Hallsville Bobcats @ Mount Pleasant Tigers

budmanmpfan

Hallsville Bobcats will be coming to visit Mount Pleasant with possible playoff implications. Mount Pleasant is coming into this game with a running back that has been hard to handle for the last 2 games. He has had 285 yards and 415 yards tespectively against Greenville and SS. Can he keep it up against Hallsville or will the Bobcat defense step up and get their first district victory over the Tigers?

Hallsville should be the favorite in this game. With the Bobcats coming to Mp I think Mp will hang pretty tight with them. Mp is gaining confidence and experience as we go. Mp will have to win the turnover battle and reduce penalties to have a chance to pull an upset.

Hallsville should be the favorite in this game. With the Bobcats coming to Mp I think Mp will hang pretty tight with them. Mp is gaining confidence and experience as we go. Mp will have to win the turnover battle and reduce penalties to have a chance to pull an upset.

Agreed

Pulling for MP....but I think Hallsville takes it.

Was shocked to see Hallsville struggle the way they did offensively against Texas High. BUT.... I was shocked they held Texas High to just 21. I was expecting a shootout.

Not sure MP can have a shootout Vs. the Bobcats.

But like I said.... pulling for MP.

Man this is a tough one to call. Going into the season, didn't expect to be discussing a possible win over Hallsville. Hallsville's D has not been good and although I said we needed at least 75 yards passing against SS to get the win, I was proven wrong. So, can the Bobcat D come up with a way to slow Holloman and the Big O-Line? Holloman has been more than impressive, how long can that small frame take 40-50 carries/game and continue to carry that O remains to be seen. He is very tough to get a big hit on, so that helps. I still think we will have to find a way to move the ball besides Holloman to beat Hallsville and I have seen nothing from our passing game that gives me hope. But again, I said the same thing before the SS game. The freshman QB, who was the JV QB prior to the Greenville game, has not gotten enough snaps in either game for me to offer much of an opinion on whether he is close to being varsity ready and he has not thrown a pass yet. The Patterson kid who is a Sr and a three year starter for the Tiger offense has not played in several weeks and I am not sure what he can bring to the O if and when he comes back. Just can't see teams continue to let Holloman do what he has been doing. SS tried putting 9 men in the box, but putting 9 men in the box does not matter if those 9 men can't tackle. Love being 2-0 in district and still fully understand why some folks have questions because those wins are against a bad Greenville team and a bad SS team, but I agree with MavChamp, I was afraid of another 0-10 season so I am loving where we sit right now and catching every team after they play T-High is not bad either.

Look for another fun one Friday night. Good luck and safe travels for the Hallsville folks. Go Tigers!

I sure hope that we can find ways to move the ball other than Holloman...but he is fun to watch! I did see us sub in a couple different guys to spell him against SS so there is hope, now for the freshman he just might be a great one someday only time will tell.

Amazing to me that Holloman can hold up under all these carries. He is difficult to land a hit on, true enough, but I hope this overuse doesn't lead to injury, such as ACL, ect. It's almost abusive overuse if you ask me, which obviously you didn't. Anyway, the kid has a bright future, just hope he isn't asked to do too much.

Holloman is averaging about 30 carries per game. Think last week was a product of success that led to extra carries. And truthfully I only got my information on carries from our local paper and I have seen them be wrong as much as right!

Holloman is averaging about 30 carries per game. Think last week was a product of success that led to extra carries. And truthfully I only got my information on carries from our local paper and I have seen them be wrong as much as right!

Thats true about the Tribune. He is a good back and im with everyone else. Hopefully they can start moving the ball other ways before THigh.

Can't say that I would agree with being a product of a coaching staff. I think when you are in that profession and are basically kept based on wins and losses, you do what it takes to win. On that night, that is what it took to win. Think everyone would be all over the coaching staff if they said lets pull him after 25 carries like it is a pitch count or something. Not to many years ago, before the spread came along, backs carried 40 times/game with regularity. We will see and I agree, I hope his body holds up, but I hope every kid holds up, regardless of the position they play. Those linemen at every school are taking a pounding on every play, regardless of who ends up with the ball.

Actually, I think last week for Holloman was a product of a coaching staff up against it and unable to get anything else going. That much is obvious.

I'm taking your post as the MP coaching staff is up against a wall and couldn't get anything else going...?? Is that how you intended that to be taken? If so, being a coach and having a run game working against an opponent...why would you NOT continue to run the ball?!?

It's like 3 years ago when KD Cannon was scoring and racking up so many yards on simple screen passes, someone posted that MP has no passing attack, they just throw screen after screen to Cannon.....WHAT?! Last time I checked, a screen pass counts for passing/receiving yards and a touchdown is a touchdown. If MP saw that their running game was being successful, why would you change just to try and get something else going?

I'm taking your post as the MP coaching staff is up against a wall and couldn't get anything else going...?? Is that how you intended that to be taken? If so, being a coach and having a run game working against an opponent...why would you NOT continue to run the ball?!?

It's like 3 years ago when KD Cannon was scoring and racking up so many yards on simple screen passes, someone posted that MP has no passing attack, they just throw screen after screen to Cannon.....WHAT?! Last time I checked, a screen pass counts for passing/receiving yards and a touchdown is a touchdown. If MP saw that their running game was being successful, why would you change just to try and get something else going?

Not exactly. The point of that post and the previous post I left regarding the running back was really concerned with the physical toll taken by a high school running back who carries the ball 49 carries in a game. It's a similar situation to a pitch count for a high school pitcher in my mind. I wasn't really concerned with the style of offense the MP team was running or the definition of a successful passing attack.

Not exactly. The point of that post and the previous post I left regarding the running back was really concerned with the physical toll taken by a high school running back who carries the ball 49 carries in a game. It's a similar situation to a pitch count for a high school pitcher in my mind. I wasn't really concerned with the style of offense the MP team was running or the definition of a successful passing attack.

I gotcha. That definitely makes sense. I wasn't trying to go off on you with the passing attack thing, just using that as an observation if you indeed were trying to say that about the running attack.

My personal opinion: back in the "ground and pound" days of football, backs carried it at LEAST 40 times a game (single player). And there were a LOT less safeguards in place for them. I think kids now days are good for that amount of totes....now if you start giving it to them EVERY play, maybe not lol.