Who will be the next AD/HC at Jacksonville?

FlamingJ

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the past, this job has waffled back and forth from being one of the "plum" jobs of East Texas to one of the "non-plum" jobs (trying to stay politically correct here) ... with a new sup coming in from the south it will be interesting to see if he has anybody he would like to trust with the job ... having coached in both South Texas and East Texas, I can say that it should be noted that there are some differences ... and while it may not be the cat's meow job it once was, the one thing I always noticed about coaches is that when you're on your way out of town as a head coach, there is always at least one other head coach who thinks he can do a better job than you did ... I just hope the powers to be make a good choice ... in my humble opinion, I happen to think that Coach H WAS a good choice ... but I can't say that about several who have swaggeredly wandered in over the past several years ... many years ago, about the time I started coaching, the feeling was that this was a coaches' graveyard and people came here to retire or get out and go into private business ... I just hope it never gets to that perceptive point again... the community, and most of all the kids, deserve better.

Who is going to lead the tribe?

Chris Dolan all the way!

The program has not been same since Coach Long left town. While he was there , the Tribe always seemed to have 2 or 3 D 1 players each year. Is the talent just not there any more?

Jacksonvilla vatos!

The program has not been same since Coach Long left town. While he was there , the Tribe always seemed to have 2 or 3 D 1 players each year. Is the talent just not there any more?

The city started getting its drinking water from Mud Creek instead of the Neches River ... like Gus said, "“Uva uvam vivendo varia fit”

As an outsider looking in..... and as a fan of a program that has a recent history Vs. Jacksonville......

The biggest problem J-ville faces, has nothing to do with who coaches them. It's geography. The fact that Jacksonville is in a district with John Tyler and Lufkin puts you at a major disadvantage. Look at the enrollment disparities!

Throw in the fact that Ennis has been tossed into the East Texas area.... and all of a sudden you're behind the 8 ball just to make the playoffs.

JT, Lufkin, and Ennis will be annual favorites to make the playoffs.

That leaves one spot for a football rich program like Corsicana, up and coming programs like Nac and Whitehouse, and an inconsistent program like Jacksonville to battle it out.

That's tough.

I think it's similar to the problems MP and PT face in 15-5A with Longview, Texas High, SS, and appears to be Marshall.

Low enrollment, stiff competition, and no recent winning history makes it a tough job.

I wish the Indians the best. I loved playing them back in the old 14-4A when Marshall, Kilgore, and Jax ruled the land. Always fun times with those 3.

As an outsider looking in..... and as a fan of a program that has a recent history Vs. Jacksonville......

The biggest problem J-ville faces, has nothing to do with who coaches them. It's geography. The fact that Jacksonville is in a district with John Tyler and Lufkin puts you at a major disadvantage. Look at the enrollment disparities!

Throw in the fact that Ennis has been tossed into the East Texas area.... and all of a sudden you're behind the 8 ball just to make the playoffs.

That leaves one spot for a football rich program like Corsicana, up and coming programs like Nac and Whitehouse, and an inconsistent program like Jacksonville to battle it out.

That's tough.

I think it's similar to the problems MP and PT face in 15-5A with Longview, Texas High, SS, and appears to be Marshall.

Low enrollment, stiff competition, and no recent winning history makes it a tough job.

I wish the Indians the best. I loved playing them back in the old 14-4A when Marshall, Kilgore, and Jax ruled the land. Always fun times with those 3.

indians will have to overcome lack of talent with either extremely high tempo or tough running style. need to find a coach with experience in either area.

That's tough.

As usual, Mavchamp, you are wise in your assessment. Before 2004 when Marshall came down to 4A (now 5A) Jax was the big dog in the district. In 11 years, the tables have completely turned. You are EXACTLY right about geography, UIL cutoffs, growth in other geographic areas, etc... the Superintendents blew it when they didn't cut up 6A and 5A districts like they did in 4A, 3A, 2A, and 1A.

Look, Jacksonville still has talent here. I get tired of hearing people say that. I've been here going on 40 years . . . there are still some great players here. 10 years ago, Jax could get by with 12 really good players out of 40-50 on the roster . . . and "cover up" the rest. In the current district, you have to have 20-25 really good players to play with Lufkin (2,200), JT (2,000), Nac (1,800), and Ennis (1,550?) . . . compared to Jax at 1120.

But I would put Jax's first 10 players against anyone. After that, especially teams with 50-60 players, it gets tougher. Jacksonville will still compete. Our kids play hard.

I know this sounds like excuses . . . but it's reality. Somebody has to be the small school and it's Jax's turn (and Lindales's) for now.

Yeah, that 2004 year was amazing in the old district 16AAAA.

Im thinkin it was 17-4a because we went region 3 in playoffs. Made things a tad easier. Region 2 feels like dead man walking when playoffs start. Would be nice if 5a East Texas could become a force like 3a 4a is, but we cant out athlete the bigger schools around the state. Think 2004 was the last year that east texas dominated in the upper levels. Kilgore Marshall went to state and jax and hallsville were one score away from being just as good.

2009 was a strong year for East Texas 4A too.

Longview made it to state.

Marshall made it to the region semifinals

SS made it to the quarterfinals

Marshall and SS both lost to Denison

2009 was a strong year for East Texas 4A too.

Longview made it to state.

Marshall made it to the region semifinals

SS made it to the quarterfinals

Marshall and SS both lost to Denison

teams like jax, pine tree, mp are in a tough spot.

As usual, Mavchamp, you are wise in your assessment. Before 2004 when Marshall came down to 4A (now 5A) Jax was the big dog in the district. In 11 years, the tables have completely turned. You are EXACTLY right about geography, UIL cutoffs, growth in other geographic areas, etc... the Superintendents blew it when they didn't cut up 6A and 5A districts like they did in 4A, 3A, 2A, and 1A.

Look, Jacksonville still has talent here. I get tired of hearing people say that. I've been here going on 40 years . . . there are still some great players here. 10 years ago, Jax could get by with 12 really good players out of 40-50 on the roster . . . and "cover up" the rest. In the current district, you have to have 20-25 really good players to play with Lufkin (2,200), JT (2,000), Nac (1,800), and Ennis (1,550?) . . . compared to Jax at 1120.

But I would put Jax's first 10 players against anyone. After that, especially teams with 50-60 players, it gets tougher. Jacksonville will still compete. Our kids play hard.

I know this sounds like excuses . . . but it's reality. Somebody has to be the small school and it's Jax's turn (and Lindales's) for now.

Yeah, that 2004 year was amazing in the old district 16AAAA.

You are right on the money there. Henderson went through it too. Unless Jacksonville has a special group it will be the same. Not enough depth to play the big boys year in and year out.

I heard a very interesting name yesterday. Guy has two rings and some good experience! Still not sure if Nick Saban could even get the Indians going again, but this guy would be good! Has won as a head coach at two other places. Stay tuned!

will be interesting.....

who can jax beat next year football wise?

pine tree, palestine, mt. pleasant? any of these?

I heard a very interesting name yesterday. Guy has two rings and some good experience! Still not sure if Nick Saban could even get the Indians going again, but this guy would be good! Has won as a head coach at two other places. Stay tuned!

Has this interesting name worked at JVille in the past? If so, look for the Tribe to improve considerably.

Names of front runners I have been told are

Sam Brandt (Killeen Ellison)

Brandon Green (Linden Kildare)

Jerry Brakel (Burleson Centennial)

Aaron Emiabyi (Ferris)

Gary Autry (Hardin Simmons University)

None of the above if a certain guy wants it. I'm pretty sure the Injune faithful will hire him without hesitation. My understanding is that $$$ and control over entire athletic structure may be the only obstacle. This may actually happen? If so the Injunes will be better........playoffs may be a stretch for a year or two. This could be like the quick Marshall improvements though like Harper brought. Whole different attitude from top to bottom. The right coaches with the right admin can work miracles sometimes.