Carthage vs Kilgore; The Big Red Dogfight

CarthDawg77

Carthage vs. Kilgore: The Big Red Dogfight  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your winner!!!!

Kilgore's line hasn't pass blocked much at all. When they throw the ball, it's when the opponents have almost all their defense near the line of scrimmage, and Jackson has popped one just behind, or he throws right at the line of scrimmage. Shepherd, the receiver, is a good athlete, but drops a lot of passes in practice. There's a reason they don't throw the ball to him much.

I don't know about Carthage's defensive front this year -- last year Kilgore was shellshocked when their quarterback got injured in the first half, and wasn't prepared for it, IMO. The backup at the time (still the backup) was injured, too, and they had to go to an emergency QB, a defensive back. Carthage didn't stop the run well last year, again IMO. But this ain't last year.

If Carthage can stop the run, and force Jackson to pass, Kilgore could be in a lot of trouble. If Carthage has problems against the run (and they probably haven't seen backs like Kilgore's Smith and Melek Hamilton), then CARTHAGE could be in a lot of trouble.

Apples and oranges.

Mitch is a good writer, and the Kilgore Oline is improved, quite a bit since the first three games. Not sure they're the best Oline in the district, but he might be right. if not Kilgore's, whose? Carthage? Henderson? That would be about it cause it sure ain't Palestine, Chapel Hill or Brownsboro. Maybe it is Carthage. I guess we'll find out Friday night.

• Like 1

Kilgore's line hasn't pass blocked much at all. When they throw the ball, it's when the opponents have almost all their defense near the line of scrimmage, and Jackson has popped one just behind, or he throws right at the line of scrimmage. Shepherd, the receiver, is a good athlete, but drops a lot of passes in practice. There's a reason they don't throw the ball to him much.

I don't know about Carthage's defensive front this year -- last year Kilgore was shellshocked when their quarterback got injured in the first half, and wasn't prepared for it, IMO. The backup at the time (still the backup) was injured, too, and they had to go to an emergency QB, a defensive back. Carthage didn't stop the run well last year, again IMO. But this ain't last year.

If Carthage can stop the run, and force Jackson to pass, Kilgore could be in a lot of trouble. If Carthage has problems against the run (and they probably haven't seen backs like Kilgore's Smith and Melek Hamilton), then CARTHAGE could be in a lot of trouble.

Apples and oranges.

Mitch is a good writer, and the Kilgore Oline is improved, quite a bit since the first three games. Not sure they're the best Oline in the district, but he might be right. if not Kilgore's, whose? Carthage? Henderson? That would be about it cause it sure ain't Palestine, Chapel Hill or Brownsboro. Maybe it is Carthage. I guess we'll find out Friday night.

Gilmer running backs are just as good if not better IMO.

Gilmer running backs are just as good if not better IMO.

LOL! I have seen Gilmer's backs and they're not bad. But none of them are as good as Ja'Quorius Smith.

Honestly not flaming on Gilmer's offense, that would be stupid. Kilgore plays a different, more physical style of football than ANYONE Carthage has played. That's what I was saying.

By the way, on Shepherd: I don't mean to knock him at all. He is a great looking athlete, has great speed, does a lot of things well, and Kilgore should get him the ball more. Just saying that he doesn't seem to have the best hands in football. For anybody that doesn't know his family background, all of his older brothers played football, but they are a baseball family. His dad, Ron, played for the Blue Jays back in the '80s and in the minors for quite a while, had a nice career. Shep is a great kid, not many better.

Gw offense is just as physical if not more then kilgore

Don't mean to be smart, but they weren't for three quarters.

If Kilgore doesn't gift wrap that fumble in the final three minutes, Gladewater goes down by two touchdowns, and should've went down by three. Fact.

And from what I understand didn't y'all change offences this year to more of a spread?

Yeah, not a fan, honestly. I think Kilgore didn't need to make that change.

No that's opinion fact is they were one play away from beating Kilgore

Yeah, I know... Did you not read my post? I said, if Kilgore hadn't gifted them a touchdown, with a fumble on a snap not far from Kilgore's goal line, Gladewater was DONE. Was there, watched that game, watched their body language, hands on hips. The game was over. Kilgore's mistakes got Gladewater back in the game.

You're right, they were one play away -- and shouldn't have been, and it was Kilgore that opened the door.

I know Carthage has gotten Kilgore three straight games. I'm worried about Kilgore's secondary in this one.

But the game hasn't been played just yet. And Gladewater ain't in it.

Yeah, I know... Did you not read my post? I said, if Kilgore hadn't gifted them a touchdown, with a fumble on a snap not far from Kilgore's goal line, Gladewater was DONE. Was there, watched that game, watched their body language, hands on hips. The game was over. Kilgore's mistakes got Gladewater back in the game.

You're right, they were one play away -- and shouldn't have been, and it was Kilgore that opened the door

I know Carthage has gotten Kilgore three straight games. I'm worried about Kilgore's secondary in this one.

But the game hasn't been played just yet. And Gladewater ain't in it.

You better be worried about more than just the secondary.

Yeah but.... Carthage doesn't care about non-district games. They were just working on the things they needed to work on..... getting ready to shift gears..... get ready for the storm.... yadah yadah yadah!

Ya I'm tired of hearing that too. I think Dawg fans have mixed up not caring about non-district games with the fact that historically in the Surratt era we have just vastly improved from the start of the season to the middle of district. I think it's just the fact that we aren't very good early in the season almost on a yearly basis, and get a lot better. Even some of the years we won championships we were terrible early in the season. 2010 after we got shelled by CH everybody in town was wondering if we would make the playoffs. We know how that turned out. Only year I remember us being good start to finish was 2013. Even that year our defense was suspect early in the year. But, unfortunately for Kilgore this is the 7th game of the year. If we are going to "change gears" it will be this week, or not at all. I'm going to say the Dawgs put everybody on notice this week. Shut down Kilgores run, and put up points with a balanced attack. Carthage win streak over Kilgore goes to 4 after this week.

Ya I'm tired of hearing that too. I think Dawg fans have mixed up not caring about non-district games with the fact that historically in the Surratt era we have just vastly improved from the start of the season to the middle of district. I think it's just the fact that we aren't very good early in the season almost on a yearly basis, and get a lot better. Even some of the years we won championships we were terrible early in the season. 2010 after we got shelled by CH everybody in town was wondering if we would make the playoffs. We know how that turned out. Only year I remember us being good start to finish was 2013. Even that year our defense was suspect early in the year. But, unfortunately for Kilgore this is the 7th game of the year. If we are going to "change gears" it will be this week, or not at all. I'm going to say the Dawgs put everybody on notice this week. Shut down Kilgores run, and put up points with a balanced attack. Carthage win streak over Kilgore goes to 4 after this week.

So who wins if Carthage shuts Kilgore's run gm down and Carthage's receivers go back to dropping passes until the (Henderson) gm who wins this gm now????

Apples and oranges.

Like your insight--ready to see it all play out!

So who wins if Carthage shuts Kilgore's run gm down and Carthage's receivers go back to dropping passes until the (Henderson) gm who wins this gm now????

If Kilgore shuts down Carthage passing attack or the Carthage receivers go back to dropping passes it will be too close to call. Might be lower scoring than the Gilmer Carthage game! I honestly don't see Kilgore putting up more than 21 points without some kind of passing game, but 21 might be enough to win. If Carthage doesn't give Kilgore short fields and can execute in the passing game I think it's going to be a long night for the K-Dawgs.