7-4A (3) Princeton 7-3(3-2) vs. 8-4A (2) Athens 7-3(4-1)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen Princeton this year, but I saw them in the playoffs last year. Based on that and available stats, both teams are sort of blue-collarish (and I mean that in a good and respectful way) who work to minimize mistakes, avoid lost yardage, and control the LOS on offense with a downhill attack.

Athens: Points per game - scoring 33.8 while giving up 23.0 per game

Princeton: Points per game - scoring 38.9 while giving up 29.7 per game

Common Opponent: CRANDALL\

Game 4 versus Princeton: Princeton 49-39

Game 9 versus Athens: Athens 35-12

By in large, it was probably play out to be the FULLER and FLORES show through the trenches:

LOGAN FULLER, Athens ….. 249 carries for 1803 yards (7.24 per carry and 180 yards per game) and 24 Tds

GEORGE FLORES, Princeton …. 240 carries for 1430 yards (5.96 per carry ad 143 yards per game) and 13 TDs

Athens was five points from being 9-1 or 8 points away from being 6-4, depending on how you wish to examine it … Defensively they are decent, but they don't have near the defense they had last year … but IMO they are probably just an Inside LBer and an Def End away from being solid on that side of the ball. The secondary can run well and also supports well; and that may have to come in handy versus Princeton's efficient passing game.

In the end, I think Fuller and Flores will each get their shares of carries and yardage … if you rule out turnovers (which is always a concern in any game), from then on the outcome may well be based on who get more big plays out of the rest of the offense: Athens with their speedy Reverse and Inside Counter Game vs Princeton's passing attack.

Should be a good game to watch … and you maybe be home earlier than normal unless the defenses find a way to slow down each others inside running attack. Both teams have the potential to keep the clock running ... and steadily.

I think 7 either way or in between is a sound prediction ... leaning toward Athens, but I'm not sure how good P's passing attack is ... I know they spread it around rather than concentrate on one - could be problematic for a team that really has one cover corner ... will be a good game ....

I don't think Princeton's passing game is as good as what some of y'all think, at least when it is averaged out on the season. I don't describe it as efficient this year or last year. I think the most often run play at least early in the season was the false start.

Passing probably worked well against teams who don't defend the pass well. The counter I've seen to Princeton's passing game doing well is to start running right through the Princeton defense.

Princeton can be doing well in a game with strategy and play calling and then something happens and the OC starts calling bad plays. Play after play I know where he is going with his strategy.

I think that happened at LE (I was listening to 4 games on the radio and watching 1 on TV so my concentration was broken up a lot). I think Princeton tried to grind it out in the first half keeping the game closer and then in the second half tried to pass more and threw interceptions. That doesn't seem too smart. Princeton also needs a great FG kicker too.

Princeton is just an average good team and that's with an enrollment advantage.

I sound so mean!

Go Panthers!

I too like Princeton's Senior QB Collins and Senior RB Flores. I like the idea of the balanced offense and their ability to spread the ball around on passes. They have some senior leadership on this team, and that factor can weigh heavily in a close matchup like this one. I believe the Panthers will find a way to win this game late in the 4th. It should be a very close game.

I don't think Princeton's passing game is as good as what some of y'all think, at least when it is averaged out on the season. I don't describe it as efficient this year or last year. I think the most often run play at least early in the season was the false start.

Passing probably worked well against teams who don't defend the pass well. The counter I've seen to Princeton's passing game doing well is to start running right through the Princeton defense.

Princeton can be doing well in a game with strategy and play calling and then something happens and the OC starts calling bad plays. Play after play I know where he is going with his strategy.

I think that happened at LE (I was listening to 4 games on the radio and watching 1 on TV so my concentration was broken up a lot). I think Princeton tried to grind it out in the first half keeping the game closer and then in the second half tried to pass more and threw interceptions. That doesn't seem too smart. Princeton also needs a great FG kicker too.

Princeton is just an average good team and that's with an enrollment advantage.

I sound so mean!

Go Panthers!

The passing game is definitely efficient, Collins is completing over 60% of his passes. You sound like you have no idea what you're talking about. You talk down on Princeton more than any of the other members from our district. The most run play early in the season was the false start lol what type of analysis is that! The OC must be doing a good seeing as though our offense averages almost 40 points. And if you actually made the trip to LE or at least paid attention to the radio you'd understand that yes we tried to slow the game down, but LE scored on the opening possession in the 2nd & on our ensuing possession they blocked a punt for a TD. So now you find yourself down two scores to an explosive offense you have to start throwing. And as for our kicker he was 1st all-state last year, if you know of a better one let us know!

Princeton's qb's passing game is a lot better than what he showed against LE. Both him and LE's Freeman had a tough time throwing the ball because of the weather and the bad field conditions. Could hardly plant their feet to throw and it was raining. I really think if Athens is in 7-4A they possibly don't even make the playoffs this year. Princeton's qb is a heck of an athlete, he can definitely change the game with his feet. I think he has a big game this week against Athens, Princeton's o-line also won't have to try to block anyone like Lagaryon Carson this week lol

The passing game is definitely efficient, Collins is completing over 60% of his passes. You sound like you have no idea what you're talking about. You talk down on Princeton more than any of the other members from our district. The most run play early in the season was the false start lol what type of analysis is that! The OC must be doing a good seeing as though our offense averages almost 40 points. And if you actually made the trip to LE or at least paid attention to the radio you'd understand that yes we tried to slow the game down, but LE scored on the opening possession in the 2nd & on our ensuing possession they blocked a punt for a TD. So now you find yourself down two scores to an explosive offense you have to start throwing. And as for our kicker he was 1st all-state last year, if you know of a better one let us know!

I know what I mean. We see it differently. I still think that the passing game needs to be better for me to call it efficient. I think it's close to it but not quite there.

The false start analysis is a metaphor for my believing that the team had too many penalties on the year. 721 yards in penalties are about 80% more penalty yards than I think the team needed.

I didn't want to go to LE. Even if I wanted to go I needed to do something else. I heard on the radio the part that you are talking about. I know what a few of the players and parents say about their games.

I actually want them to be really good and I have really high expectations.

Princeton's qb's passing game is a lot better than what he showed against LE. Both him and LE's Freeman had a tough time throwing the ball because of the weather and the bad field conditions. Could hardly plant their feet to throw and it was raining. I really think if Athens is in 7-4A they possibly don't even make the playoffs this year. Princeton's qb is a heck of an athlete, he can definitely change the game with his feet. I think he has a big game this week against Athens, Princeton's o-line also won't have to try to block anyone like Lagaryon Carson this week lol

When Princeton played Pittsburg it got so bad that the QB had to run the ball to keep Princeton in the game as close as it was. I said that in another thread. There were 2 missed FG too in that game by Princeton. The Princeton QB is also a baseball player.

When Princeton played Pittsburg it got so bad that the QB had to run the ball to keep Princeton in the game as close as it was. I said that in another thread. There were 2 missed FG too in that game by Princeton. The Princeton QB is also a baseball player.

Jeeeezzzzz, a lot of teams had to make adjustments when they play Pittsburg. If Princeton can run 60% and pass 40%, I think they will win. Princeton is a GOOD team. Not great but good. Were you at the game or just listen on the radio? I was there. Pittsburg's QB had to do a lot of leg work in that game. Walker #4 was the difference.

Jeeeezzzzz, a lot of teams had to make adjustments when they play Pittsburg. If Princeton can run 60% and pass 40%, I think they will win. Princeton is a GOOD team. Not great but good. Were you at the game or just listen on the radio? I was there. Pittsburg's QB had to do a lot of leg work in that game. Walker #4 was the difference.

I listened to Princeton, Plano East, Plano and Plano West on the radio and was watching SMU on TV. I heard most of Princeton's game. It went mostly as I thought it would go.

The Princeton games that I watched in person this year are the second half against Heights, Greenville, Crandall and Pittsburg.

I'm thinking of going to the playoff game.