Jefferson ISD has informed AD/FB Coach Derek Simmons he will be reassigned, 2-years, 10-11, playoff team in 2014.

Smoaky

Jefferson ISD has informed AD/FB Coach Derek Simmons he will be reassigned, 2-years, 10-11, playoff team in 2014. Coach Simmons was also the offensive coordinator at Jefferson under Jerry Bennett in 2012-2013.

David Smoak

I am assuming it was the record but there is no telling. Yeah it's a revolving door. Jefferson needs community support and also needs to weed out some of the bad apples. There are good athletes and kids in Jefferson. The problem is a lot of them don't have the support or motivation at home.

Another problem is the parents who are too involved with the inner circles. This was a problem when I attended school in Jefferson, and still is today. Little Johnny is not getting playing time so I am going to make the coaches life miserable.

So my suggestion to the fine folks in Jefferson is hire an outsider who has no relationship with Jefferson. Let him get the community involved again and establish discipline in the program. Once this occurs, everything should work out.

I am assuming it was the record but there is no telling. Yeah it's a revolving door. Jefferson needs community support and also needs to weed out some of the bad apples. There are good athletes and kids in Jefferson. The problem is a lot of them don't have the support or motivation at home.

Another problem is the parents who are too involved with the inner circles. This was a problem when I attended school in Jefferson, and still is today. Little Johnny is not getting playing time so I am going to make the coaches life miserable.

So my suggestion to the fine folks in Jefferson is hire an outsider who has no relationship with Jefferson. Let him get the community involved again and establish discipline in the program. Once this occurs, everything should work out.

I agree with you to a certain extent. I've done a little research and from what I've been told is that they have hired from the outside over the past few years. I think an AD from the Corpus area, a Tatum AD and now the previous, although I'm not sure where he is from. It seems to me that there has been a clash of personalities between the players and the coaches, a disconnect sort of. I think it's to a persons benefit if he/she understands the disadvantages and circumstances that a lot of kids face in Jefferson. Just because you are successful at a school where socioeconomics aren't an issue, where neighborhood crime isn't an issue, and where family stability isn't an issue, doesn't mean you'll have the same results with possibly twice as much talent as the school you just left. They have to have an understanding and the willingness to try and bridge that gap. You can't have an AD to only coach to the kids that he/she can relate to and think that the rest will just fall into place. Just my 2 cents...I just had another nephew to transfer to Jefferson from D'field so I'm gonna continue to support them regardless.

On another note, maybe this will be good for both parties. AD seems like a really good guy and should find another job pretty quickly...Jefferson has tremendous talent and great kids, and if the right coach, could make a lot of noise over the next few years.

I agree with you to a certain extent. I've done a little research and from what I've been told is that they have hired from the outside over the past few years. I think an AD from the Corpus area, a Tatum AD and now the previous, although I'm not sure where he is from. It seems to me that there has been a clash of personalities between the players and the coaches, a disconnect sort of. I think it's to a persons benefit if he/she understands the disadvantages and circumstances that a lot of kids face in Jefferson. Just because you are successful at a school where socioeconomics aren't an issue, where neighborhood crime isn't an issue, and where family stability isn't an issue, doesn't mean you'll have the same results with possibly twice as much talent as the school you just left. They have to have an understanding and the willingness to try and bridge that gap. You can't have an AD to only coach to the kids that he/she can relate to and think that the rest will just fall into place. Just my 2 cents...I just had another nephew to transfer to Jefferson from D'field so I'm gonna continue to support them regardless.

A Tatum AD?????? or nah?

If Mr. Jefferson ( Jerry Bennett) couldn't change the culture on his time as HC/AD, and Bennett has the say so in who gets the job, then how can Jefferson ISD, athletics be successful. Willie Hargett ( child please). I could be mistaken but check and find out. Jefferson doesn't have 10 coaches, coaches drive the bus for free. Jefferson will have 40 plus kids on the JV football team and no Freshman team. In order to win, you must want to win and it starts at home, church, community and the ISD.

+1. Until these kids get support at home, both academically & athletically, you can expect a .500 team year in and year out. No coach can lead and win without it.