Standardized Testing: The Monster that ate American Education

RETIREDFAN1

I don't think standardized testing is the problem. The only problem it creates is stress on the teachers by setting quotas on how many students can't fail. As the old a saying goes you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink. The same applies to students. If they don't want to learn the material that's not the teachers fault. We had various tests back in the day, and usually the material was taught. If a student is too stupid to apply themselves to learning then they deserve to fail. It can't be blamed on the teacher.

The standardized test we took were so simple I fear for the individuals that struggled to pass them. I was in the first class to take the TAKS, and they acted like it would be some huge jump from TAAS and that they were going to have record setting numbers of kids fail it. You should be required to wear a helmet if you cannot pass those exams.

The standardized test we took were so simple I fear for the individuals that struggled to pass them. I was in the first class to take the TAKS, and they acted like it would be some huge jump from TAAS and that they were going to have record setting numbers of kids fail it. You should be required to wear a helmet if you cannot pass those exams.

I agree. They need to be in special ed if they can't pass them. I can't say the same for Common Core math tests, because the answers you have to give do make sense, but it defeats the purpose in my opinion.

Teaching a kid how to pass a standardized test teaches them NOTHING that they need to survive in the real world......I didn't figure any non-teacher would get it........

+++++++++++++

Teaching a kid how to pass a standardized test teaches them NOTHING that they need to survive in the real world......I didn't figure any non-teacher would get it........

I haven't teaches but totally understand it...

Then again, I've been a GM twice so nevermind .

So that's not taken in account learning disabilities, merits of the test itself and the biggest reason the why?

Standardized testing is an operant conditioning method in which we train tomorrow's leaders the wrong way to process data.