Former Players -- When did you realize you wouldn't play at "the next level"?

Monte1076

Regardless of what "the next level" is (College or Pro).

I think I realized it at two positions my sophomore year of high school. I played fullback in a Wing-T system, and Strong Safety. I just didn't quite develop the speed or strength to get to "the next level". Though I hoped I would have had an outside chance of "walking on" as a kicker possibly at a Junior College.

I wasn't big enough, strong enough, or fast enough to really play anywhere.

So, what about you?

My Junior year in high school. I've been 6' since my freshman year in high school, and when I didn't have another growth spurt I knew I was done for basketball and football. I also couldn't get my forty speed below 5.0. One of my best friends had all the physical talent to play at the next level as a cornerback or receiver, because he could bench 400 and run a 4.36 40 (best I remember), but didn't have football sense. He was great on the track team, though.

Knew I would never make it to the next level in football because I was just under 6' and about 165 and played tight end and I ran well and had good hands. That was 31 years ago. We passed a lot and I had a lot of receptions so it was fun while it lasted.

My sport was baseball. I had offers from some smaller schools and some JUCOS but turned them down because they did not offer the field of study in which I was interested in. Went to UT and tried to play a little fall ball as a walk on but gave it up after about a month because of studies. I knew I wasn't MLB material so I moved on. Didn't watch or talk baseball for the next year.

On the other end of the question I was wondering when a coach realizes he doesn't have any one that will play at the next level?

just the old has been coaches with a bur in their craws.

Was it when they were determined to drive to the basket?

Was it when you you found out they couldn't jump or rebound

so you told then to work the ball around & in then take that sure shot?

Or was it when they missed that sure shot?

Or when teams were running up the score?

In my mind I was an still am a beast. I still cling on to false hope that they will call my name on draft day or Coach Sumlin will bring the swag copter to my house and tell me to sign the dotted line for The Texas A&M Aggies. The things you can tell yourself .

Obsession noted.

Coach Berry comes to me after my first varsity tennis match and says: " Doomy you looked good out there but Nathan will be back Monday. Doctors said he has been OK'd to play. Report back to the B-team they are holding your spot for you."

Jr year heading into senior year. Never got above 5'8 185. Good size for an RB until you throw in the 4.7 speed and the fact that I was mostly a fullback. Got some "offers" (more a less come play here and we will buy you books) from JUCOs. By the end of my senior year I just didnt want to play anymore if it wasnt going anywhere. Kind of glad that I decided to give up on it, my neck is pretty muffed up from hitting with my head for all of those years and who knows how far it would be deteriorated at this point if I had played another 2 or so years.

The 1st time was When I sent a recruiting tape to R.C. Slocum and it was marked "return to sender" LOL - Then went on to play @ Texas A&M-Commerce 1 year. I New it was over pretty much from my first "visit" when the smallest Lineman's Bicep was bigger than my head. And that was at DII

When the Strength & Conditioning coach asked me to get on roids to fix my fractured back. Told me I would be red shirted. I called my Dad and told him I didn't want to be a 350lb freak. Walked into my position coaches office and started to tell him I wasn't going to do it. He stopped me and said he didn't want to know anything about that. Told me to see the Head Coach. I walked up to the Head coach and he just said he understood. I was immediately treated like I had cancer from the school. I always wondered what would have happened. I was 6'6 296lb at that time. I still ended up at 350+ lol. That was my freshman year at college.