H3llR4z0r

Gilmer (10-0) vs Pleasant Grove (6-4)  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Who makes it to the next round?

• Pleasant Grove in a blowout.
    • Pleasant Grove in a close one.
    • Gilmer in a close one.
    • Gilmer in a blowout.

I used to play for gilmer recently. And when I got out I stayed involved with the team. I can say that under coach traylor, if a coach would've said something like the pg coach said, we would've used it. Maybe not consistently harp on it, but we would've posted it on the wall. Maybe even tape a paper with that quote on every locker. The players would talk about it, and the coach would speak of it in the before game speech. Our fire was always the program and to win, but it definitely never hurt to have a coach or opposing player say something we could get fired up over. Is this still the same under coach turner? Most likely. Coach Turner was actually coach traylor's mentor for a lot of things. Would gilmer bring the fire without the comment? Heck yeah, that streak drives them, but it doesnt hurt that they can get behind what that coach said

• Like 1

I'd still like to know how Gilmer has managed to have just the right number of students to stay in small school every year; maybe somebody's afraid of Navasota? But if they squeeze by with more wins, they will eventually face Celina & that's my prediction for this year's State Champion. Truth be told, they (Gilmer) are not the same team as in years past, they got lucky against LE & Bullard. I'm also picking Navasota n the other division.

We have all been anxiously waiting on your opinion! Thank you Finally. Thank you thank you

My prediction is gilmer by quite a bit. These kids are better than they've been playing. And they play way better in the spotlight compared to a team they don't really believe will be an issue. They've been to state before and won. They know how to use that second gear. Gilmer is going to put it down, and hey, even if I'm wrong, if it's close trust me it's not gonna be pg winning either way

I used to play for gilmer recently. And when I got out I stayed involved with the team. I can say that under coach traylor, if a coach would've said something like the pg coach said, we would've used it. Maybe not consistently harp on it, but we would've posted it on the wall. Maybe even tape a paper with that quote on every locker. The players would talk about it, and the coach would speak of it in the before game speech. Our fire was always the program and to win, but it definitely never hurt to have a coach or opposing player say something we could get fired up over. Is this still the same under coach turner? Most likely. Coach Turner was actually coach traylor's mentor for a lot of things. Would gilmer bring the fire without the comment? Heck yeah, that streak drives them, but it doesnt hurt that they can get behind what that coach said

Bam!!

And on the population thing. Gilmer is a small town. I mean we have a kid or two move in every now and then, but just as many move away. It's a small town and the amount of kids isn't really growing. We don't really have move ins just to play football either. I mean we turn down people like that quite a bit. Gilmer isn't into that kind of stuff. Our teams are already good. Having one person move in doesn't make the team. The team is already there. I remember losing several athletic superstars just because they couldn't get their head on straight. The success of the program should be attributed to the program alone. And the day we have enough to be d-1, they'll move us up. There's no funny business lol

And on the population thing. Gilmer is a small town. I mean we have a kid or two move in every now and then, but just as many move away. It's a small town and the amount of kids isn't really growing. We don't really have move ins just to play football either. I mean we turn down people like that quite a bit. Gilmer isn't into that kind of stuff. Our teams are already good. Having one person move in doesn't make the team. The team is already there. I remember losing several athletic superstars just because they couldn't get their head on straight. The success of the program should be attributed to the program alone. And the day we have enough to be d-1, they'll move us up. There's no funny business lol

Dang it.... Now it's 1-1. Disagree with this statement 100%

Don't you think we'd have a better qb than the one we have this year? Lol trust me on this, we don't recruit. That mclane Carter kid? I knew him since he first moved to gilmer in fifth grade. He left for one year and then moved back in with his dad. He was gone for a single year and people accused us of recruiting. Our entire team is made up of people we've had for a while. All our stars are the people we've grown in the program. Blake lynch? His stepfather and mother live in gilmer. His stepfather coached here. He moved because of that. I wish we did recruit, I wouldn't have to look away every time I see that qb throw another a mile away off target -_-

Don't you think we'd have a better qb than the one we have this year? Lol trust me on this, we don't recruit. That mclane Carter kid? I knew him since he first moved to gilmer in fifth grade. He left for one year and then moved back in with his dad. He was gone for a single year and people accused us of recruiting. Our entire team is made up of people we've had for a while. All our stars are the people we've grown in the program. Blake lynch? His stepfather and mother live in gilmer. His stepfather coached here. He moved because of that. I wish we did recruit, I wouldn't have to look away every time I see that qb throw another a mile away off target -_-

Ok ok thanks

Snowbird and a few of his buddies on here will argue with you that Gilmers qb is an elite qb and is one of the best around.
  • Like 1

Gilmer is a small town of less than 5,000 people, many of them elderly. You see them on these threads every day. The most it has EVER had in its high school was less than 720, IIRC. Once, in 1996-97, the Buckeyes went up to what is now 5A as the smallest school in that classification. That was when we are at our all-time peak in enrollment.

The only reason GHS is not down there at about the enrollment of Gladewater and Atlanta (both towns are SIGNIFICANTLY larger than Gilmer) is that the district covers more than one third of the territory of Upshur County. But it's not really a growing area and I don't think the school has to strategize to remain where it is in enrollment. I'll be surprised if it even stays up there near 700 in coming years.

Atlanta is not significantly larger than Gilmer. We have 500 more people in our town. There are also 5 different school districts within a 13 mile radius of Atlanta (one literally up against Atlanta)