Scrimmage: Ennis at Longview

LoboFan07

Posted ImagePosted Image

LONGVIEW LOBOS VS ENNIS LIONS

DATE: Friday, August 21st, 2015

TIME: 7:30 PM

Just so we have a place to talk about the scrimmage like we did last season. Ennis, the defending Class 5A Division II State Champions, come in ranked 3rd in the State. First visit to Longview under any circumstances since 1949.

• Like 1

Looking forward to the scrimmage...even taking the day off from work!!! Based on what I'm hearing lately from those who have been watching the team since spring football, this will NOT be a big down year for Ennis as some around here were thinking earlier. The Longview scrimmage and opening games against Mansfield Timberview and Denton Guyer should tell us pretty quick about where we are.

I didn't see last year's scrimmage. I think the Lobo's were missing key players due to injuries. Notwithstanding Ennis' dominating performance that day, I do remember someone from Longview on this board accurately predicted we would have a hard time stopping the run. Several times last year I was reminded of that prediction by our play on the field, especially against Sulphur Springs. So I'll be especially interested to what you guys have to say about us after this scrimmage!!! LOL

I think the Lobos will dominate this one similar to what Ennis did last season. I think Ennis lost majority of their team. Their coaching staff will have those boys ready for district though.

I am not drinking the kool aid. I think they will be very good as usual but will have trouble with the better teams. I think Lufkin, JT, and Ennis will give them trouble. If Byrd has a passing game they will play with Longview. The rest of our games will be practice fodder.

I am not drinking the kool aid. I think they will be very good as usual but will have trouble with the better teams. I think Lufkin, JT, and Ennis will give them trouble. If Byrd has a passing game they will play with Longview. The rest of our games will be practice fodder.

Byrd lost like 3/4ths of their team from last season's solid squad. But don't think they were ever really known for their passing game even last year.

We'll see what happens. I'm a lot more optimistic than last year from everything I've ever and seen from spring til now. Last year you could just see something was off, plus the injuries started up. Such a completely different feeling going into this year.

Byrd lost like 3/4ths of their team from last season's solid squad. But don't think they were ever really known for their passing game even last year.

We'll see what happens. I'm a lot more optimistic than last year from everything I've ever and seen from spring til now. Last year you could just see something was off, plus the injuries started up. Such a completely different feeling going into this year.

I saw the scrimmage Saturday, and I felt better then than I did all season, last year. (The only exception being our first round win against Lufkin, lol!) I am excited to see how the difference in leadership this year affects the play! So far, I have nothing but positive feelings.

GO LOBOS!

For those that haven't seen scrimmage format...

The freshman will get going at 5:30 p.m. on Friday on the grass fields with the junior varsity going simultaneously inside Lobo Stadium. Both groups first teams will get two 12-play sets.

The varsity squads will warm up beginning at 6:30 p.m. on the turf with the scrimmage set for a 7 p.m. start.

Longview will start on offense first for 12 plays before going to the first-team defense. The second teams will follow with the same format. It will run through each team twice. Each team will start on the 30 and failure to reach a first down, turnover, etc. will cause the ball to get reset. Beyond the 50-yard line is considered four-down territory.

The scrimmage will conclude with two 12-minute live quarters.

I know it's a scrimmage but man I hope we don't get our backsides handed to us like last year...

Me Too! It was hard to watch. IMHO, I thought the team as whole was not there mentally. I could see it coming in the warm ups...Ennis was full of energy....we were just sorta just standing around. I hope there is a fire within the beast this year! GO LOBOS!