Future of East Texas 5A

Mavchamp

Not that UIL considers historical rivalries into their decisions during realignment.....

Lufkin and Texas High have nearly 40 years as district rivals from the early 50s to the late 80s.

So it's not unheard of for them to be paired together.

Not to mention....... Nac has a good 20-30 years of history with Texas high too.

You are correct!!! but wasn't that also when they were all in 5a together. Now there are options closer to each of those schools without adding the extra expenses.

I know UIL doesn't care about travel(see Ennis to Lufkin) or even Tyler Lee driving through mesquite to play district games in garland.

I love this time of the year as we get to all debate what we "think" will happen. When actually at then end of the idea we actually have no clue what the UIL will do(sometimes I wonder if they know what they are going to do.)

I think it's very plausible that LP and Nac go South to Houston, but not likely. We need 2 districts in East Texas for 5A. Shipping 2 of them out makes that difficult.

Drop the DFW schools: Greenville, Corsicana, and Ennis.

JT and Longview are gone to 6A.

That leaves 11 of us in East Texas 5A.

It makes no sense to ship LP and Nac off. I don't think they stack everyone into one 9 team district.

Leave us at 11. Then they cherry pick one team to make 2 six team districts. Corsicana being most likely. Or Greenville. Depends if they go to a north/south or East/west alignment.

Just wait until 2018 when some of the current 4As come knocking on the door of 5A. Like Chapel Hill. Kilgore. Others.....

I think it's very plausible that LP and Nac go South to Houston, but not likely.

Just wait until 2018 when some of the current 4As come knocking on the door of 5A. Like Chapel Hill. Kilgore. Others.....

it will be interesting to see what happens going forward with the teams just outside of 5a. I am curious what the UIL does as the talk picks up about splitting all classifications into div 1&2. The top of 6a is flipping big!

it will be interesting to see what happens going forward with the teams just outside of 5a. I am curious what the UIL does as the talk picks up about splitting all classifications into div 1&2. The top of 6a is flipping big!

A split 5A is a matter of time IMHO.

I'm willing to bet it happens on the next alignment.

Texas High has an automatic slot for Arkansas. If you are separated from MP, you have 2 games. I would think surely the Tigers could get 2 more games. LE? El Dorado? Benton? Lake Hamilton?

Marshall had a quick series with Fort Smith in the late 90's. They were an outstanding program back then. No idea if they still are now.

Just fun stuff to think about.

The issue with T-High is geographic. When we have been in six team districts, it has left 5 games to fill. We have had to schedule games on neutral sites (Waxahachie & Vidor) & travel long distances to find games. At least twice in recent years, the Tigers had 9 games. DFW teams will not travel. Some of the Arkansas schools will not play Texas schools due to the rule differences.

I guess we could relocate the city.

• Like 1

I'm not sure why the idea of Texas High going South is even being brought up. Texas High is tied to Mount Pleasant, who is tied to Sulphur Springs, who is tied to Greenville. Greenville is tied to Royce City if they change.

Then, you just split up the Longview area, add Marshall,and maybe Lindale. I will say if the Longview teams are all north, Lindale goes South.

You end up with something like this:

Lindale(?)

Hallsville

Pine Tree

Mount Pleasant

Greenville

Royce City

Texas High

Sulphur Springs

Marshall

The issue with T-High is geographic. When we have been in six team districts, it has left 5 games to fill. We have had to schedule games on neutral sites (Waxahachie & Vidor) & travel long distances to find games. At least twice in recent years, the Tigers had 9 games. DFW teams will not travel. Some of the Arkansas schools will not play Texas schools due to the rule differences.

Marshall has had similar problems. No one in DFW wants to come out here.

Houston is out of the question.

Everyone is East Texas is either too small..... or there is a chance of playing them in the playoffs

That's why we always had our schedule dotted with inferior Shreveport schools (Huntington, Southwood)

Or jumped at the BOB

Or ended up driving all the way to Monroe or Benton, Arkansas for games.

Even went to Houston to play Cy Woods in 06.

So I Understand where Texarkana is coming from with scheduling woes. We've had similar problems in here..... but we are "lucky" being closer to shreveport. We can usually pull some games out of that area if needed.

Only sure thing for Texas High is that we are linked with Mt Pleasant.

I concur with Border. If we are in anything but an 8 team district we are back to 9 game seasons or traveling forever to play whoever else can't find a game. I'd hate to lose the Marshall games because it is really one of the few I REALLY enjoy. And that has nothing to do with our recent success against them

I like the Texas High fans on here and can definitely understand what they're saying about not being able to find teams to play. Lufkin obviously has that trouble at times too, considering we're in the middle of nowhere. It's just the travel situation. We'll potentially have the same problem that we had with Ennis, when you factor in the distance and the time to get there and back. It's basically a three hour trip from Lufkin to Texarkana, just like Ennis. I don't even want to think about Mp and SS. There would be too many teams in one district too. I'm not sure there will be two East Texas districts next season either. I heard there may be a new district in West Texas, because of the amount of teams dropping down over there. I honestly think SS, MP and T-high are going to a DFW district and the same with Ennis. I'm not sure about Corsi.

I can live with the Tx High, Mt Pleasant, Sulphur, Greenville, Royse City, Rockwall trek because I realize the geography issues. Just loses the East Texas feel to me if you go past Sulphur Springs.

But I wouldn't mind kicking some Panther tail every year either :lol:

I can live with the Tx High, Mt Pleasant, Sulphur, Greenville, Royse City, Rockwall trek because I realize the geography issues. Just loses the East Texas feel to me if you go past Sulphur Springs.

But I wouldn't mind kicking some Panther tail every year either :lol:

Well...if Hallsville win next week, you'll get your chance.

We mudstomp every other feline in the area. We just have an aversion to mangy, flee-bitten, howling packs of wolves

I call em Mutts. Seriously, what the heck is a lobo?? As for the first part, we're not "every other feline", better ask somebody.......that we haven't played in the first round.

Louisiana and Oklahoma right down the road they can find games, I don't think Norton is up for the challenge now a days, when they were Elite he wanted to play the Evangels, Bentonvilles and others now ..... As far as the District goes idk lol

Marshall has had similar problems. No one in DFW wants to come out here.

Houston is out of the question.

Everyone is East Texas is either too small..... or there is a chance of playing them in the playoffs

That's why we always had our schedule dotted with inferior Shreveport schools (Huntington, Southwood)

Or jumped at the BOB

Or ended up driving all the way to Monroe or Benton, Arkansas for games.

Even went to Houston to play Cy Woods in 06.

So I Understand where Texarkana is coming from with scheduling woes. We've had similar problems in here..... but we are "lucky" being closer to shreveport. We can usually pull some games out of that area if needed.

Y'all need to learn how to schedule neutral site games.

That series against Abilene was one of the most fun non district series we've had recently, and both were played at neutral field sites (one year was closer to us, other was bit closer to them).

Here is my north/south - north district.

Rockwell, Rockwall Heath, Royce City, Greenville, Sulphur Springs, Mt pleasant, T-High. Every school on I-30, which would make travel safer.

Only problem with this is Rockwall and Rockwall Heath have both turned in 6A numbers...

Greenville is usually tied to DFW, SS - MP - TH have been tied together for many years.

Marshall - Hallsville - PT will be together

So the question becomes will there be enough schools opt up or move across the state to drop SS or Greenville down? Both were in the bottom 15 of all 5A schools after all the opting up and shuffling last time.

With 14 new schools and the normal 5A - 6A movement you never know if enough of those schools go 5A to cause the number to climb to over 1180? Would be a HUGE jump, but we are talking about the UIL so who knows what may happen!! I do know that at least 2 of the new schools are bigger than 1200 enrollment.

It may come down to Frisco ISD, FW ISD & Dallas ISD do they opt their schools up to keep them together or do enough of their schools drop so they can keep them together and in a relatively close district??

The next 26 days will be FUN!!!

Yeah, that was me. I've got a guy working on finding the exact number. We've closed our transfer window due to improved test results/better grades and have taken in kids from the forcibly shuttered Phoenix Charter School. But from what I've gathered, it's in the 1200 ballpark.