H3llR4z0r

Gilmer (10-0) vs Pleasant Grove (6-4)  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Who makes it to the next round?

• Pleasant Grove in a blowout.
    • Pleasant Grove in a close one.
    • Gilmer in a close one.
    • Gilmer in a blowout.

I only remember 3 turnovers, but I'm pretty sure the stats say 4 turnovers for PG. That's still a +3, not to mention Gilmer's turnovers: one being a pick six, one returned down to 2-yard line, and one returned down to the 12. Y'all lived in our territory most of the game because of turnovers. We only had to punt once? Turnovers were the only thing that stopped us in this game.

Here you go.

PG GIL

First Downs 10 21

Total Yards 201 445

Rushes-Yards 47-147 27-146

Passing Yards 54 299

Comp.-Att.-Int. 5-12-3 14-25-4

Punts-Avg. 6-34.8 2-29.0

Fumbles-Lost 3-1 3-3

Penalties-Yards 4-40 7-50

Okay..., we punted twice, ergo, the question mark. This game "would've" been pretty lopsided if we hadn't have had so many turnovers. It is what it is, however. No excuses. We won, even with 7 turnovers, which is something I've never seen a team overcome in my life that I can remember. That says a lot about the heart of this Buckeye team.

PG 46 rushes for 71 yards. That's the real reason Gilmer won the game.

up 36-21, if PG can move the ball, ground out some yards, and eat clock, they beat Gilmer. But they couldn't move the ball a lick in the 4th quarter.

Going back to the beginning of this post, the conventional wisdom was PG's offense would be able to move the ball, but their defense couldn't stop Gilmer. The opposite was actually true. PG's defense created they turnovers that gave them a chance to win, but the offense couldn't run the football effectively against Gilmer's D.

Which is another interesting point. Some posters are on her talking about how Gilmer's coaches have taken their best players off the defense to put them on offense. That strategy didn't seem to hurt the defense in this game.

• Like 1

Even still. With 3:00 to go in the 4th, PG is up 36-34. PG returns the ball all the way to the Gilmer 46, gets a PF, moves the ball up to the Gilmer 31. PG has the ball on the Gilmer 31, 3:00 left in the 4th. PG runs twice for -2 yards, then tries to do a halfback pass on 3rd down that gets intercepted.

That being said, the QB was wide open on the halfback pass, if the halfback had a halfway decent arm. After he lobbed it up and the ball finally made it's way somewhat near the QB (about 4 yards short of him) the Gilmer guy was already there to make a play.

Hard to say what the playcalling should have been. All we can say is what could have been.

Really just goes to show you how mentally tough Gilmer is. After turning the ball over 7 times ( yes they got 4 takeaways as well ) and giving up that long kickoff return, PLUS a personal foul, giving PG game winning field position and ALL the momentum, they still manage to completely stuff PG and make a huge stop. It was a really good ball game to attend.

i was reading the gladewheater trend after they loss and they were fighting amoung themselves and i got a big laugh....then i see buckeyes fiting amoung themself after a win....if we get beat in the playoffs we will be the laughing stock of smoaky.com

Kinda that way already. This is like watching Friday Night Lights!

Oh wow. Gilmer kicked their tails. Everywhere but scoreboard

Yep, and that is what turnovers do for you. PG's turnovers didn't affect them like ours did us. We lost four int's, and all three of our fumbles. They lost 3 ints, but only one of 3 fumbles. That still puts them +3 in the turnover column. Three + turnovers for the other team usually cost you a game. They had most of our turnovers early,, and got old Mo behind them, with short fields, and took advantage of them,, we got turnovers late in the game, none bigger than Kollin Hurts two picks. Speaking of Kollin,,, he had an amazing night,, one huge long pass reception that I "think" was on a much needed 3rd down. and the two picks, plus I don't have the numbers, but he made a bunch of tackles. That kid plays huge every single week, and doesn't get the attention that I think he deserves. He is smart,, very football smart,, and plays up to his abilities every time he get's on the field. I'd love about three more picks from him this week.

1. You don't luck out and win State. You earn that

2. Barry Switzer won some National Championships before that Super Bowl. He may be a d-bag but he could coach

3. Coach Turner was Traylor's mentor. He will be fine. Only in Gilmer would a "tatorhead" complain about being 11-0. UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Actually saying Switzer is a good coach in the NFL is like saying Gruden led the Buccaneers to a Super Bowl. Cmon man. Johnson built those Cowboys and would have won that Super Bowl too. Hes the reason they got real bad in 96-97.