Brett Ratliff no longer Head FB Coach at New Diana...

Smoaky

Obviously you have not seen the facilities at ND. Not just the athletic facilities but the school also. I've heard from numerous kids that the reason they left is because they are tired of going to a school that's in such bad of shape. They've gone to Longview, Gilmer, and Ore City. The faculty at ND is great (including the coaches) but they just don't have the talent anymore.

I observed last Friday night some pretty good talent I thought. In some cases they went out of their way to avoid contact as the game went on, but couldn't really blame them for that. Not sure of total yardage, but if they DID have positive yardage, it wasn't much. Didn't get any better when seconds and even JV were put into game. Will say this, after going there and playing last year, I truly believe that they have the worst field in District, with Winona a close 2nd.

And yes...I read the emails that went around. Can't say that I agree with it all, but there were good points

Don't see where you have talked bad about anyone...Just stating how you feel and you have that right! I'll say this alot of parents wouldn't want my kid playing on that football field over there!

Obviously you have not seen the facilities at ND. Not just the athletic facilities but the school also. I've heard from numerous kids that the reason they left is because they are tired of going to a school that's in such bad of shape. They've gone to Longview, Gilmer, and Ore City. The faculty at ND is great (including the coaches) but they just don't have the talent anymore.

Ain't nobody moved to Gilmer because the High School Facility bro

Love reading the posts Any good points on both sides. Nobody has moved to Gilmer because the parents and kids know they can't play with those kids there. Diana has good kids, but not necessarily good athletes. Being a good athlete doesn't make you a good kid, it doesn't mean anything about character. As for the facilities, I do agree they are bad. Probably the worst in East Texas. I don't see that changing anytime soon either. I make a lot of ballgames every year and it seems like Diana has the worst upkeep of any around. Bad grass, bad bleachers, press box, etc. Of course it takes money to build new, but I do believe a little better upkeep would help. That's not on the coaches tthough, unless they are all part of the maintenance crew. I hope the best for ND. I hope they get a quality applicant with the lack of athletes (no backs, etc), lack of facilities, and a school that from what I hear is ran by a couple of community members with am agenda. Good luck ND and I will forever be a fan.

I would say that the 2 you refer to have the potential of being a good athlete. Didn't see much this year when I watched the older one play though. I know he is young but needs to be reined in. From the word on the streets coning from the kids in New Diana, they are recruiting a coach from Gilmer. Maybe he knows these kids and their potential. Although to go from the Gilmer athletes and facilities to Diana would be quite a step down.

• Like 1

Gotta love the life of a coach, Most people don't think that being a Coach/Teacher is their job. Being a coach is, i assume, the only real job that you could HAVE to change jobs every 3 to 4 years because someone that is NOT a Coach or doesn't have a clue about the profession can have you be removed from that job.

Coaches have to be politically correct in everything they do, and try to maintain a balance between home life and public life.

Coaches win a high percentage of the time on TALENT alone. (I didnt say 100%)

I have seen teams go from 0-10, 0-10 to 8-2, 9-1, back to 0-10 with the same AD. Does that make it a time to go a different direction? The Jimmy and Joes make up 70 percent of the outcome the X's and O's the other 30 Percent.

Me personally, I think people should look deeper. Does the AD hold his other coaches to a high standard? Does the AD implement life lessons towards the kids? Does the kids show respect outside of there sport?

However its all about what have you done for me lately.

God Bless the Coaching Profession

• Like 6

Agreed Fiapoly. I've been taking to my friends at New Diana, who have children in the school, and funny thing is that their kid came home and heard the coach was going to be reassigned and what his duties were going to be before the school staff even knew anything about it. The kid said that thy were even talkin about the coach bein recruited to be brought in as i stated earlier. That says someone was talking when they shouldn't have been. Coincidence there was a school board meting Monday night and most would assume the AD's future and responsibilities would have been discussed? Seems as if someone may have spoken out of turn after the meeting. I do believe this stuff happens all the time in small towns though. A few people who bark loud and want things there way go after the jugular and get people to fall in line with them. Maybe can even stack people who can vote in their favor in the right places. That's why I don't live in a small town. I don't want homers, those hat can't get away from the small town for whatever reason, in my business and trying to make decisons on my behalf. Again, good luck kids in Dina as y'all are a fine group of of young men and good luck Coach Ratliff and the rest of the staff. Time for me to move on and leave this saga behind.

Gotta love the life of a coach, Most people don't think that being a Coach/Teacher is their job. Being a coach is, i assume, the only real job that you could HAVE to change jobs every 3 to 4 years because someone that is NOT a Coach or doesn't have a clue about the profession can have you be removed from that job.

Coaches have to be politically correct in everything they do, and try to maintain a balance between home life and public life.

Coaches win a high percentage of the time on TALENT alone. (I didnt say 100%)

I have seen teams go from 0-10, 0-10 to 8-2, 9-1, back to 0-10 with the same AD. Does that make it a time to go a different direction? The Jimmy and Joes make up 70 percent of the outcome the X's and O's the other 30 Percent.

Me personally, I think people should look deeper. Does the AD hold his other coaches to a high standard? Does the AD implement life lessons towards the kids? Does the kids show respect outside of there sport?

However its all about what have you done for me lately.

God Bless the Coaching Profession

Great post.

Saying the kids at New Diana are not talented or the program has not been successful in the last few years is not true. If you believe this then look up the facts.

Last year alone every sport made the playoffs or has a student represent the school at the next level.

Football 4th place with a 3-7 record.

Volleyball 2nd place.

Cross country multiple kids to Regionals and 1 to State.

Boys basketball - missed

Girls basketball - 3rd

Powelifting - multiple reqional qualifiers to regionals. 3 qualified to State. 2 state records set by 2 athletes. 2 place and 3 place finishers in state.

Boys Golf - athletes placed in District

Girls Golf - athletes placed in District

Tennis - good district showing. Places unknown.

Boys Track - District Champions

Girls Track - multiple regional qualifiers. State Qualifier placed 2nd and 3rd in events.

Baseball - 3rd in district. Lost a parent of a player and a coach during the season.

Softball - went to playoffs under a 1st year coach.

There are ups and downs in every program. This years football team was full of young players with little expirence. Excuses? No. Parents expecting more out of their kids? Yes These young men will be successful in the coming years if the parents will allow the coaches to coach who ever they may be. I would suggest those that want to discuss the state of the program to come to a booster meeting. Get involved with the program and help make the program successful. There are so many tearing the program down but very few building it up. In the last 3 months, 4 people have came to a booster meeting that were not a coach or an officer.

• Like 2

So what happens at the booster club meetings that build up the program? Are you having trouble getting people to work in the concession stands?

Concessions are staffed just fine first of all.

Next at a booster meet we discuss the needs of all sports that fall outside the budget and attempt to meet those needs. We discuss ideas to better our facilities and act on the ones we can. We come up with fundraising ideas to supplement for athletics. The booster club dies alot more than sell tshirts and run the concession stand. I challenge you to come to 1 meeting and hear what we are planning and working on. Next meeting is December 9th in the gym foyer at 6pm. Everyone is welcome.

• Like 1

And the story doesn't jive. The only real successes on the boys side were powerlifting and track...but we finished 3-7 and 0-10 in back to back years in football..

That's a head scratcher

We had a very successful baseball season under the circumstances. As a parent of a child on that team, we wanted more but I don't think you can find a parent from the team that says it wasn't a success. That team was more than about wins and losses. That team went through adversity and didn't quit. They learn more about life lessons through there season than most kids learn throughout their high school years.

You hold too much stock in wins and losses. Granted everyone wants their kids to win a title or go play in college. To me it is more important to prepare these young athletes for life through competition and teamwork. Failures and success teach lessons.

• Like 1