Heisman Race

BillSimmons

Landry is nothing like Baker...

Agree with everything said here, but I would add one more thing... Landry Jones seldom *won* games for OU. Don't get me wrong, he had plenty of highlights (and his stats speak for themselves) but I don't remember a game situation where he transcended his level of play to lift the team to victory in the face of defeat. Landry always just seemed like a cog (a valuable cog, mind you) in the machine. When the O was clicking, Landry was a golden god. But under heavy adversity, he was all too human. Baker Mayfield seems to thrive on challenge.
Mayfield is completely unlike anything we've had at QB in years... possibly since Heupel, or even further back. He seems to just *will* plays to happen. There are so many plays where the has-been ex-QB in me will see the coverage before the snap and think, "Hmm, better not throw it to so-and-so, he's got double coverage." And dang if he doesn't throw it right to that guy in the absolute perfect spot for a 20-yard completion! Baker makes the entire offense better, which in turn makes the defense better, and thus the team.
Though this may raise some eyebrows with other OU fans, I think *right now* Baker is better than past Heisman winners Sam Bradford and Jason White. He has as good if not better mobility than pre-knee injuries White, and equal ability to make the clutch pass as Bradford did.
Baker's been dreaming of playing at OU since he's a kid, I doubt he has any intention of leaving college any sooner than he has to. Shoot, I bet he'd like to get back the elgibility lost last year for two more seasons with the Sooners.

My money is still on McCaffrey. I know he's a long shot but with his numbers and worth to Stanford he has to be in the running.

I concur... I don't know why this kid isn't a bigger deal. Short of Mayfield, I can't think of anyone who means more to their team's success.

Agree with everything said here, but I would add one more thing... Landry Jones seldom *won* games for OU. Don't get me wrong, he had plenty of highlights (and his stats speak for themselves) but I don't remember a game situation where he transcended his level of play to lift the team to victory in the face of defeat. Landry always just seemed like a cog (a valuable cog, mind you) in the machine. When the O was clicking, Landry was a golden god. But under heavy adversity, he was all too human. Baker Mayfield seems to thrive on challenge.

Mayfield is completely unlike anything we've had at QB in years... possibly since Heupel, or even further back. He seems to just *will* plays to happen. There are so many plays where the has-been ex-QB in me will see the coverage before the snap and think, "Hmm, better not throw it to so-and-so, he's got double coverage." And dang if he doesn't throw it right to that guy in the absolute perfect spot for a 20-yard completion! Baker makes the entire offense better, which in turn makes the defense better, and thus the team.

Though this may raise some eyebrows with other OU fans, I think *right now* Baker is better than past Heisman winners Sam Bradford and Jason White. He has as good if not better mobility than pre-knee injuries White, and equal ability to make the clutch pass as Bradford did.

Baker's been dreaming of playing at OU since he's a kid, I doubt he has any intention of leaving college any sooner than he has to. Shoot, I bet he'd like to get back the elgibility lost last year for two more seasons with the Sooners.

I concur... I don't know why this kid isn't a bigger deal. Short of Mayfield, I can't think of anyone who means more to their team's success.

I'm not ready to declare Mayfield better than Bradford or White.

When those two were the quarterback I expected to score every drive. I can't say that about Baker. The teams around White and Bradford were more talented too thoughz

I'm not ready to declare Mayfield better than Bradford or White.

When those two were the quarterback I expected to score every drive. I can't say that about Baker. The teams around White and Bradford were more talented too thoughz

Yeah, I'm initially hesitant until I consider the talent those guys had around them, especially the defense during White's tenure.

I'm glad he didn't get hurt with his garbage time carries.

I don't consider putting the game in the hands of the guy who put you in position for a championship to protect a 9 point lead "garbage time". He's carried them all year, and the two backups are unproven freshmen. They were making sure they won the game.

I don't consider putting the game in the hands of the guy who put you in position for a championship to protect a 9 point lead "garbage time". He's carried them all year, and the two backups are unproven freshmen. They were making sure they won the game.

Getting the ball with two minutes left and the other team having no time outs is garbage time.

I just don't see how we can give a Heisman for this

295 attempts, 1797 yards, 22 touchdowns, and 6.1 YPC

When this didn't win a Heisman

343 attempts, 2587 yards, 29 touchdowns, and 7.5 YPC

Was the second one this year? That's what matters. I'm not big on individual awards, but out of players this year, Derrick Henry wins it, hands down.