Hallsville Bobcats @ Mount Pleasant Tigers

budmanmpfan

In 2008 playoff game vs Marshall, Kilgore handed the ball to Reddick every play. Ended with 56 carries in a close win. Literally 3 yards and a cloud of dust all night.

One of the most frustrating playoff games ever.

We were a MASH unit. Had a backup QB in. Backup RB in. And still almost won it.

Probably a good thing. We would have gotten blasted the next week.

Hallsville is in TROUBLE if they lose this game.

In 2008 playoff game vs Marshall, Kilgore handed the ball to Reddick every play. Ended with 56 carries in a close win. Literally 3 yards and a cloud of dust all night.

I remember he had to change pants on the sideline in the 2nd half because his first pair looked like they got run over by a lawnmower.

According to ETSN site Holloman has 142 carries for 1268 yards and 11 TDS in 5 games. That averages out to 28.4 carries per game and 8.93 per carry. That does not seem to be over worked as much as we first reported! I would think the ETSN would probably be more accurate than the Daily Tribune...just my opinion

Can't say that I would agree with being a product of a coaching staff. I think when you are in that profession and are basically kept based on wins and losses, you do what it takes to win. On that night, that is what it took to win. Think everyone would be all over the coaching staff if they said lets pull him after 25 carries like it is a pitch count or something. Not to many years ago, before the spread came along, backs carried 40 times/game with regularity. We will see and I agree, I hope his body holds up, but I hope every kid holds up, regardless of the position they play. Those linemen at every school are taking a pounding on every play, regardless of who ends up with the ball.

Being in that profession necessarily makes the decision to call a back's number 90 times in two games a product of the coaching staff, doesn't it? Spectators can't call plays.

Not too many years ago guys played with concussions too, and now we have learned the dangers of that way of thinking. Linemen do take a pounding, but not nearly as many high impact, violent collisions with top-end speed hitting top-end speed or being gang tackled, as do running backs.

Are you then suggesting that a RB should be limited to x number of carries, a QB should be limited to x number of throws, a R/TE should be limited to x number of receptions and I guess since we are here and talking high impact then a LB/S/CB might should be limited to x number of tackles???

If this is what you are suggesting, then I would love to hear those numbers and then I want to see a FOOTBALL coach take his MLB out after his 15th tackle and so on.

.... and I believe it was more like 7 yds and a cloud of dust. He had over 350 yds that night and his longest run was probably 15 yds.

Yea. Talking about playing keep away. Made sure not to pass the ball at all for fears of it resulting in a punt. Was just fine goin for it on 4th and short. Dont think yall had one single 4th and 5 or longer. One incomplete pass may have cost kilgore the game.

Yea. Talking about playing keep away. Made sure not to pass the ball at all for fears of it resulting in a punt. Was just fine goin for it on 4th and short. Dont think yall had one single 4th and 5 or longer. One incomplete pass may have cost kilgore the game.

Any little mistake by our O and Marshall would have won.

Unfortunately, the next week wasn't so kind to us.... we were 0 yds and a cloud of dust against Ennis.

Are you then suggesting that a RB should be limited to x number of carries, a QB should be limited to x number of throws, a R/TE should be limited to x number of receptions and I guess since we are here and talking high impact then a LB/S/CB might should be limited to x number of tackles???

If this is what you are suggesting, then I would love to hear those numbers and then I want to see a FOOTBALL coach take his MLB out after his 15th tackle and so on.

I think my posts make it clear that I am stating that requiring a back to carry the ball 49 times is borderline abusive. High school football players suffer three times as many catastrophic injuries as college players meaning deaths, permanent disability injuries, neck fractures and serious head injuries, among other conditions, according to a 2007 study in the American Journal of Sports Medicine.

Keep in mind, when talking season stats as a whole, Holloman missed most of the Paris game after being injured. The Rodgers kid took over and got most of the load. I'd say Holloman didn't have anymore than 12 carries in that game, so that could skew the numbers just a tad.

I'd say high school players suffer more injuries because A. there flat out more high school kids playing football than there are college kids and B. High school kids technique aren't going to be nearly as sound as college. More kids putting their head down or something of the sort. Maybe there's something to it, IDK, but not a comparison I would make.

Jerek you obviously never played the game. Running backs run because they love to carry the ball. 20 times or 50 times, it does not matter. It's the best feeling in the world to hit a hole and it just opens up and you see daylight. If a back gets tired or winded he will let the coach know. Holloman is not very big, so he does not take big hits. If you watched the last two games you would know that an egg could have been taped to his head and it would not of been broken. Greenville or Sulphur Springs would not bite a biscuit, the closest Holloman would of come to getting hurt would been if he wore out his shoes and got a blister. Coaches can not win, they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. If you throw the ball people ###, if you don't throw it they ______, if you go for it on forth down they _____, if you don't they _____ . You should try and make everyone happy, you can't. MP won by one point, that's the closest game with SS in years, if the coaching staff would of decided to not let Holloman carry the ball after his thirty or thirty first carry and lost the game, you and everyone else would be _____ing. They were 0- 13 and no one was happy, now they are 2-0 in district and you want to _____ about how they are winning. Leave the coaching to coaches, they know what's best, after all they are with the kids everyday and they know them better than you.

• Like 2

NoFool13, I have seen the games. He did take some big hits, and he had to come out due to one hit. The issue you probably don't recognize is that the hits a back takes is merely one aspect of the situation. Studies have shown that fatigue often leads to injuries. You can talk all you want about the coaches knowing what is best, but a win is not worth ruining a young man's health by overextending his work. Why not give the ball to another running back a little more so that one back doesn't reach 50 carries in a game?

Thanks for your post. Next time try to fill in the blanks, or did that work you too hard? Are you overextended and can't think which word to choose, or do you just have some limitations?

You strap them on because you love the game and everyone who has ever strapped them on understands this. IT IS A CONTACT SPORT! If you are worried about getting hurt, not the game for you. Try golf or something along those lines. If it had gone to overtime which everyone thought it was, he would have had 60 carries and I can guarantee you Holloman wanted the ball in overtime. True players want the ball!

Your emphasis is on high contact hits that a RB receives, therefore someone has to deliver these hits. I still want to know how many violent hits you feel a LB should be allowed to be in on before it becomes abusive???

• Like 1

You strap them on because you love the game and everyone who has ever strapped them on understands this. IT IS A CONTACT SPORT! If you are worried about getting hurt, not the game for you. Try golf or something along those lines. If it had gone to overtime which everyone thought it was, he would have had 60 carries and I can guarantee you Holloman wanted the ball in overtime. True players want the ball!

Your emphasis is on high contact hits that a RB receives, therefore someone has to deliver these hits. I still want to know how many violent hits you feel a LB should be allowed to be in on before it becomes abusive???

Have you ever heard the phrase, "I'd rather be the hammer than the nail."? I think it applies here. The one delivering the blow is more prepared for the contact and chooses the spot he is going to hit and also chooses which part of his body will deliver the blow. Those aspects of the contact matter and give the defender an advantage over a back carrying the ball. Sure Holloman wanted the ball every carry he could get, but that begs the question.

Anyone from Hallsville know much about the kid (#40) on your 8th grade squad? I am going to say 6'5"ish and 250ish and can flat play anywhere. Lined him up all over the field on O and played DT on D. He is special for an 8th grader.

Anyone from Hallsville know much about the kid (#40) on your 8th grade squad? I am going to say 6'5"ish and 250ish and can flat play anywhere. Lined him up all over the field on O and played DT on D. He is special for an 8th grader.

Yes, that is the O-Line coach's son. They are a move in this year from Florida. His oldest brother is a starting offensive lineman for Georgia Tech and is a team captain. His other brother is #51 for the varsity team and is a D1 prospect as well.

The 8th grader is a ballboy on Friday nights. He will be one of the biggest person on the sideline!