What's the most crazy/funny thing you've seen at a HS football game?

BigDave

I saw a kid run up to take the kickoff and whiff, but I guess the wind generated in the attempted caused the ball to fall off the tee. He picked it up and started to put it back on for another go at it but the ref ruled it down right there. Thought that was kind of amusing.

Years ago at the Cotton Bowl. High school playoff game in about 45-50 degree weather. A band was on the field at halftime performing and the automatic sprinklers came on and soaked the band.

Of course it was not funny to the band, the parents and a few others.

Saw a team attemp an onside kick. The kick gets about 7 yards with a weird spin and then takes a funnny bounce and ends 9 yards behind the line they kicked and goes out of bounds at the 31. Add 5 yards and receiving team gets ball defense 26 to start the drive.

Wasnt a game but a practice. We have a hill overlooking the practice field at Harmony. Anybody can drive up and watch. Well one fella decided he had enough watching and wanted to participate. He runs over to where the wideouts are running routes, hops in line barefooted and starts acting like Jerry Rice. Hooping and a hollering. I dont know how many of y'all know or remember Coach Jed Whitaker. He's a big man. When I tell you that man was moving, he was hauling to get that fella off his field. Long story short, stay off the meth kids.

If you've been to Quitman for a ballgame in the past 5 years or so, you've probably heard Jimmy-Anne yelling on the home side, BUT HAVE YOU SEEN HIM/HER?! Jimmy-Anne is near 6'3'' and around 280 with a long blonde wig and high heels on occasion. Rumor has it that he/she played ball at Southlake Carroll and even coached some on the high school level. He/she is always yelling, "Where's my linebackers?" "You've gotta block if you wanna win!" and "I hope we brought our track shoes!" A few games ago, Jimmy-Anne wore a shirt that had the records of the past 3 seasons on the back (2-8, 2-8, 0-10), and he/she claims to be supportive. Jimmy-Anne also rings a cowbell like nobody's business, and 1 thing that Quitman could definitely use less these days is "more cowbell."

About 7 or 8 years ago (maybe longer) a student from Van ran streaking through the Canton bands performance. Most of us were stunned and it took a few seconds to realize what exactly was happening. Officer and principal chased him for awhile and finally caught up with him. He had on socks and a sock hat where you could see only his eyes and mouth. Made Van proud that day.

I once saw a punt just before halftime that didn't make it to the line of scrimmage (a replay shows it crossed, but...the ref didn't see it that way), a player from the punting team picked up the ball and ran it about 65 yards for a TD. The defense had already given up on the play, and before they realized the whistle hadn't blown it was too late. Crazy play.

I never knew the punting team could advance a punt..., and apparently our players didn't either.

About 7 or 8 years ago (maybe longer) a student from Van ran streaking through the Canton bands performance. Most of us were stunned and it took a few seconds to realize what exactly was happening. Officer and principal chased him for awhile and finally caught up with him. He had on socks and a sock hat where you could see only his eyes and mouth. Made Van proud that day.

Don't look, Ethel!

I once saw a punt just before halftime that didn't make it to the line of scrimmage (a replay shows it crossed, but...the ref didn't see it that way), a player from the punting team picked up the ball and ran it about 65 yards for a TD. The defense had already given up on the play, and before they realized the whistle hadn't blown it was too late. Crazy play.

How about that field goal in that college game that was blown back into the field of play? At least I think it was a college game...

Don't look, Ethel!

Here he comes, boogie-dy, boogie-dy

There he goes, boogie-dy, boogie-dy

And he ain't wearin' no clothes

Oh yes, they call him the streak

Fastest thing on two feet

He's just as proud as he can be

Of his anatomy

He's gonna give us a peek

Oh yes, they call him the streak

He likes to show off his physique

If there's an audience to be found

He'll be streakin' around

Invitin' public critique...

If you've been to Quitman for a ballgame in the past 5 years or so, you've probably heard Jimmy-Anne yelling on the home side, BUT HAVE YOU SEEN HIM/HER?! Jimmy-Anne is near 6'3'' and around 280 with a long blonde wig and high heels on occasion. Rumor has it that he/she played ball at Southlake Carroll and even coached some on the high school level. He/she is always yelling, "Where's my linebackers?" "You've gotta block if you wanna win!" and "I hope we brought our track shoes!" A few games ago, Jimmy-Anne wore a shirt that had the records of the past 3 seasons on the back (2-8, 2-8, 0-10), and he/she claims to be supportive. Jimmy-Anne also rings a cowbell like nobody's business, and 1 thing that Quitman could definitely use less these days is "more cowbell."

That is the most awesome thing I have ever heard. Wish it was earlier in the season because THAT is worth a trip to Quitman to see even if they are 0-10.

I also saw a phenomenal play many years ago. A running back for Gladewater named Delmonico Montgomery broke through the line of scrimmage with nobody near him. It looked like a for sure 60 yard + touchdown, when a Gilmer corner named Red Jones came from his corner position about 20 yards away ran him down from behind, took the ball away from him just inside the 10-yard line, and ran it back almost to midfield. To this day, I've never seen a faster player on a high school field than Red. I just wish his son, who plays for the Buckeyes now was as fast as his dad was. :o

Who was playing I can't remember if that's where it was or not?

It was this year. Navarro and kilgore college. Navarro was attempting an extra point. KC blocked it, recovered the ball and started running with it. He got into a pile up and then fumbled and the ball rolled back into the endzone and then out of bounds. After a long discussion between the refs, they ruled a 1 point safety.