Bridgeport Bulls Basketball

BuckNut

I read an article in the Dallas paper that four of bridge ports players were former homeschoolers who are living together there in Bridgeport. These four players I believe the article said accounted for all their points. My question is did all of these boys parents move to Bridgeport? If so good, if not this sounds fishy.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They all moved in together into Mark Cuban's sister in laws house as Foster Kids. Got it straight from the mouth of a Teacher at Bridgeport HS. They think it's kind of a strange copincidence too.

The coming rage, taking Foster Kids who just happen to be excellent athletes into your home. The fact that they can start for the local HS right away and be big time contributers is just a coincidence I am sure.

Up 30pts and those kids get to play for the last minute of the game.What a joke... I'm sure most of those kids have lived in that town their entire lives unlike the others. The Patterson kid is said to be the son of ex Dallas Maverick Michael Finley. Word is he also got into some type of trouble at school and got sent to alternative school but conveniently got released the day before their warm-up game, just in time for the playoffs.

It's just as crooked as DISD and a shame that the UIL let's it go on.

A lot of excellent and very viable comments and concerns here. In their defense, a Bridgeport poster on another thread posted pretty straight forward regarding this and stated that the town is torn about it. Evidently they told the UIL everything up front or that seems to be the case. I remain happy for the kids and happy for the community as well, as I have known a lot of good folks from that area, but the points about those who were passed over are valid and will remain so as the move ins are all juniors. Certainly worth some discussion among reasonable adults and those who make the rules.

What about the Brudgeport seniors that have worked hard to have a good senior year and then a new team moves in. Worth a trade off for a state championship which you didn't get to play?

+1

They all moved in together into Mark Cuban's sister in laws house as Foster Kids. Got it straight from the mouth of a Teacher at Bridgeport HS. They think it's kind of a strange copincidence too.

The coming rage, taking Foster Kids who just happen to be excellent athletes into your home. The fact that they can start for the local HS right away and be big time contributers is just a coincidence I am sure.

+1

We live in Bridgeport, have a son on the basketball team as a matter of fact. I think a lot of the different point are becoming mixed in - some relevant, some not so much.

Mark Cuban relative - true, but not relevant. I actually think the Hawks would be offended if they knew this was being said lol. The Hawks family owns a large energy company and are very wealthy in their own right (I believe between father and son they are the biggest contributor in University of Nebraska basketball history).

Taking the kids in just for basketball - maybe? I think it's more complicated than that. One of the boys moved in with the Hawks very young - 7ish. Two others have been with him since 12 or 13 and the last has been with them for almost 3 years. I do completely think it's a very odd situation, but i don't think it's as simple as they wanted to build a basketball dynasty so they "bought" these kids.

UIL eligibility - They have legal custody, they live in a house in our district, they have followed all eligibility rules. I've heard a couple of different stories about why Bridgeport. The one that seems the most fitting is that the boys (who were homeschooled) really, really wanted to graduate from public school and the Hawks wanted to give them that opportunity. They had connections with some families here through AAU ball. Originally they were looking at moving to Decatur but they weren't happy with the people they met, etc and really liked Bridgeport.

Devonte - He's not Finlay's son. Or at least everyone vehemently denies it.

The seniors - they would absolutely NOT trade a state championship for the playing time. Not those guys. They are great kids and thrilled with the way it worked out - they have always known they aren't great basketball players and play more for the team camraderie than anything.

As I said in the other thread, the people we talk to have mixed feelings. Personally, we like the family, we like the kids. They've been generous to provide support to all of the players. The "dad" has gone out of his way over and over to encourage my son and emphasize his role on the team (he had and is still having a hard time going from starting Varsity to scrub player). They've worked really hard to be a real part of the community and that helps, I think.

The biggest complaint I hear (and have myself) is that Coach Green was content to just let the move-ins carry the team throughout the season. There were plenty of opportunities to let the other kids play more than they were allowed and it wouldn't have hurt the season. My son probably gets to play more than any of the other non starters and he still would average less than 6-7 minutes total playing time in a game. I'm not the type of person that thinks everyone should get equal playing time by any stretch, but most people connected with the team feel like the season wasn't our victory, it was only theirs. We do actually have a couple of other kids besides the move-ins that can contribute and play well, but they never really had the opportunity to get in there.

Oh I didn't address the trouble that Devonte got into. I struggle with that personally, but I haven't heard any talk around town about how everyone else feels.

I was and still am very irritated that the decision was made to let him come back, because I feel like it was purely a basketball based decision. Even if it wasn't, the timing makes it look otherwise. I also think it sends a message to the other boys that they can't handle playoffs without him. Which might have been true, but still.

I will say, though, that i am good friends with the parent of the other person involved and after hearing the story of what happened from their perspective, I think the original punishment was perhaps too harsh and 3 weeks was reasonable (3 weeks is how long they ended up staying, the original punishment was for the full 9 weeks). BUT the punishment was for 9 weeks and you can't change that just because we made playoffs.

Dembullz thank you for your straight forward answers. I don't know why but I find myself believing everything you said. I enjoyed reading your post and wish you and your son the best in the future. Maybe the Coach since he won his championship will figure how to get more people involved and still have the same success.

Dembullz thank you for your straight forward answers. I don't know why but I find myself believing everything you said. I enjoyed reading your post and wish you and your son the best in the future. Maybe the Coach since he won his championship will figure how to get more people involved and still have the same success.

Agreed.

Ladies and gentlemen,

There is a huge problem here. Yall are all up in arms now that some black kids are taking the white kids spots. Lets be honest, that is what bothers yall. We need to rake the civil rights legislation that was passed in the 60s, wad it up, and throw it in the trash. Not sure some things will ever change.

Ladies and gentlemen,

There is a huge problem here. Yall are all up in arms now that some black kids are taking the white kids spots. Lets be honest, that is what bothers yall. We need to rake the civil rights legislation that was passed in the 60s, wad it up, and throw it in the trash. Not sure some things will ever change.

Race baiting? Really?

The fact that you overlook that no one here has any connections to anyone on the team shows that you are trolling. People are mad bc they feel this may be recruiting... This has nothing to do with white, black, brown, or yellow...

Consider this a public warning... Go talk race issues in the other forums, don't come here and create problems out of nothing

Race baiting? Really?

The fact that you overlook that no one here has any connections to anyone on the team shows that you are trolling. People are mad bc they feel this may be recruiting... This has nothing to do with white, black, brown, or yellow...

Consider this a public warning... Go talk race issues in the other forums, don't come here and create problems out of nothing

i sure thought that there was a parent of a player that spoke up. Maybe I cant read.

What other forums should i go to so that this discussion can take place? Lets dont just ignore this. Just because we dont talk about it doesnt make it go away.

i sure thought that there was a parent of a player that spoke up. Maybe I cant read.

What other forums should i go to so that this discussion can take place? Lets dont just ignore this. Just because we dont talk about it doesnt make it go away.

Show the quote or article... This is the first suggestion of race in this thread

I tried to quote just a few but it gave me an error saying it was too many block of quotes. No one came out and blatantly said it because no one is stupid, except me. Lets dont act as if it isnt true. This way of thinking will never change in my lifetime at least but lets dont act as if it doesnt exist.