Tyler Lee's Darrell Piske out as Head Coach

ComputerBear01

All those teams have one thing in common. They are 1 horse towns and he was probably the ad also. That wouldn't happen in Tyler. He gets all the talent in those towns. In Tisd you never know what you are going to get until they show up on campus.

Y'all keep saying he would do wonders at Lee. That remains to be seen but I know for a fact Tisd is going after a big wig for Lee. Somebody from some top school's whether it be a oc,dc, or head coach. I'm not saying he is not a good Coach, but coaching at Whitehouse does not fit their criteria. Nobody from Tisd has even mention McFarlin. That's something you guys threw out there. Trust me Lee is trying to get the biggest name they can get from the most successful school's.

If he was still coaching Whitehouse right know and they were winning he still wouldn't get it. That's the truth whether you want to except it or not. Nothing against him but he is not big enough for what the powers that be want at Lee.

You might be exactly right, but what some at TISD think they can get and what they actually CAN get is also two different things. We all heard this same thing the last two times around. Lee is a good job, but lets not forget......it isn't GREAT! If it was, Piske would have never been here. Good man and decent coach, but not a good fit for TISD. Heck, even Meador at Lindale turned it down last time. Either way, I for one would be excited to see McFarlin one the sideline at Lee, and I think he is a big grab for Lee. I don't make that decision though. I just get to have fun speculating!

For the record.....I DID hear his name from someone at TISD. When you say nobody at TISD is mentioning him, that isn't true. Saying nobody, well you left out some pretty important peeps that are talking about him.

And maybe TISD os going in a whole new direction this time around, but last time Meador at Lindale and Castles at Corsicana (now at Henderson) were in the final 3 with Piske. Those aren't exactly huge hires.

Hopefully TISD doesn't get too big headed in this hire thinking they have to have a metroplex coach from a "big time" program.

Mcfarlin is one of the "biggest" most respected names in East Texas football. Like I said, maybe the administration just feels like they have to make a "splash" hire with a metroplex type coach .

You might be exactly right, but what some at TISD think they can get and what they actually CAN get is also two different things. We all heard this same thing the last two times around. Lee is a good job, but lets not forget......it isn't GREAT! If it was, Piske would have never been here. Good man and decent coach, but not a good fit for TISD. Heck, even Meador at Lindale turned it down last time. Either way, I for one would be excited to see McFarlin one the sideline at Lee, and I think he is a big grab for Lee. I don't make that decision though. I just get to have fun speculating!

For the record.....I DID hear his name from someone at TISD. When you say nobody at TISD is mentioning him, that isn't true. Saying nobody, well you left out some pretty important peeps that are talking about him.

The ad and superintendent wasn't on the interview process last time that's why the other guys pulled out. It was a complete circus last go around. Everybody in Tyler know who is pulling the strings around here. You might think McFarlin would be a good coach at but I don't and that's my opinion. Just like you have yours. The people I talk are in the know and it's pretty obvious that they want Lee to have someone from one of the big programs to lead Lee. Whether they land that person or not is a different story. I guarantee you this, they are going after someone from one of the best programs in the state to take Lee from being the doormat to being one of the best programs in the state.

The ad and superintendent wasn't on the interview process last time that's why the other guys pulled out. It was a complete circus last go around. Everybody in Tyler know who is pulling the strings around here. You might think McFarlin would be a good coach at but I don't and that's my opinion. Just like you have yours. The people I talk are in the know and it's pretty obvious that they want Lee to have someone from one of the big programs to lead Lee. Whether they land that person or not is a different story. I guarantee you this, they are going after someone from one of the best programs in the state to take Lee from being the doormat to being one of the best programs in the state.

Who is that dude at Permian? That would be Kool... Hahahaha

good point....in recent history, usually JT and Lee coaches make nearly the same amount.

Also, not sure why people think TISD doesn't pay their head coaches well. I agree, there are many places that pay better, but TISD isn't in the bottom of the pack. Coach Rush was making somewhere around $96,000-97000 when he left JT in 2012. I'm willing to bet that is in the top 25-30% of salaries among coaches in Texas. And I know its alot more than the top coaches make in Louisiana. Who knows, Lee could hire a coach from a surrounding state. I don't think money will be a huge issue, unless you are trying to get a coach from the Metroplex. But $96,000 in Tyler is just as good as $110,000 in DFW.

By the way, Arkansas high schools don't pay anywhere close to what Texas High schools pay

http://www.arkansasonline.com/extra/databases/coachsalaries/

This is from Benton school website $88 K is not that unusual in Arkansas

MCFARLIN RANDY ATHLETIC DIRECTOR 255 Days $ 88,560.20

I guarantee you this, they are going after someone from one of the best programs in the state to take Lee from being the doormat to being one of the best programs in the state.

Just because you can coach at, "one of the best programs in the state"(which if you're talking about DFW I guess that probably means you're talking about Allen? Southlake? Trinity?, doesn't mean you can turn around a struggling program. It takes a special kind of coach to turn a program around, Rush did that for JT. These teams "I think" you are implying are long established programs with a lot of students and in DFW I would imagine somehow parents with good athletes just happen to find homes in their zones. lol It's much easier to come in and coach and continue tradition than it is to create or re-create that tradition.

Just because you can coach at, "one of the best programs in the state"(which if you're talking about DFW I guess that probably means you're talking about Allen? Southlake? Trinity?, doesn't mean you can turn around a struggling program. It takes a special kind of coach to turn a program around, Rush did that for JT. These teams "I think" you are implying are long established programs with a lot of students and in DFW I would imagine somehow parents with good athletes just happen to find homes in their zones. lol It's much easier to come in and coach and continue tradition than it is to create or re-create that tradition.

Rush did a good job but let's not act like JT didn't have any players. Only one Coach didn't win at JT and that was win Lee was winning. JT has and will always have athletes. It's not hard win at JT. JT is top ten in all time wins. Lee has athletes also but not as much as JT. It's also less political at JT.

Rush did a good job but let's not act like JT didn't have any players. Only one Coach didn't win at JT and that was win Lee was winning. JT has and will always have athletes. It's not hard win at JT. JT is top ten in all time wins. Lee has athletes also but not as much as JT. It's also less political at JT.

I believe you are backing up my point here. There is no doubt JT has and always will have players. With that being said the programs "I believe" you are mentioning in DFW are not hard to win at either. Is there good coaching there, yes no doubt, but when you have a consistent stream of athletes coming to your HS because you are good it is much easier. Just because you go get someone from a big name DFW school does not mean they can come relate to east Texas Tyler kids. My position is... go get a guy who has proven he can relate to east Texas kids and bring a program back that has been struggling.

I believe you are backing up my point here. There is no doubt JT has and always will have players. With that being said the programs "I believe" you are mentioning in DFW are not hard to win at either. Is there good coaching there, yes no doubt, but when you have a consistent stream of athletes coming to your HS because you are good it is much easier. Just because you go get someone from a big name DFW school does not mean they can come relate to east Texas Tyler kids. My position is... go get a guy who has proven he can relate to east Texas kids and bring a program back that has been struggling.

+1

Coaching in the city and coaching in a smaller setting are totally different. Not saying a coach can't make the leap and be successful, but it's hard. Not a lot of DFW coaches that have made the jump to East Texas and been overly successful.

The most successful that comes to mind recently is Jerry Stanford. He was in the metroplex, came to White Oak, then left for Flower Mound Marcus. Not that you can blame him for leaving for that job, but another issue Lee may run into hiring a smaller classification DFW head coach or a coordinator from DFW is they may use Lee as a stepping stone to get their first head coaching job and get back to the metroplex. Whereas hiring someone who wants to be in East Texas longterm, they will be less likely (not saying impossible) to jump ship.

Just saying most East Texas coaches would be extremely happy to be at Lee, turn them around and be successful. As opposed to a "DFW coach" who uses it more as a way to climb to a "better job" in the metroplex.

Coaching in the city and coaching in a smaller setting are totally different. Not saying a coach can't make the leap and be successful, but it's hard. Not a lot of DFW coaches that have made the jump to East Texas and been overly successful.

The most successful that comes to mind recently is Jerry Stanford. He was in the metroplex, came to White Oak, then left for Flower Mound Marcus. Not that you can blame him for leaving for that job, but another issue Lee may run into hiring a smaller classification DFW head coach or a coordinator from DFW is they may use Lee as a stepping stone to get their first head coaching job and get back to the metroplex. Whereas hiring someone who wants to be in East Texas longterm, they will be less likely (not saying impossible) to jump ship.

Just saying most East Texas coaches would be extremely happy to be at Lee, turn them around and be successful. As opposed to a "DFW coach" who uses it more as a way to climb to a "better job" in the metroplex.

You make valid points.

I have heard several names , but most of it is speculation. It was supposed to be done before the Christmas break, but not sure thats happening.

It could be their guy is still in the playoffs. I wont mention any names because it just fires up people, and I dont have any proof either.

Its been under wraps, pretty much. Bill Coats mentioned a long list of names last week on his show, and Im pulling real strong for one of them, I think could help Lee.

This is a great job, but a challenging one, but if the right guy gets in there, there is alot of talent there, that just needs some coaching. Its not dicilipine, grades, or other, its Xs and Os.

Daniel Swaim

Jamie Salter

Kerry Strong

Mike Thomas

Todd Dodge

Heard Thomas' name floating around here a lot lately. Look for him to become the front runner. He's the strict disciplinarian that Lee needs. He would take the Raiders to new heights, similar to those achieved in '04