Big Sandy State Championship Reunion ('73-'75)...(October 30th)

Smoaky

Smoaky,

I hope you are doing great and enjoying life!

Would you please help get the word out about the the 1975 Big Sandy state championship team, along with '73 and '74 teams being honored on October 30th at the Big Sandy football game against Hawkins.

Forty years since the last championship!

Thank you.

Gary Chalk

Wonder if lovie smith will be there?

IF HE IS......I would like to be there....played against that 75 team in State Finals....MY job was to "block" Lovie Smith (he was the MLB)....HAVE NOT TOUCHED HIM YET!!!!....well did shake his hand in 2006 at a coach's clinic in Dallas....THAT was a complete team...Chalk, Overstreet brothers, Smith...and you add the 74(?) Mitchell "kid"....man could he run the hurdles!!!!

IF HE IS......I would like to be there....played against that 75 team in State Finals....

Read an article in the paper years ago that claimed that Big Sandy fans started booing their team late in that game for not winning by enough. Also that they were selling bumper stickers in the parking lot celebrating their state championship ... before the game!

Read an article in the paper years ago that claimed that Big Sandy fans started booing their team late in that game for not winning by enough. Also that they were selling bumper stickers in the parking lot celebrating their state championship ... before the game!

http://amarillo.com/stories/2005/12/14/hss_3487166.shtml#.Vi2V3aSFNjo

I watched the Wildcats run over a decent Como-Pickton team that year. The CP RB(Darryl Simms) took a hand-off and ran toward the CP sidelines trying to make the corner and Lovie Smith meet him and drove him all the way to the fence where I was standing. I still get shivers down my spine thinking about how hard he hit him.

I don't care what teams you talk about the 73,74,75 Big Sandy team would run over any of them.

That 75 State Final game...they kick off to us...we drive down to their 2 and fumble.....we knew that BS liked to run toss sweep to Overstreet's brother's side (Tim)....we slanted to the hole and dropped Overstreet for a safety....1st time ALL year that BS was behind in a game....Stands were silent....I still haven't touched Lovie Smith.....Talked with Coach Norman in the 90's when he was the DC at Wills Point....told me that he usually would open the dressing room right after the game....BUT after the State Game he closed the doors and 1st checked on his players because of how physical the game was....remember it was 14-2 going into the 4th quarter...they got 2 touchdowns late to make it 28-2....WE ran out of gas.....we didn't have but 18 players on the whole team and most of us went both ways.....I was so tired after the game that the chicken fry at the Green Frog was NOT EATEN!!!!...THAT TEAM was a ONCE in a lifetime group.....they were BETTER THAN GOOD....