Brett Ratliff no longer Head FB Coach at New Diana...

Smoaky

I spoke with Brett Ratliff this afternoon and he's been reassigned by the superintendent. Obviously, he was disappointed, but he understands the business.

He will remain as the AD until New Diana I.S.D. hires a new head football coach.

Ratilff was 16-26 in four-years with the Eagles, two playoff teams, but 0-10 in 2015.

Smoaky

Playoffs 3 of the 4 years. Well, except when Waskom had to forfeit games and it put another team ahead. One bad year and ouch! Small town heroics by a disgruntled few is what I'd say happened. I watched a few games this year and they were outmatched in personnel. Unless some athletes move in to fill in with a good group of young kids, Diana may not see much success in the next few years. They need someone in the backfield to take control.

ND has built a new weight room that open a few weeks ago. There are plans for more updates but it is difficult doing major overhauls due to funds. We receive very little tax base due to being a community. Most of the taxes go to the county instead of to the school. There are efforts to change many things but it takes time. Naturally parents if athletes want wins now but it is not going to change very quickly without needed improvements other than a coach. This will now be the the 4th coach since 2005.

• Like 1

I don't think that anyone would argue that Brett Ratliff is a good man....a very good man. He will land on his feet. I have had the opportunity to meet him a couple of times and was a very pleasant guy...unfortunately, being a good man does not mean you get to keep your job if you don't perform.

There may have been a vocal few asking for change that were the loudest, bust most people in the community demanded the change...they just weren't as vocal. The change was needed for the overall direction of the program. Basketball has been miserable, softball was a disappointment, baseball under performed. There was not positive direction to any of the programs.

As for football, they haven't beat a single playoff team since his arrival and they have lost 18 of the last 21 games. If that doesn't demand a change, I am not sure what does. Not saying he is a bad coach...just saying that a change is needed. The team gave up 466 points and scored 67 this season and not a single offense or defensive philosophy changed.

I graduated from ND in 1971 and there a couple of things that haven't changed...the kids will work, the parents want discipline and if you don't win you won't be here long.

I don't think that anyone would argue that Brett Ratliff is a good man....a very good man. He will land on his feet. I have had the opportunity to meet him a couple of times and was a very pleasant guy...unfortunately, being a good man does not mean you get to keep your job if you don't perform.

There may have been a vocal few asking for change that were the loudest, bust most people in the community demanded the change...they just weren't as vocal. The change was needed for the overall direction of the program. Basketball has been miserable, softball was a disappointment, baseball under performed. There was not positive direction to any of the programs.

As for football, they haven't beat a single playoff team since his arrival and they have lost 18 of the last 21 games. If that doesn't demand a change, I am not sure what does. Not saying he is a bad coach...just saying that a change is needed. The team gave up 466 points and scored 67 this season and not a single offense or defensive philosophy changed.

I graduated from ND in 1971 and there a couple of things that haven't changed...the kids will work, the parents want discipline and if you don't win you won't be here long.

Sounds like you guys may be looking for Kerry Strong. Dont think he would be interested because he has other irons in the fire but he would be a steal if yall could get him.

• Like 1

I played for Waskom back in the early to mid 70's and remember losing to ND in Bi-District in '72 (I believe was the year), and what few times after that we played, they always seemed pretty stout!! When exactly did the down turn start. Know Waskom during the 70's & 80's was dominant, no so much until the last few years.

He is a great man and great coach. What people do not realize is that if you do not have the talent you will not win games. It does not matter who is coaching the team. Especially in the District of DOOM. And no a change was not needed!! SMH at DIANA!!!!!

If you think that a change wasn't needed then I would have to shake my head at you. He is not responsible for only the football team, but all the sports. Basketball has a record of 6-46 over the last two seasons, baseball team finished fourth and was picked to win the district, softball was dismal...he is the AD and it makes him accountable.

District of Doom? Really? Troup won one game...which was ND and they beat them by 48. EF won 4 four games and beat ND by 40. Arp finished 5-5 and beat ND by 62. If they have no talent, then why would he want to stay? It's just hurting his career.

Like I said, I am sure he is a good man...but I don't get to keep my job because I am a good man.

Like I said he is a great Coach with not much talent to work with. Oh and don't go spreading lies about the baseball program sir!!! They were picked 1st and got 3rd not 4th!!! They had to overcome so many tragedies last year. It was amazing the team played as well as they did with the two deaths during their season. Also the year before they were picked 5th in district and they got 1st! So if you don't know the facts....Keep your mouth shut!! Thank You!!

• Like 1

So, was he a bad coach in 13 & 14 too when they went 6-4 7-4, or did he suddenly get real stupid just in time for this season?

And you sign up on this site just to badmouth a coach? How nice. I do give you credit for not hiding behind an anonymous screen name though.

In 99% of the time it is not the X's & O's, it is the Johnny's and Joe's. From what I have been told by several very reliable sources is that Coach Ratliff is a very good Coach and an honorable man and ND was WAY down on talent this year. Schools that have established programs with fans that support the program and expect the kids to work hard in everything can win when they are down a notch in talent. Communities that don't, don't. Now in ND they get to start the whole process of building a program all over again.

Just remember, when you choose to go in another direction that road runs TWO ways. And you do not always find yourself in the destination that you envisioned yourself being in when the trip is over.

• Like 2

I won't argue...

I would challenge you to find one negative thing I have said that was negative about coach Ratliff. All I said is they need to go in another direction because of the program(s).

I signed up for the site because my grandson plays here and I was just curious to the comments.

3rd is great in spite of everything they went through! HMM.. Henry Taylor you say? Who is your grandson? My name is Tweety Bird as stated in my username. All the stuff you are stating sounds very familiar? In fact just like a ton of emails that have been floating around with info about coaches and stats. Which all the info in the emails just like yours are incorrect. Please get facts straight before opening your mouth.

• Like 1

And you sign up on this site just to badmouth a coach?

He even said in his original post that he wasn't saying the coach was a bad coach, just that changed was needed. How is that badmouthing him?

I've seen New Diana a couple times the past couple of years play, with my brother being a senior this year and playing since he was a sophomore. This team was one of the worst football teams I've seen seen in my life. From coaching on down to the players.

I don't see how ND could not have changed coaches after this past year. It was just beyond horrible on all levels.