Is THE Jeff Traylor the best football coach in East Texas history?

Eagleborn

http://etsn.fm/is-jeff-traylor-the-best-east-texas-high-school-football-coach-ever/

Dennis Alexander. Jim Norman. Scott Surratt. Jeff Traylor.

If you were to put together a Mount Rushmore of East Texas high school football coaches, you’d have your four right there. And Traylor might be the first one sculpted.

With the news surfacing that Gilmer coach Jeff Traylor will become the new special teams and tight ends coach at The University of Texas, you can’t help but look back at his 15-year tenure with the Buckeyes and shake your head in amazement.

And then you have to ask, “Is Jeff Traylor the best high school football coach in East Texas history?”

Here are some numbers to take into account:

• Of the 201 games Traylor coached at Gilmer, he won 175 of them. That’s winning 87 percent of your games. That’s a better percentage than Alexander,
  • Norman and Surratt in their tenures at Dangerfield, Big Sandy and Carthage, respectively.
  • Taylor coached in five state championships, winning three (2004, 2009 and 2014). All three times Traylor’s Buckeyes won state, they didn’t lose a game all season.
  • 33 school records have been broken under Traylor’s helm.
  • Taylor went 6-4 in his first year at Gilmer, and never won fewer than eight games after that. He won at least 10 games every year after 2003 except one (9-4 in 2010).
  • Gilmer reached the postseason 14 straight years under Traylor’s watch — every season but his first.
  • The only East Texas coach to win more than three state championships is Carthage’s Surratt, who has a career winning percentage of .817 to Traylor’s .871. Traylor, Norman and Daingerfield’s Barry Bowman are the other East Texas coaches with three state titles.
  • Traylor has coached multiple Buckeyes who went on to have some sort of role in the NFL, including GJ Kinne, David Snow, Curtis Brown and Manuel Johnson.
  • In 2014, Traylor’s Buckeyes scored 950 points on their way to the Class 4A Division II state championship. The only team to score more points in a season was Aledo in 2013. The Buckeyes offense averaged more than 534 yards per game in 2014.

So, you have to at least ask the question: Is Traylor the best football coach in East Texas history?

So.... I'm gonna say no..

That honor belongs to Dennis Alexander.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knowing all 4 of the guys that are mentioned......Alexander and Norman are in the CLASS by themselves......BUT Bowman and Traylor are Right outside the door!!!! it's "kinda like" OLD $$$$ and NEW $$$$.....Dennis and Jim are ONE of A KIND......We use to say that These guys were better than GA Moore and Jimmy Keeling and Gordon Wood.....about every 20 years we go thru this......

Lots of ways to argue who is the best of all time. Different eras makes it difficult to determine who is the best all time. But the last 10 years or so I would say he has a a track record that puts him at the top in this era. Also to compliment is a great coaching staff, School and community backing greatly added to this astounding achievement at Gilmer.

How many times has Gilmer not been the district champion in Traylors tenure? Just wondering.

2010...lost to Carthage...lost to Argyle in the 3rd Round ...Carthage won state

2013...lost to Kilgore...lost to Argyle in the 3rd Round...Kilgore lost to Carthage in SC Game

68-2 In District Play

Lots of ways to argue who is the best of all time. Different eras makes it difficult to determine who is the best all time. But the last 10 years or so I would say he has a a track record that puts him at the top in this era. Also to compliment is a great coaching staff, School and community backing greatly added to this astounding achievement at Gilmer.

In the last 10 years I would go with Surratt in east texas. His numbers prove it in SC's!

I guess back in the day DA because of all the talent he had to coach.

Traylor coached teams have won district 12 out of the 15 years he's been at Gilmer. The years of no district championship were 2000 (his first year). 2010, and 2013.

So in 15 years, he's been a district champion 13 times....I'd say the argument regarding "Era of 3/4 teams making it to playoffs vs. Era of only the district champion" should be voided.

Traylor has the records and the championships. He should be in the argument. Period.

Alexander is a legend. Traylor is one as well.

Hate that for Coach Norman.....I played against THAT 75 Big Sandy team.....I was the Center for the Team that lost 28-2 to them in the State Finals.....in 2007 I had the opportunity to listen to Lovie Smith speak at a coaching clinic......afterwards I went up and shook his hand....told him that I was "assigned" to block him in THAT GAME and wanted to atleast say that I TOUCHED HIM ONE TIME....because I NEVER did in that State Game....he laughed.....BUT about Coach Norman...saw him in 1998 when he was the DC for Wills Point and we were playing them...found out that he had been in Louisiana and had gone to CULINARY SCHOOL to become a "Cajun Chef".....He cooked a "HUM DINGER" of a meal for our school Christmas Party!!!!!!