator wrong.

Please though, before you do, I would love for you to show me what it was I typed above that was inaccurate. I have no problem admitting I'm wrong and if I was, it was an oversight, but please, since you know so much more - SHOW ME! Otherwise "the inaccuracy of your post above I will no longer be able to put any faith in your posts."

I would love for you to show me what it was I typed above that was inaccurate. I have no problem admitting I'm wrong and if I was, it was an oversight, but please, since you know so much more - SHOW ME! Otherwise "the inaccuracy of your post above I will no longer be able to put any faith in your posts."

West Sabine has been beyond the second round 3 times. Check out the Smoaky.com historical section, look at the 1973, 2001, and 2002 seasons for West Sabine. I hope after seeing that you can keep the faith in my posting ability!

Check your PM, Creasy.