Cassel Set To Start Against Giants

Garrett has named Cassel starter after bye week. Does he give us a chance to get back into the division race or does he carry the offense like Weeden? Not sold on Cassel, but he has to be better than Weeden? Am I right or again wishful thinking?

He can't be worse than Weeden. I think the coaching staff is convinced that Weeden will lose to NY. Cassel has had some success in NFL too with NE. And signs are pointing that Dez might play as well. I don't know if it improves our chances, but it definitely doesn't worsen them.

I'm actually encouraged a bit after watching part of the All-22 film. The Cowboys got receivers open quite a bit, but couldn't get them the ball because Weeden can't get past his initial read (Weeden has always been a 1 read quarterback.) Cassel actually comes from a multi-read progression in college and immediately at the NFL level, so this should be an area he can be a big improvement.

I've seen many plays where Terrance Williams gets open. Devin Street possibly just had his best game that no one will ever know about (got wide open on several occasions, but Weeden didn't look at him or missed him completely), and although Beasley saw lots of double coverage, he was also open on several more occasions.

Also saw Escobar open many times, and when he wasn't he ran clearing routes that took up the safety, giving Weeden some good 1v1 throws to the outside that he never saw.

I'm going to try and find some Buffalo footage of Cassel (or possibly Vikings footage) and see If I can't confirm at least an improvement in this area, even if his arm probably doesn't compare favorably to Weeden's.

• Like 1

I'm actually encouraged a bit after watching part of the All-22 film. The Cowboys got receivers open quite a bit, but couldn't get them the ball because Weeden can't get past his initial read (Weeden has always been a 1 read quarterback.) Cassel actually comes from a multi-read progression in college and immediately at the NFL level, so this should be an area he can be a big improvement.

I've seen many plays where Terrance Williams gets open. Devin Street possibly just had his best game that no one will ever know about (got wide open on several occasions, but Weeden didn't look at him or missed him completely), and although Beasley saw lots of double coverage, he was also open on several more occasions.

Also saw Escobar open many times, and when he wasn't he ran clearing routes that took up the safety, giving Weeden some good 1v1 throws to the outside that he never saw.

I'm going to try and find some Buffalo footage of Cassel (or possibly Vikings footage) and see If I can't confirm at least an improvement in this area, even if his arm probably doesn't compare favorably to Weeden's.

That was one of my problems with Weeden. I think he is a very accurate passer. He is just too focused on his primary read. That seemed to be where he was breaking down was when his primary was covered. I still think it was their game plan to keep him on all the short passes for less risk.

I liked Cassel when he played and he seemed fairly accurate and a little mobile. If he is still mobile then that could be a saving grace with Dallas as well. I do not feel that Weeden was our problem with the offense. Not sure I would change. But on the other hand, maybe they can work things differently with him in there. I just hope Jason Garrett does not stay with Cassel too long if he is a bust early.

It does seem that we are getting better on defense. With last weeks sample of better things to come, I look forward to seeing them get ramped up.

I have watched cut ups of Matt Cassel throwing in 3 games from last year while he started for the Vikings - the first game is against St. Louis (in St. Louis), home vs. the Patriots, and vs. the Saints in New Orleans.

It is very clear that Matt Cassel can work through his reads and can release quickly. He can make accurate throws in the face of pressure or when he's about to take a big hit. He can slide effectively in the pocket to find a throwing lane. He seems to have the same scrambling ability as Weeden (although he appears to be a little more decisive about it.)

I could not ascertain whether Cassel was adept at changing line protections or changing to different plays.

Cassel is at his best leading his receivers open on short routes. As such, the Vikings ran lots of Dig routes with Patterson, Rudolph, and Asiata. Cassel likes to check down alot, but he won't stare at a checkdown and he can wait until the last second to make his throw if necessary. Cassel will take harder hits than Weeden because of this.

Cassel gets into trouble with his weak arm. To make longer passes, he has to sail the ball, and tends to throw short of his targets. Defenders often try to bait Cassel into these throws, and they can get interceptions doing it. Cassel doesn't always look off the safety.

Cassel can get in trouble getting his passes batted at the line, which is another cause of his interceptions.

Overall, I can see he'll be an improvement, and make better decisions and have a better time finding open receivers. On the downside, there will be little in the way of downfield passing that will be effective, so nothing Cassel can do will back off the 8 and 9 man fronts the Dallas offense is having to face. As I write this, Dez is doing on field conditioning, but Cassel has had no time throwing to him and developing a connection.

Weeden hasn't really looked that horrible, but when he has to throw it is where it has gone wrong... The first half of his first start he was like 13-15... the first half of his 2nd start he was like 9-12.... its the 2nd half where he seems to lose focus.

Cassel looks a million times better than Weeden.

In other news, how bad are the Texans. Damn!

O'Brien preaches to win the Patriots way...Two problems there

1. The Texans don't have a quarterback named Tom Brady

2. The Texans don't cheat like the Patriots

On another note, expect Mallett to get the boot soon. I know we don't have options behind Hoyer, but his stunt this weekend was a ticket out of Houston