PLAYOFFS! Dallas @ Green Bay

yes and that has never even been mentioned. i think the officials were more caught up in the ball popping loose than looking at what happened before then

You're right that this was never talked about on the broadcast, but that doesn't mean it is not correct. Clearly he caught that damn ball. Had he not been tripped or tangled up with the db, he probably goes into the endzone on his feet. As it was contact was made and therefore as soon as his knee or in this case his elbow touches the ground, he should've been ruled down.

This is no new rule application. It has always been this way.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, that ruling only applies to a runner ... it doesn't yet apply to a receiver who hasn't completed the reception ... all the way through hitting the ground. Down by contact only applies after competing a reception which he hadn't yet at that point ... ya follow?

Ok then. I see what you're doing since you're a bitter Texans fan, but I'll briefly play along.

How many steps must a receiver take before he is considered a runner? Please cite your source.

Ok then. I see what you're doing since you're a bitter Texans fan, but I'll briefly play along.

How many steps must a receiver take before he is considered a runner? Please cite your source.

It's not a matter of how many steps ... he was falling down as a result of going up for the ball ... doesn't matter if he took one step or five in the process of going to the ground ....

He reached back and caught the ball with TWO hands, turned back up field while taking steps and TRANSFERRED the ball to a single hand. You cannot transfer a ball between hands unless you have caught said ball.

Try transferring a ball to one hand without first having made the catch at home, Kirt. Please post youtube video.

He reached back and caught the ball with TWO hands, turned back up field while taking steps and TRANSFERRED the ball to a single hand. You cannot transfer a ball between hands unless you have caught said ball.

Try transferring a ball to one hand without first having made the catch at home, Kirt. Please post youtube video.

is Kirt saying it doesn't matter how many steps you take? so he could have made the catch ran 20 yds after stumbling then fell to the ground and the ball pops loose and it's an incompletion

Anyone with eyes could see that ball was caught and multiple football moves had been made. If Dez had not been so close to the goal line, he would not have transferred the ball and tried to one hand it across the goal line. Otherwise, he would've simply held it in the position he had it in the picture. Ridiculous interpretation of an overly complicated rule. Bottom line is the ball was caught, two steps made, and it was controlled TO the ground. The ground caused the ball to become unsecured.

edit: three steps were made

You guys are fighting a losing battle , kirt doesn't like cowboys and even more-so Romo even though he was as good as any QB this year. Just like last week when he didn't think the Detroit receiver committed any infraction.

He needs just stick to what he does best and that's straitening out that silly LarryDavid in the political forum

He went up to make the catch and took steps while falling down .. it's not like he was running with the ball after making a catch ... he was falling down while in the process of going up to make the catch .... and the impact with the ground made the ball pop out.

He went up to make the catch and took steps while falling down .. it's not like he was running with the ball after making a catch ... he was falling down while in the process of going up to make the catch .... and the impact with the ground made the ball pop out.

He was running and got tripped up by the db. The logic you are trying to apply is for a player who makes a diving catch. Dez had already locked that ball down with both hands and had turned up field with it.

He was running and got tripped up by the db. The logic you are trying to apply is for a player who makes a diving catch. Dez had already locked that ball down with both hands and had turned up field with it.

He was in the process of catching it while going to the ground, the catch wasn't completed until the impact with the ground ...

He was in the process of catching it while going to the ground, the catch wasn't completed until the impact with the ground ...

Do you even understand about transferring the ball? It cannot be done without having control of the ball. It is simply impossible. But please prove me wrong. I'm sure you can demonstrate it for us.

In my opinion.. for the last several years have tweaked their product so much that to a true football fan it pure MADNESS. The players are not to blame for they work and play to best of their abilities. But Way to often I've seen teams that have everything going correctly for them in the first half (offense, defense, and special teams) all of the sudden not have anything.... ANYTHING in the second half! Kansas City destroyed New England this year then came up upon a winless Oakland team on a Thursday nationally televised game and get trounced (which is good for ratings don't you see) just one example but I can go back further having watched teams lay down and/or referees change an outcome and that's sad for the players DO NOT deserve that.

The NFL is putting out a BAD product! It happens to Every team at some point. It's big money.

Do you even understand about transferring the ball? It cannot be done without having control of the ball. It is simply impossible. But please prove me wrong. I'm sure you can demonstrate it for us.

That was all part of trying to control the ball .. the receiver didn't complete the catch by controlling it through impact with the ground. It doesn't matter if he was spinning it on his finger like Curly Neal ... he lost it momentarily when impacting the ground ...

That was all part of trying to control the ball .. the receiver didn't complete the catch by controlling it through impact with the ground. It doesn't matter if he was spinning it on his finger like Curly Neal ... he lost it momentarily when impacting the ground ...

What you're saying makes no sense. In trying to "control" the ball he decided to release his two-handed grip on it and use one hand instead. Yeah ok

What you're saying makes no sense. In trying to "control" the ball he decided to release his two-handed grip on it and use one hand instead. Yeah ok

Well then he forfeited the catch by trying to get fancy ... what can I say ..... he lost it when he hit the ground ...

Well then he forfeited the catch by trying to get fancy ... what can I say ..... he lost it when he hit the ground ...

He was trying to score. I know, I know you Texans fans aren't used to seeing a wide receiver actually score a touchdown, but trust me it happens.

Again, it cannot be refuted that to transfer a ball from two hands to just one and then reach out with it, the ball has to be in CONTROL. It's science man!

He was trying to score. I know, I know you Texans fans aren't used to seeing a wide receiver actually score a touchdown, but trust me it happens.

Again, it cannot be refuted that to transfer a ball from two hands to just one and then reach out with it, the ball has to be in CONTROL. It's science man!

Floggin' a Dead horse, Immortal... Kirt Thrives on arguing!....