7-3A D2 Football '15

I cannot make the quote feature work for a response to Boston LIon. Me personally I do not care at all for the I. I have Coached everything from Bone to Spread and everything in between. the "I" is my LEAST favorite offense ESPECIALLY if you do not have a "GO DADDY" sitting back there at 7 yards deep to Dot the I. Like New Boston had with Haskins. Personally speaking I think the "I" is the easiest offense to game plan for. Your reads for the Defense are VERY easy. The list of things you can BESIDES Tossing the Ball or handing it off deep to your Tail Back is very short. I want an Offense that is adaptable every year for a program and does not count on one dominant player in the same position every year. What happens when you do not have that TB and you run I. Speaking from experience it is not pretty.

Same thing with the Power I. You can get through a year easier without a Great Tailback in the Power I because now you have two lead blockers. VERY tough to stop the Blast or Iso when you have two guys leading for the TB. You can put ten in the box and it is still hard to hold them to less than four yards per carry. But like the I you have very little chance to change it up when you need something else.

IF I were going to be the HC of a Team that was average or even bellow average I would probably do what Redwater or Winnsboro do. The Flexbone has a fantastic repertoire of things you can do out of it. Depending on your given talent level in a season. But you still REALLY need a Stud FB for that offense. But it is easier to find a good FB than it is a Great TB that you need for the I.

But all of this is just my opinion. The most important Offense to run is the Offense that your kids can be BEST successful running. It is NOT about what the Coach KNOWS, it is all about what the kids can execute.

• Like 1

And Hughes Springs Coaches do a GREAT job in their Slot T. I would like to ask them who they learned it from. Being an old Slot T Mafia person myself (even though my secret decoder ring got taken up years ago when I entered this century and started appreciated the finer points of the Spread) I know all of those guys. There are basically two families of descendants from the Slot T creators, the Bruce Bush family and the .........oh heck, I brainfarted and forgot the other guys name. Dang it. Anyways I came from the Bruce Bush side.

But anywho I have noticed that even Hughes Springs when they need to go quick gets in Shotgun so they can get down the field.

If you are Slot T Team and are down by two scored in the fourth quarter it is going to be REALLY tough if you stay in "A" Set and run 234 or 228. Maybe you can get a quick score with a "Peanut" or "8HR" but it is still going to be tough sledding if you have to throw the ball and the defense has their ears pinned back and coming to get you.

There is NOTHING better than getting a four point stance and being able to come off the ball with your butt on fire for Run Blocking. But it is DANGED hard to pass pro out of it.

Our Previous AD worked with Bush and Vance. As far as who taught HS? After I graduated, HS came to Pewitt and Kumrow taught em. I and many of my fellow players were very disappointed in that. Didn't work out well for Kumrow in the end. The coaches that came after I left got further and further from the true slot t anyway. We needed a change and we got it and some discipline. Brahma pride is back!

That is good, I know it is painful for y'all when such a storied and historic programs suffers for whatever reason the last few seasons. Hope y'all get things back on track and rolling again. I remember seeing Pewitt against Boyd a few years back and was really impressed with how hard they played. I remember thinking that I could not recall a harder hitting team at that level before.

You don't know much do you. I know for FACT that the HS coaching staff got with the premier guys from Liberty Hill to teach them the offense. They also studied other folks such as Vidor too. And before you ask what makes me an authority, I'm closer to this than brahma fan.

You're right. My bad. I forget that you folk believe yall invented everything and have the patent. Al Gore will be upset thinking he invented the internet when clearly it was yall. By the way when did the school colors change over there. Lots of purple and gold was watched in HS when the slot-t was put in...........................................

Please don't come at me with arrogance, considering you come from red and black territory. That is most definitely calling the kettle black. You can argue it all you want but the first stop on learning the slot-t took place in the Pewitt field house for the Mustangs.

Please don't come at me with arrogance, considering you come from red and black territory. That is most definitely calling the kettle black. You can argue it all you want but the first stop on learning the slot-t took place in the Pewitt field house for the Mustangs.

my oh my was either one of yall there to back up your stories if not let it go if I was a betting man though I would bet on popoff

This should stop the bickering. Pewitt has been more successful running the slot t. One state championship appearance and a semi final appearance running it. Hughes springs has made it to the 3rd round. I watched Hughes springs play EF and blow the game one year running something other than the Slot t but I can't remember which year that was. I do know that HS coaches talked to Kumrow in the film room about the offense in Kumrows first year as the AD. One of my teammates (Ramsey) was sitting in the room. They may have also visited or watched liberty hill also!

This should stop the bickering. Pewitt has been more successful running the slot t. One state championship appearance and a semi final appearance running it. Hughes springs has made it to the 3rd round. I watched Hughes springs play EF and blow the game one year running something other than the Slot t but I can't remember which year that was. I do know that HS coaches talked to Kumrow in the film room about the offense in Kumrows first year as the AD. One of my teammates (Ramsey) was sitting in the room. They may have also visited or watched liberty hill also!

Why you gotta stop the bickering it was just getting good lol

I don't follow either program closely so I did a small amount of research on both. Information was obtained from the historical section of this site and lonestarfootball.net

The current Hughes Springs coach became AD in 07 and the Paul Pewitt had a coaching change in 08. 2008-2014 will be the reference years. In said years Hughes Springs complied a record of 54-27 with the counter part Paul Pewitt 49-34 in the same time frame. Obtained also was the head to head records of those years. Hughes Springs holds 4-1 record over Paul Pewitt in those years.

Bickering on who taught who what is immaterial, but it seems if Paul Pewitt taught Hughes Springs they are getting beat at their own game.

I don't follow either program closely so I did a small amount of research on both. Information was obtained from the historical section of this site and lonestarfootball.net

The current Hughes Springs coach became AD in 07 and the Paul Pewitt had a coaching change in 08. 2008-2014 will be the reference years. In said years Hughes Springs complied a record of 54-27 with the counter part Paul Pewitt 49-34 in the same time frame. Obtained also was the head to head records of those years. Hughes Springs holds 4-1 record over Paul Pewitt in those years.

Bickering on who taught who what is immaterial, but it seems if Paul Pewitt taught Hughes Springs they are getting beat at their own game.

I will give you the head to head. HS has owned Pewitt recently. However overall records are misleading. Pewitt has played the Daingerfield, LE and the Arps of the worlds in the Preseason recently and their schedule last year and this year is brutal. Not smart scheduling I don't believe. HS has started to play better competition in the preseason because I think they have figured out its better to lose some games in preseason to see what they are made of instead of Finding out early in the playoffs.

Ok so maybe Paul Pewitt had a tougher non district strength of schedule those seven years but three of those years both teams was in the same district playing the same teams. Combined district records of each over the past three years with the SAME opponents is as follows.

Paul Pewitt 11-8

Hughes Springs 18-1

Those overall records aren't misleading.