Regular marijuana use muddles your brain more than you think: Study

Wild74

Tech Times ^ | 11 Nov 14 | Rhodi Lee

Posted on 11/11/2014 8:22:52 AM PST by elhombrelibre

Researchers from the Center for BrainHealth at The University of Texas at Dallas have found evidence that the effects of chronic marijuana use may depend on when a person started smoking pot and for how long.

For the study, which was published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences on Nov. 10, Francesca Filbey from the School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences at the University of Texas at Dallas, and colleagues involved 48 adult marijuana users who started to use weed when they were between 14 and 30 years old.

The participants smoked pot thrice a day on average; most admitted that they had been using weed for 10 years. Some participants reported they had been using marijuana for 30 years.

The researchers had the participants take an IQ test and undergo MRI scans. They then compared the results with those of 62 individuals who were nonusers and found that in cognitive tests, marijuana users had lower IQ compared with those who did not smoke pot.

(Excerpt) Read more at time.com ...

What if you have a low IQ already, does that count against you? ....:LOL:

You're dead wrong, WILD.

FROM 2008, the last data gathered:

In the last decade, over 10,000 miners have died of coal workers’ pneumoconiosis, or what is commonly called black lung disease.1 Black lung disease, which is caused by inhaling coal mine dust, results in scarring of the lungs and emphysema, shortness of breath, disability, and premature death. While the prevalence of black lung disease had decreased by about 90% from 1969 to 1995 following the enactment of the Coal Mine Health and Safety Act, the downward trend of this disease in coal miners has stopped. Since 1995, the prevalence of black lung cases has more than doubled. Many current underground miners (some as young as in their 30s) are developing severe and advanced cases. Identification of advanced cases among miners under age 50 is of particular concern, as they were exposed to coal-mine dust in the years after implementation of the disease prevention measures mandated by the 1969 federal legislation. An increased risk of pneumoconiosis has also been associated with work in certain mining jobs, in smaller mines, in several geographic areas, and among contract miners.2

http://blogs.cdc.gov/niosh-science-blog/2008/08/18/mining/

Doesn't bother me but the US is loaded with coal, Natural Gas is the way to go anyhow....:)

Tech Times ^ | 11 Nov 14 | Rhodi Lee

Posted on 11/11/2014 8:22:52 AM PST by elhombrelibre

Researchers from the Center for BrainHealth at The University of Texas at Dallas have found evidence that the effects of chronic marijuana use may depend on when a person started smoking pot and for how long.

For the study, which was published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences on Nov. 10, Francesca Filbey from the School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences at the University of Texas at Dallas, and colleagues involved 48 adult marijuana users who started to use weed when they were between 14 and 30 years old.

The participants smoked pot thrice a day on average; most admitted that they had been using weed for 10 years. Some participants reported they had been using marijuana for 30 years.

The researchers had the participants take an IQ test and undergo MRI scans. They then compared the results with those of 62 individuals who were nonusers and found that in cognitive tests, marijuana users had lower IQ compared with those who did not smoke pot.

(Excerpt) Read more at time.com ...

What if you have a low IQ already, does that count against you? .... :lol:

IQ tests have also been under great scrutiny just like standardized testing as well. All an IQ test is simply how fast and accurately can you process data given to you. The problem with IQ tests is that they don't take into account people with learning disabilities which use alternative methods to learning such as ADHD kids, dyslexia and etc which find that those types of people on average are more motivated and focused. The last group of millionaires under 40 all have some form of ADD/ADHD,dyslexia or other learning abilities.

Which brings to me more scrutiny since the biggest drugs addicts were so talented in kinselogical maneuvers like in playing music from John Coltraine, Miles Davis, Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles to comedians like Richard Pryor, Robin Williams, etc etc.

I gotta call bs on this experiment because of their methodology philosophy and personal bias.

See Nikola Tesla........

I saw a documentary on him he worked for Edison and then quite because Edison only wanted to use DC power verses his AC power. I will look him up and see what he has to do with Solar Power....I work with Solar Power every day on a small scale and know it is not very reliable unless you have tons of backup batteries to get you by when the sun is blocked for long periods of time.

I saw a documentary on him he worked for Edison and then quite because Edison only wanted to use DC power verses his AC power. I will look him up and see what he has to do with Solar Power....I work with Solar Power every day on a small scale and know it is not very reliable unless you have tons of backup batteries to get you by when the sun is blocked for long periods of time.

He was working on a way to transmit FREE energy like we do cell service now......then he mysteriously died.......and all his notes "vanished"..........look that up...... :)