Week Seven: Longview at Marshall

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (4-1) vs Marshall Mavericks (5-0)  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Marshall in a blow out

UGH!

While recent records between Longview/Marshall reflect similarly to the Nac/Lufkin rivalry....... overall.... the two series aren't even in the same ballpark.

But comparing us to Nac..... a program with NO history at ALL to speak of...... NO WAY!!!!!

While the last 4-5 years have been tough on us..... we are still one of the historically stronger programs in the region. Lots of trophies in our cabinet. Lots of district titles.... and more playoff games than Nac can conceive of right now.

Give us a LITTLE credit.....even if we may get our rear end handed to us Friday.

Come on Mav...I know about the Mav program and definitely wasn't comparing it to the mess that is Nac. I was mostly referring to the losing streak and the Mavs ending the one against Lv, like Nac did against us. I was just using Nac as an example, because I can't think of another team that ended a long streak like that against a rival.

Current seniors have no recollection of it, that's all ya need to know.

Heck....my son's a teenager and he wasn't even alive for the last Marshall win over Longview.

It kind of puts it into perspective to my childhood when Marshall snapped a 19 game losing streak to Longview in 1988. That's a long time if you sit down and think about it.

I'm feeling really old now. The senior patrolman on my shift was born around that same time. Sheesh. Where do the years go?

It was 2000, Coach Collins first year when the team went 3-7. I think she score was 38-28. The next year, Longview squeaked out a 28-23 win at Lobo and since then, Longview has won every game, and most weren't close. It was 28-16 in 2005, 38-35 in 2006, and 26-14 in 2013. Other than that, games weren't within 2 possessions, although there were many that Marshall kept close though half (led 15-10 at half in 2004, tied in 2008 and only down 10 in 2011, for example), and had years where they definitely should've held it close or won (in 2007, Longview won 41-7 but Marshall had 6 trips inside the Lobo 35 where they got no points, including one being an interception returned for a TD).

Heck....my son's a teenager and he wasn't even alive for the last Marshall win over Longview.

My brother is a senior this year at New Diana. He was two when the win happened for the Mavs. What really got me on the age thing was him having no memory of 9/11. I was just like holy moly.

One and only.

Good to have you back!!

My brother is a senior this year at New Diana. He was two when the win happened for the Mavs. What really got me on the age thing was him having no memory of 9/11. I was just like holy moly.

That is something. Still seems like yesterday to me.

Y'all are talking about the seniors....the freshmen in HS were basically born the year it happened!

Longview has dominated us since this streak started.

I think some of the final scores aren't indicative as to how close some of the games were for the majority of the contest, only to see things completely fall apart in the final quarter. Like another post said.... some of these games were EXTREMELY close at the half and even well into the 4th quarter. But Longview always seems to use their depth, their talent, (and sometimes their superior) coaching to pull out what ultimately ended up being blowout wins. We always seem to help them out some of the most ridiculous and creative turnovers known to football. It's become nearly comical how it's expected Vs. the Lobos. There is no question that this has become somewhat of a mental block for us. While I don't debate Longview has been better than us the last 14 contests..... I don't believe they have consistently been 28-35 points better than us. JMHO. I personally would love to see the rivalry return to what it was when I was growing up. I don't recall most of the 19 year streak from the 70's and 80's..... but I do remember when it ended. And from 1987 to 2002 the series was just about as even as it could be (8-8).... and probably the "Golden Age" of the rivalry unless you go back to prior to 1969.

Like I've already said..... if you had asked me last Friday afternoon about this game I would have said Longview in a nailbiter. I honestly believed we could hang with the Lobos this season and maybe actually make them break a sweat for the first time in a while. Was thinking Longview by 10-14. But after seeing that pitiful display Friday night...... I have to believe more of the same is coming. I have absolutely no explanation for how BAD we looked Friday night. Against Pine Tree no less. Offensive line wasn't blocking, hardly no holes were opened up. Dropped passes. The 4 turnovers.... more than we've had all season in 4 previous games combined. And our defense got tore up for 380 some-odd yards against a team Longview completely shut down. The entire game was a mess on both sides of the ball. I'd like to think it was because we were looking past them thinking about this game already..... but Jeeeez.... Pine Tree.

On a side note.... I saw someone comment about the attitude and cockiness about Cam Haller on another board. No idea where he got that feeling from. The kid is one of the most polite, humble, and respectful guys you could ever talk to. He's always quick to praise his O-line and everyone around him before saying anything nice about himself. If anything last week.... he was being a team leader and telling them to pull their heads out of their rear ends before they get beat! He's a great guy on and off the field. So it's a pity they took anything he did as cocky.

Hoping for an upset..... but not feeling real high right now. Lobos win comfortably is how I feel ATM.

I'll be honest. Before the season, I thought it would be closer than last season but I still thought we'd win comfortably.

I knew Marshall would romp in their first three games. I didn't expect them to struggle against Hallsville or Pine Tree. I haven't seen the Mavs in person but I've watched all their games and I just see the same Marshall team we played last year but a year older.

I think a big weakness we have the potential to spotlight is the kick return game. Seemed like every time Pine Tree or Hallsville got the ball after a kickoff it was around the 40 yard line. That'll be an interesting point to watch Friday.

I do believe we have improved a lot since we started this season. The number of penalties has decreased significantly, we haven't thrown an interception in three games, and while we had a couple fumbles that we didn't lose this last week...we've caught them down as well big time since the start of the year. We haven't had a bad snap on the first team in a long time (knock on wood). Jenkins is also a big factor for us knowing he's there and can knock down from a long way way (that kick this past week in that wind was impressive imo).

Hate on Ross all you want but he's a complete different guy from Aug 28th already. I am concerned about the drops but our receivers outside of Sorey are still young. Wyatt and Braggs were very impressive against Greenville I thought.

I'm still as excited about this team's potential as I was this summer. Defensively we've got to stop the arm tackles but overall I'm way way impressed with them (when they aren't on the field 85% of the game like they were against Byrd).

I expect a comfortable win Friday, but that's more so cause of where we are. 2013 isn't going to help Marshall like their announcers kept trying to portray in the PT team, just like last year isn't going to help us. I just think we're a better football team than the Mavs.

Marshall struggling as much as they have recently in the first half is just asking for a similar game as last year, but I think they'll be hyped up from all what they're going to watch before hand. Hopefully it'll have the type of affect on us that I think it's going to.

And for the record.... I'm still excited about our team. In spite of last week.... and no matter what happens this week.

I do think we're better than we were last year. Every single statistic out there shows that. And I'm not going to act like a possible (9-1) or (8-2) regular season doesn't get me excited.

I'm disappointed in how we played last week. But games like that happen. Shake it off and move on.

I think we've got an exciting 5 weeks ahead of us.... and beyond.

Just want to see the guys go out this week and play at full speed. And whatever happens, happens. We'll have 4 more games to concentrate on headed into the post season.

\m/

• Like 1

And for the record.... I'm still excited about our team. In spite of last week.... and no matter what happens this week.

I do think we're better than we were last year. Every single statistic out there shows that. And I'm not going to act like a possible (9-1) or (8-2) regular season doesn't get me excited.

I'm disappointed in how we played last week. But games like that happen. Shake it off and move on.

I think we've got an exciting 5 weeks ahead of us.... and beyond.

Just want to see the guys go out this week and play at full speed. And whatever happens, happens. We'll have 4 more games to concentrate on headed into the post season.

\m/

Exactly.

I would like to see Marshall get back to how it was in the late 80s and early 90s where the entire town was closed for business on Friday nights.