Powerlifting

EYEAMCYCLOPS

Strength coaches are fickle people. A few years back it was all the rage to only train explosive lifts. Snatch, PC, Push Press .. etc, what they found was while the were building more explosive athletes they suffered strength loss. Squat and Deadlift came back into perspective combined with the explosive lifts. You can't do just strength and power or just Explosive lifts.... must have a combination of both.

Yep. I think if you only could choose one lift to build strength and power it would be the deadlift.

Amen to that....sent my son NORTH to college...was a 605 deadlifter.365 bench 630 squat...THEY told him he was "weak" and needed to do THEIR routine.....which was 135 on the bar and doing power clean...bench...and snatch for FORM...NOTHING ELSE.....went on his own into the "Wellness Center" and did his old High School "power lifting" workouts....was told to NEVER do THAT routine again or there would be "repercussions"....they went 2-9...and the two teams that they beat were WEAK SISTERS....needless to say he is now down SOUTH going to school.....He had to really work HARD during Christmas break to get most of his strength back that he lost doing FORM lifting for 3 1/2 months...I know I sound like a disgruntled parent...BUT I understand that "Olympic" lifting is a full body flexibility thing....They say that Power Lifting gets you muscle bound.....BUT I also know that WITH Power Lifting you also do a Flexibility routine to keep you from getting muscle bound.....Nebraska...Iowa...Ohio State...Penn State...AND OTHERS ALL do power type lifting along with flexibility.....there MUST be a "happy medium".....just my look on this....

Amen to that....sent my son NORTH to college...was a 605 deadlifter.365 bench 630 squat...THEY told him he was "weak" and needed to do THEIR routine.....which was 135 on the bar and doing power clean...bench...and snatch for FORM...NOTHING ELSE.....went on his own into the "Wellness Center" and did his old High School "power lifting" workouts....was told to NEVER do THAT routine again or there would be "repercussions"....they went 2-9...and the two teams that they beat were WEAK SISTERS....needless to say he is now down SOUTH going to school.....He had to really work HARD during Christmas break to get most of his strength back that he lost doing FORM lifting for 3 1/2 months...I know I sound like a disgruntled parent...BUT I understand that "Olympic" lifting is a full body flexibility thing....They say that Power Lifting gets you muscle bound.....BUT I also know that WITH Power Lifting you also do a Flexibility routine to keep you from getting muscle bound.....Nebraska...Iowa...Ohio State...Penn State...AND OTHERS ALL do power type lifting along with flexibility.....there MUST be a "happy medium".....just my look on this....

Those people make me sick.....If you cant do a comprehensive power and explosion workout at the high school and college level then you need to find somewhere else to go.

Obviously to maximize potential and produce the best athlete with the given talent you must combine power and explosiveness just as you do speed and agility. The fastest guys in the world are typically terrible football and basketball players because they lack fine motor skills. Just as the strongest men in the world are typically not very good team sport athletes. Theres a healthy balance and that's where the discussion begins because each athletes is different and their recipe for maxing potential results is different based on skill set and ability.

Those people make me sick.....If you cant do a comprehensive power and explosion workout at the high school and college level then you need to find somewhere else to go.

REASON WHY HE IS NOT IN CHICAGO ANYMORE!!...Sad thing was the OLINE/strengh and condition coach has coached in TEXAS and has seen what the combination of power lifting and explosion lifting can do!!!!........BACK TO POWERLIFTING....GREAT SPORT IF DONE RIGHT!!!