16-3A Baseball

Horns85

I've seen them both play. We have played everyone with the exception of L/K. Don't have an opinion about them yet. Hughes Springs is the best in our district by a large margin. MV is a good team just not as solid as HS.

MV struck out 8 times and had 3 hits against us. HS had 6 hits with 2 k's and a much much better plate approach. That's not counting the 6 errors against HS and the 2 against MV that Pewitt had. On the defensive side Pewitt had one hit(I know Horns you think it was a no hitter) against HS and 8 against MV. It is my understanding that we was going against HS #3. I'm sure MV was the same way. Pewitt put the ball into play against HS they just made the plays to stop it. Pewitt also had 6 walks against MV and 1 against HS.

With all of that being said, I don't think it will be close. I expect HS to win by 5+.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen them both play. We have played everyone with the exception of L/K. Don't have an opinion about them yet. Hughes Springs is the best in our district by a large margin. MV is a good team just not as solid as HS.

MV struck out 8 times and had 3 hits against us. HS had 6 hits with 2 k's and a much much better plate approach. That's not counting the 6 errors against HS and the 2 against MV that Pewitt had. On the defensive side Pewitt had one hit(I know Horns you think it was a no hitter) against HS and 8 against MV. It is my understanding that we was going against HS #3. I'm sure MV was the same way. Pewitt put the ball into play against HS they just made the plays to stop it. Pewitt also had 6 walks against MV and 1 against HS.

With all of that being said, I don't think it will be close. I expect HS to win by 5+.

I see what you're saying. MV's ace is good though. Will be interesting to see how he throws.

Wasn't trying to knock on MV. HS is better than I expected. I've been doing this for a while and they are pretty good.

No harm. Was interested in what you had seen. HS seems to be that way every year. It's always fun to see how far they can go. They have the experience for sure.

The play that GBB is referencing to on no hitter / 1 hitter I believe was at first of game, ball was hit to 3B and the throw was bad, with a good throw runner would have been out but I suppose some call it a error and others a hit!

Was just curious on MV and HS so I looked up common opponents and district opponents! Common opponents have been Linden, Chapel Hill and Pewitt

MV has scored 11 runs and gave up 2

HS has scored 27 runs and gave up 1

Somethings will have to give Friday night though!

If you compare all district opponents both have played you'd add DF to MV total and QC to HS total

It would look like this

HS 40 runs scores with 1 run allowed

MV 16 runs scored with 4 runs allowed

4/7

Daingerfield @ Hughes Springs

Mt Vernon @ Queen City

Chapel Hill @ Linden-Kildare

Pewitt - Open

4/10 (Second Round Of District Starts)

Linden-Kildare @ Mt Vernon

Pewitt @ Chapel Hill

Queen City @ Daingerfield

Hughes Springs - Open

Easy to answer that one. Lack of continuity. Some of the area's better players have Pewitt roots. They just replant somewhere else. I don't have a problem with it. People should do what is best for their kids. I'm hoping that the pendulum swings the other way some day. I left Daingerfield years ago to raise my kids here.

Easy to answer that one. Lack of continuity. Some of the area's better players have Pewitt roots. They just replant somewhere else. I don't have a problem with it. People should do what is best for their kids. I'm hoping that the pendulum swings the other way some day. I left Daingerfield years ago to raise my kids here.

They haven't kept a head coach either though, have they? I feel like it's almost been a swinging door. I'm not sure, really asking.

Little league program is terrible and always has been terrible. Daddy ball at its finest! If the players don't develop a skill set before their freshman year I Don't care who is coaching them in high school its going to be rough. The schools that are successful year in and year out have better programs at the lower levels In my opinion.

I would agree, but disagree as well. Yes it does start at that level. It takes kids countless hours to develop skill. Select ball has had more to do with killing local leagues as anything else. Gone are the days when a local league team really means much. If a town has a good local team they play select as a group as well.

That is usually where local school teams pick up players from. Parents agree that their kids should play with each other and find a way around the recruiting system.

If you take Pewitt's team as it is today. All of the kids played league ball with a few playing select. We have a couple of kid's that could help but they choose not to play baseball anymore. I would bet that all of them on the team have spent as much as anyone else at the lower levels playing.

I coached what would be our Sr & Jr group. In the little league years we dominated local competition. That included Hughes Springs, Mt. Pleasant, and Atlanta/QC teams. Of those boys only 2 are still playing. Parents get divorced, kids make bad choices in life, kids get disinterested, move off, or just don't care. We went the select ball route when things began to unravel. I wanted my son to see better competition.

With all of that said, it does start at the lower levels. It takes parents who want the best for their kids to succeed and get them the reps to get there. Hughes Springs youth program has done a fine job of that. Daingerfield use to have a great program and now it is just sad. Pewitt has a good core of people pushing for that again. I hope that they succeed. I've got a 5 year old just starting.