Tyler Lee's Darrell Piske out as Head Coach

ComputerBear01

Everyone don't forget we're talking about TISD here. They botched this up so bad with Owens then railroaded Hufstickler and Piski took the job only after all defaulted and withdrew the last time. They don't want to pay a big time name and will have to keep the pay scale in line with coach Holmes at JT.

That is what they have done in the past.. everyone from the AD to coaches have taken cuts there. The politics are off the chain and the geographic region of the school is a killer..traveling to Dallas with all those crazy Thursday night games with 300 people in the stands.

There is alot of talent there..but they have to learn how to play physical defense. Their opponents didn't need a punter this or last season.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Going from Longview to REL would give me a reason to think someone was not right in the head. Not one reason I can think of would make this a good move. Not even lateral. BIG time step down.

Who is talking about anyone moving from Longview to Lee. I haven't seen anyone mention anything about Longview?

You guys can be crazy sometimes. Clubhouse talk at the course has been all about Randy McFarlin. Has been for weeks now. He has a good gig in Arkansas so he may not be interested? I guess time will tell.

Would be a great hire. If Lee's looking for someone to turn a program around, McFarlin is the guy. What he did at Whitehouse is one of the biggest turnarounds in Texas football history. Plus his success at DField.

The job posting looks like they want their guy in place after Christmas break, so things should start moving quickly i would think.

Everyone don't forget we're talking about TISD here. They botched this up so bad with Owens then railroaded Hufstickler and Piski took the job only after all defaulted and withdrew the last time. They don't want to pay a big time name and will have to keep the pay scale in line with coach Holmes at JT.

That is what they have done in the past.. everyone from the AD to coaches have taken cuts there. The politics are off the chain and the geographic region of the school is a killer..traveling to Dallas with all those crazy Thursday night games with 300 people in the stands.

There is alot of talent there..but they have to learn how to play physical defense. Their opponents didn't need a punter this or last season.

If they did go after a big time guy, I think Holmes has proven himself and would be deserving of a raise. Paying someone should not be the issue. (Probably will be though)

If they did go after a big time guy, I think Holmes has proven himself and would be deserving of a raise. Paying someone should not be the issue. (Probably will be though)

I agree that Holmes has proven himself and would deserve a raise if that becomes a factor in hiring the right person at Lee.

I can promise you McFarlin ain't interested in REL. Doesn't make financial sense. He is making full Teacher retirement in Texas at a very high rate. He is also making great $ in Arkansas as an AD. Combine the to incomes and he is looking at little less than $200 K a year. He would have to be crazy to give up that kind on $ to come back to Texas. Just my thoughts.

I can promise you they are not going after McFarlin. McFarlin did to Whitehouse what Piske did the last couple of years at Lee. Great offense no defense.

Yes, that's what McFarlin "did" to Whitehouse. They were so successful before he got there. Crowining homecoming queens each week and all.

Yes, that's what McFarlin "did" to Whitehouse. They were so successful before he got there. Crowining homecoming queens each week and all.

Whitehouse had a great offense no defense. The only difference is Whitehouse was one of the big dogs in their district why Lee was not.

I can promise you they are not going after McFarlin. McFarlin did to Whitehouse what Piske did the last couple of years at Lee. Great offense no defense.

BUT, BUT, he also did what? WIN! He also made the playoffs every year at Whitehouse(except his first two), had multiple 10 win seasons, a couple of district championships, etc, etc, etc. He has been gone three years and Whitehouse not made the playoffs the last two years and is back to the old Whitehouse. That pretty much speaks for itself.

There were some years where Whitehouse was also decent on defense. Much better than average for most wide open spread teams. You might also want to keep in mind that he had some dang good defenses at Daingerfield and Mt. Pleasant. Whitehouse has very average athletes on a yearly basis compared to Lee. I'm sure he would find a way to win and most likely win BIG at Lee. As Old Hornet said, $$$$$ may be the biggest issue and may not allow him to be a candidate.

He had multiple defensive players get scholarships, shivers and the dunning boys. Its not that he had bad defenses, the offenses where just better.Also do not forget that he was the AD for most of that time and the rest of the programs prospered. They have not had a playoff team in any sport since they relieved him of his duties(last year and this year so far)

Whatever Lee Coach makes, Coach Holmes will make the same. That's how Tisd rolls.

good point....in recent history, usually JT and Lee coaches make nearly the same amount.

Also, not sure why people think TISD doesn't pay their head coaches well. I agree, there are many places that pay better, but TISD isn't in the bottom of the pack. Coach Rush was making somewhere around $96,000-97000 when he left JT in 2012. I'm willing to bet that is in the top 25-30% of salaries among coaches in Texas. And I know its alot more than the top coaches make in Louisiana. Who knows, Lee could hire a coach from a surrounding state. I don't think money will be a huge issue, unless you are trying to get a coach from the Metroplex. But $96,000 in Tyler is just as good as $110,000 in DFW.

By the way, Arkansas high schools don't pay anywhere close to what Texas High schools pay

http://www.arkansasonline.com/extra/databases/coachsalaries/

BUT, BUT, he also did what? WIN! He also made the playoffs every year at Whitehouse(except his first two), had multiple 10 win seasons, a couple of district championships, etc, etc, etc. He has been gone three years and Whitehouse not made the playoffs the last two years and is back to the old Whitehouse. That pretty much speaks for itself.

There were some years where Whitehouse was also decent on defense. Much better than average for most wide open spread teams. You might also want to keep in mind that he had some dang good defenses at Daingerfield and Mt. Pleasant. Whitehouse has very average athletes on a yearly basis compared to Lee. I'm sure he would find a way to win and most likely win BIG at Lee. As Old Hornet said, $$$$$ may be the biggest issue and may not allow him to be a candidate.

All those teams have one thing in common. They are 1 horse towns and he was probably the ad also. That wouldn't happen in Tyler. He gets all the talent in those towns. In Tisd you never know what you are going to get until they show up on campus.

Y'all keep saying he would do wonders at Lee. That remains to be seen but I know for a fact Tisd is going after a big wig for Lee. Somebody from some top school's whether it be a oc,dc, or head coach. I'm not saying he is not a good Coach, but coaching at Whitehouse does not fit their criteria. Nobody from Tisd has even mention McFarlin. That's something you guys threw out there. Trust me Lee is trying to get the biggest name they can get from the most successful school's.

If he was still coaching Whitehouse right know and they were winning he still wouldn't get it. That's the truth whether you want to except it or not. Nothing against him but he is not big enough for what the powers that be want at Lee.