Brett Ratliff no longer Head FB Coach at New Diana...

Smoaky

Lots of comments on here.....It concerns me that people rarely mention WHOLE or COMPLETE athletic programs anymore,,,,,Or give a coach time to build a program. When a coach comes in he inherits 5 years of athletes who have been under someone else's direction, so how long does it really take? I can't imagine taking to the field a group with 7-8 sophmores. That's JV for everyone else. As for other sports other than football or baseball,,,,,who is at the board meetings demanding a better program or voting in elections for better facilities. Gilmer is slowly but surely turing things around there, and can you say the same for other schools. Captntmo,,,Terrific point,,,,,Sounds like Diana has more success than outsiders realize,,,guess insiders take it for granted.

I know coach Ratliff and his family. He is a good man that was 100% invested in ND and the community. I would be proud to have both of my boys play for him. I really hope he decides to continue coaching in East Texas even though he has several connections in the Houston area. Knowing what kind of man he is, he will take this experience and use it to become a better coach and AD when given the next opportunity. I really do not think another coach could have done more given the same resources. He joins an endless list of good men and good coaches unable to reach unrealistic expectations of the community.

• Like 1

Not a single comment...not one, has said anything negative about Brett Ratliff. He is obviously a good man. I don't even think that there has been a negative comment about his coaching ability.

I don't think making a change after you have lost 18 of your last 21 football games is unreasonable. After 3 years, you own the program so time was not an issue.

I saw the booster club guy asking people to come to meeting to build and improve the program...not even sure how that would help. I also saw the list of mediocre performance that was being touted. When you list 3-7 4th place in district as an accomplishment, you are grasping at straws. There is nothing wrong with the community demanding better. ND always has provided a first class education and the community can certainly hang it's hat on that fact.

Bottom line is that wins matter. You have to win or you face the consequences. All the coaches that read these posts know it. The Tyler Lee guy was let go and he was .500....it's the nature of the business.

I support the school board in their decision and wish the Eagles and Brett Ratliff both the best of luck.

Coach Ratliff lost his job for not winning footfall games. His job was not solely a football coach. He is was an AD of a successful sports program. He went to events of every sport and supported boys and girls sports not just football. He was successful but a few parents didn't like their kids were not winning football games. Bring in any coach you want with the kids we had playing this year and they might have won 2 games. It's nothing against the kids or the coaches. It was the level of the district and the muturity level and expirence of our kids. They will be good in future years.

As far as the booster club, most people have no clue what we actually do for the program. Then there are others that don't care. They only want to expect the best without the means or ability to get there.

• 2 weeks later...

Basketball won't be successful until they get kids with a little talent but more than that, DESIRE. Again, these are good kids, but that doesn't win games. These kids look like they are out there to pass time instead of win games. The coach looks frustrated with the effort from the kids. Come on kids, step up your game and let's try to be competitive. Quit jogging around the court and get in their faces. This isn't little dribblers anymore!

Coach Ratliff lost his job for not winning footfall games. His job was not solely a football coach. He is was an AD of a successful sports program. He went to events of every sport and supported boys and girls sports not just football. He was successful but a few parents didn't like their kids were not winning football games. Bring in any coach you want with the kids we had playing this year and they might have won 2 games. It's nothing against the kids or the coaches. It was the level of the district and the muturity level and expirence of our kids. They will be good in future years.

As far as the booster club, most people have no clue what we actually do for the program. Then there are others that don't care. They only want to expect the best without the means or ability to get there.

Yes, and as the Head Football Coach that is his job. As a successful AD, would he have been looking to replace someone that was not successful as a Head Coach of the sport the were the expert in? I think he would have. So this is justifiable because of the lack of success. Do not feel sorry for Coach Ratliff, he will land on his feet. We all understand what this business is about. Coaching is the greatest job in the world and the worst job in the world. We know what we are getting into when we sign up, or we figured it out real quick. You are either cut out to be a coach or you are not. There are only two types of coaches in this world, those that have been fired and those that will be fired.

Wow. Just wow. It is amazing that anyone even wants to get into coaching anymore with such ignorance to put up with.

Real easy to demean a man on an internet website behind an anonymous name. Bet some of you experts do not have 1/10th the guts it would take to look a man right in the eyes and tell him what you are thinking.

I sure hope you are not talking about me. I do this for a living at a pretty high level. It is just a part of the business. The only difference between us and college or NFL coaches is the size of our paycheck. The job description and expectations are the same.

High school coaching is not anywhere close to college or nfl unless you coach in a school that allows you to coach only and not teach anything. That is asinine to even say. The only one who is even remotely close to that is the A.D. at a small school like Diana. Obviously all coaches are judged on successes (wins and losses) but my goodness... there are so many more things to teach a high school kid than winning and losing.

Has anyone noticed that 3 teams from our District are in the regional semifinals. Our district is guaranteed a team in the Regional finals. This speaks volumes of the district competition we had this year. How can anyone expect a coach with a team loaded with sophmores and a freshman starting to compete at a high level against this competition? It could be potentially the same results next year no matter who the coach is due to bringing in a new system and potentially a new staff. This road runs two ways. There is good talent at ND but the parents need to watch the games and let the coaches coach the kids.

Has Willie's name been mentioned yet?

Willie Hargett is on staff at Big Sandy along with Kerry Strong. Two of the greatest coaching minds ever on the same staff??? Wow...if both of them decide to stay there there is not much keeping Big Sandy from an incredible year.

Willie Hargett is on staff at Big Sandy along with Kerry Strong. Two of the greatest coaching minds ever on the same staff??? Wow...if both of them decide to stay there there is not much keeping Big Sandy from an incredible year.

Really. I saw him on the sidelines at Hawkins a few weeks ago. What the heck happened?