Heisman Race

BillSimmons

Explain why the guy who rushed for more yards in a season than Herschel Walker while carrying his team to the playoffs shouldn't win it.

That's the thing even though it's suppose to go to "the best player which is Henry IMO" the voters definitely look at the teams success. That being said with Bama being in the playoffs helps Henry a lot.

Explain why the guy who rushed for more yards in a season than Herschel Walker while carrying his team to the playoffs shouldn't win it.

Because the other guy broke Barry Sanders single season all-Purpose yards record and carried a talent depleted Stanford team to a Pac-12 title

I wouldn't say system, but the Bama RBs clearly benefit from huge OLs...

How does Henry's yard-per-rush average stand next to other RBs? Yeah, he has a lot of yards, but he also carries the ball 40 times a game. I understand that's an accomplishment in itself, but I bet Samaje Perine would have some crazy yardage if he averaged 30+ totes a game.

How does Henry's yard-per-rush average stand next to other RBs? Yeah, he has a lot of yards, but he also carries the ball 40 times a game. I understand that's an accomplishment in itself, but I bet Samaje Perine would have some crazy yardage if he averaged 30+ totes a game.

BAMA usually prefers a two RB system. The RB position was seriously depleted this year due to two up-and-comers being dismissed from the team. Bo Scarborough looks every bit as imposing as Henry, but he suffered a knee injury in spring practice and wasn't ready until the Georgia game. The injury kept him from getting enough reps in practice to be effective. Damien Harris doesn't have the "ready-for-the-big-time" look that Trent Richardson and TJ Yeldon had as true freshmen. Kenyan Drake was injured vs. Mississippi State and is still not ready for a full workload. He did get some meaningful carries vs. Florida, but Henry is the workhorse. That is why he's gotten so many carries the last two weeks. It was out of necessity. If carrying the ball 90 times for 450+ yards over two weeks in the biggest rival game in college football and the SEC Championship Game doesn't say "Heisman moment", I don't know what does. You can like whoever you want for the award, and Watson, Mayfield, and McCaffrey have all had great years, but Derrick Henry deserves it.

How many rushing and receiving yards does McCaffrey have this year? It's not even close. Sanders did not return kicks.

It doesn't matter who had the most rushing yards compared to kickoff returns or even passing and receiving yards. The record McCaffrey broke of Sander's was all purpose yards which includes everything, so someone saying Sanders had 3000 rushing yards is not an argument as to which player is better or which accomplishment means more. Bottom line if McCaffrey played in the SEC or Big10 he would get more respect from voters.

It doesn't matter who had the most rushing yards compared to kickoff returns or even passing and receiving yards. The record McCaffrey broke of Sander's was all purpose yards which includes everything, so someone saying Sanders had 3000 rushing yards is not an argument as to which player is better or which accomplishment means more. Bottom line if McCaffrey played in the SEC or Big10 he would get more respect from voters.

Most of the voters are in bed when Stanford is playing.

Most of the voters are in bed when Stanford is playing.

Very regionally based too. The only reason Baker will probably get an invite is because his school is in Oklahoma. Watson and Henry will steal votes from each other. Stanford RB has a good shot though. I don't think Cook get the invite.

We should know who is going to NY in a few hours. My guess is Henry, Watson, McCaffery and Mayfield. I think the voting will finish in that order as well. Cook might get the invite, but he's competing regionally with Watson and Henry.

Very regionally based too. The only reason Baker will probably get an invite is because his school is in Oklahoma. Watson and Henry will steal votes from each other. Stanford RB has a good shot though. I don't think Cook get the invite.

We should know who is going to NY in a few hours. My guess is Henry, Watson, McCaffery and Mayfield. I think the voting will finish in that order as well. Cook might get the invite, but he's competing regionally with Watson and Henry.

Mayfield deserves to be there. But Henry & McCaffery is the real debate. Its a trophy in itself to be there if you are kinda top 4 or top 5 but not top 2. I'd rather know i'd be 4th or 5th and have fun in NY than be a close 2nd place and be upset the rest of my life.

Christian McCaffrey is most deserving this year. And it shouldn't even be a debate.

I totally agree... without him this year Stanford would be average, at best. I just wanted Mayfield to at least be invited.

I totally agree... without him this year Stanford would be average, at best. I just wanted Mayfield to at least be invited.

And in addition to how much he meant to his team, he also broke Barry Sanders single season record for most all purpose yards in a season!

And in addition to how much he meant to his team, he also broke Barry Sanders single season record for most all purpose yards in a season!

True... generally I'm not a big stats guy, but the specifics about those stats and how he got them says a lot. Give it to the kid.

Alabama could just plug another RB into the offense and keep rolling, not so with Stanford. McCaffrey is much more valuable to his team than Henry. McCaffrey should win it ....

I'm with you here. I don't want to take anything away from Henry, he's a beast to be sure, but his selling point is running the ball a lot of times without getting injured or fumbling. Laudable, yes, but not fundamentally different than a QB who throws for 5,000 yards in a pass-every-down system.

Alabama could just plug another RB into the offense and keep rolling, not so with Stanford. McCaffrey is much more valuable to his team than Henry. McCaffrey should win it ....

Henry has been special. He's carried that team. The number of carries he's had this year is ridiculous. McCaffrey is my vote by just by a hair. Both are deserving.

Henry vs McCaffrey

Henry- 339 rushes for 1,986 yards(5.9 avg) & 23 TDs & 4 fumbles

10 catches for 97 yards.

McCaffrey- 319 rushes for 1,847 yrds(5.8 avg) & 8 TDs & 2 fumbles

41 catches for 540 yards & 4 TDs

Punt Ret. 14 for 67 yrds

Kickoff ret. 36 for 1,042 yards & 1 TD

Biggest stat in Henry's favor is his 23 TDs compared to McCaffrey's 13. Although we should add that McCaffrey also threw for 2 TDs. Also Stanford uses Wright as the goal line back which cuts down on McCaffreys TDs. Wright had 13 for the year.

In my opinion there isn't even a doubt that McCaffrey should win!