Navasota vs El Campo

navasotatx

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking forward to the game Friday! Navasota will most definitely be the biggest challenge the Birds have faced this year. I haven't seen Navasota this year so really don't know what to expect as far as size and speed. From what I hear, the Rattlers offense is very efficient in the passing game and is hard to stop. EC has descent speed, but not great speed overall. Size wise, EC will be at a disadvantage I am sure as we typically are a little lighter up front than most teams historically. EC has three backs that can tote the ball. Dove is the marquee back that goes 6' 230# and runs a 4.6 40. He is a load to bring down and usually delivers the blows. Arm tackles will not bring him down. Harris is smaller and goes maybe 170# but has elite speed. He runs a 4.4 40 and will usually get about half the carries. The third back is Holloway. Holloway is a sophomore that was brought up mid-season from JV due to an injury Harris suffered. Holloway looked very impressive in Harris's absence. Dove usually only gets about 15 carries per game as he plays DT as well. I believe in the loss to Wharton Dove had his regular season high in carries at 19. Dove was injured and did not play most of the fourth quarter in that game (He did come back in on the last drive but unfortunately fumbled leading to Wharton's go-a-head score with around a minute left in the game). In the Carthage game Dove was leaned on more than he has been all season getting about 25 carries if my memory serves me right. Dove was actually contained by Carthage as well as I have seen anyone contain him this year. He was never able to get into the open and show his breakaway speed. EC plays an old school smash mouth run it straight at you offense. I would love to see them pass more personally but what they have done on the ground has worked for them under EC coach Gillis. EC will probably only pass on third down and long with an occasional early down pass (Very occasional). EC however can pass, they just choose not to. QB DJ Washington is actually pretty accurate and has good arm. Defensively, the birds are not really big up front at all but move to the ball well. Coverage wise I think EC is pretty good but does occasionally give up the long ball. EC gave up a 93 yard pass play against Wharton that led to Wharton's come from behind victory. Overall, I would say that the Birds defense is above average but definitely not an elite defense. EC has been plagued by unforced errors at times this year. Against Wharton, EC had around 8 false start penalties. Against Carthage EC had at least 5 in the first half. For EC to win this one I think the defense is going to have to rise up and have a great game and get off the field on third downs. If EC doesn't get pressure on the Rattlers QB, it could be a long night for the birds. EC will need to cover better on special teams than it did against Carthage as that was the worst part of EC's game last Friday night. Offensively, the birds will need to have their running game clicking on all cylinders and play keep away from Navasota. If EC can run up the middle consistantly it will bode well for Birds and may be the deciding factor in the game.

Looks like the weather is going to b 180 degrees from last weeks rainy weather. Game time should be really nice with temperatures in the low 60's. EC will travel and will probably have somewhere between 4 and 5 thousand fans at the game. Go Birds! and good luck Rattlers. Everyone have a safe trip to and from the game.

And by the way, I would love to here what I should expect to see from the Rattlers Friday night.

The rattlers will play navasota rattler football. Read up on them their offense is pretty much balance. You load the box over the top they go Eppler will pick you apart very calm in the pocket pressure doesn't worry him . You play coverage jefferson is a bruising back runs like demarco Murray excellent speed and power combo. D. Randle should be back this game if so he's the leader in the back field great speed and vision.

Texas drive stadium holds nearly 4,500 each side. EC's side was over half full. I would say EC had realistically 2000-2500 in attendance. Carthage probably around 1000. I am sure the weather hurt the attendance for both sides. I personally know of quite a few that did not want to sit in the rain (including my wife, lol). 4 to 5k might be I little high but don't be surprised to see 3k to 4k make the trip. With the nice weather forecasted the only thing that might hurt the numbers traveling would be the Holliday weekend. Also, The Louise Hornets have also made it to the 3rd round in class 2A for the fist time in who knows how long and the EC and Louise communities are closely intwined. Louise plays Bremond Friday as well in Bastrop.

Also el campo had 236 yds in the game of which dove had 170 on 30 carries.

I am surprised he had 170. I was thinking more like 140. The Dawgs did a good job early but I felt as though he started wearing on them as the game went on. The Birds definitely leaned on him more than they would liked as they had a hard time getting the edge with Harris do to the Dawgs speed on the corners.

Easy win in my book. Defense is like a disturbed nest of killer bees. Where ever the ball goes most of the time their is 10 or 11 players punching you in the mouth. It's hunting season this post season for the rattlers. Birds that is. Blue jays, Rice Birds and a dove

then either a kitty kat, or a puppy dog! Snakes roll.

I have a hunch this one will be much more competitve than some believe.

It will be close if El Campo can cover our passing attack. That won't be easy. I do see Navasota being able to slow down their rushing attack.

I'm still going with the Rattlers by 21+. If I'm wrong, so be it. I like our chances of slowing down the Ricebirds better than the Ricebirds slowing down our offense.

Well what happened to the big bad dove when they lost to wharton? Feed the big man the rock but even he was tired from them leaning on him the first 3 quarters. What happened they lost.

I suspect Dove is much stronger in the 4th quarter now than he was two months ago. Not only is he in better shape with the 2 additional months of conditioning under his belt, but the cooler temperatures help two-way players immensely.

It will be close if El Campo can cover our passing attack. That won't be easy. I do see Navasota being able to slow down their rushing attack.

I'm still going with the Rattlers by 21+. If I'm wrong, so be it. I like our chances of slowing down the Ricebirds better than the Ricebirds slowing down our offense.

+1

I suspect Dove is much stronger in the 4th quarter now than he was two months ago. Not only is he in better shape with the 2 additional months of conditioning under his belt, but the cooler temperatures help two-way players immensely.

Dove was injured and did not play much of the fourth quarter against Wharton. He did however come in for the Birds last drive and in hindsight he probably should not have come back in. He was very gimpy and fumbled the ball deep in Bird territory leading to Wharton's go ahead score.

Dove was injured and did not play much of the fourth quarter against Wharton. He did however come in for the Birds last drive and in hindsight he probably should not have come back in. He was very gimpy and fumbled the ball deep in Bird territory leading to Wharton's go ahead score.

How did Chapel Hill score 4 TDs on them? Chapel Hill only scored 3 against Carthage, which was 1 less than El Campo did.

They caught us sleeping in the 1st half....but if you didn't know, that was quickly shut down in the 2nd half. And plus Chapel Hill had the speed to match with Navasota. The boys will be more prepared for whatever the birds have. They finally got battle tested last week....so trust me, they will be ready.

Wasn't Chapel Hill without their starting QB (Hitchcock) during the Carthage game?

I'm sure with him out had something to do with that, don't you agree?

Good point; I can't disagree.

They caught us sleeping in the 1st half....

They better not be sleeping this week.