Brett Ratliff no longer Head FB Coach at New Diana...

Smoaky

Just cuz you're from Gilmer doesn't give you street cred. He's as good as they get. Maybe even better at football than baseball.

Oh I love him. He's a great person. I was just asking the question. To see which direction Diana wanted their program to go. We had him at Gilmer want him back. So Bring back your Veer

Just spoke with my friends from Diana. Seems the new coach is going to "help" be selected by the QB's dad. I bet a coach that has a QB for a son gets tossed out of the pile. Some interesting events going on at ND as he is good friends with a board member also who supposedly gets to help narrow the candidates down. Looks like a 2 man hiring team from what some in the community think. I'd hate to know I was spending my time on a committee for things to be predetermined. This process seems to get more clouded every day. Good luck kids because it seems you have people looking for your new coach that has their own son's interest at the forefront.

I can guarantee this is not unprecedented and not uncommon. If a parent thinks they have an especially talented child then they want what is best for them. If they have the ability to get involved in the hiring of the person that is going to have the biggest impact on their child's future then they get involved. And why is this such a big deal? If we have a child with a special ability in music or playing an instrument then don't we search for the best music instructor we can find? The dad simply wants the best for his kid and normally when the Quarterback is good then the offense is good. When the offense is good then the Team has a chance at success. So what is the big deal?

yes you find that best PRIVATE tutor to help your kids you dont hire a band director to help one kid in the band. A coach should not be focused on only one kid. They should be focused on building the program as a whole little jimmy wont be there for ever. Unless you guys are just looking for a coach to come in and use you as stepping stone then by all means let jimmy's dad make all decisions. Don't be upset when coach either fails because of too much parent involvement or lack of overall program growth. Good luck kids have to hate small town politics.

Every coach turnover thread becomes the same. 1. Coach was great coach and an even better man. 2. Out of control parents trying to run things and the only college educated or knowledgeable people in the town are the coaches. The rest are hicks that can't read or write and work at McDonald's or Wal-Mart. 3. Lack of success is always because lack of talent. Never xs and os but the jimmy's and joe's. Coach has titles it is because he is great xs and os guy that over achieves with his talent. 4. If you challenge another posters thoughts you are an internet tough guy. 5. Coach will find better gig and be successful and local school will always fail with new coach.

I miss anything?

Every coach turnover thread becomes the same. 1. Coach was great coach and an even better man. 2. Out of control parents trying to run things and the only college educated or knowledgeable people in the town are the coaches. The rest are hicks that can't read or write and work at McDonald's or Wal-Mart. 3. Lack of success is always because lack of talent. Never xs and os but the jimmy's and joe's. Coach has titles it is because he is great xs and os guy that over achieves with his talent. 4. If you challenge another posters thoughts you are an internet tough guy. 5. Coach will find better gig and be successful and local school will always fail with new coach.

I miss anything?

Agree

And there is nothing wrong with the parent being on the hiring committee. Why are we making a big deal out this. I'm sure every parent of every kid at a school who is looking for a new coach would love to have some say so. I'm really sick of coaches being so sensitive that they can't handle questions from the community or parents.

If they have an actual hiring committee then that's fine but the way the post made it sound it was the dad and his best friend decision to do whats best for the QB.

None of my comments are aimed at you supermaroon, I'm just sick of all these coaches who get their feelings hurt when someone questions them in any way. Nobody in this business knows it all. There is not a single coach out there that is perfect and having people question your decisions is part of the job. If you are not confident enough in your abilities to answer a parent or community members question, then maybe you aren't cut out to be a head coach.

I agree about being able to answer questions that's part of the job you are always held accountable. Its a tough profession people get fired all the time for reasons some may never understand. I have no horse in this race I'm just always looking at programs as a whole I came up in a program that no one player was more important than the team. My coach kicked an all-state defensive end off the team because he thought he was above the rules. missed his talent but in the end it everyone understood how things were.

There is an 11 person committee that we'll receive 10 applicants to interview and select the final 2 canidates to present to the superintendent to select a finalist.

The committee is made up of the 4 campus principles. They will select 1 member each from their campus. The athletic booster president and 2 at large community members. 1 member is a players father and the other is a mom of past players.

Agreed Dawg. From what I saw, the team will not be built around the QB from last year. He threw interceptions and fumbled the ball all while doing his best to avoid contact.

Playactionpass sounds like he might be the dad of one of these kids if not the QB dad. Also, Playaction, have you spoken to any of the coaches to ask them questions? Just curious because from what I know about the staff, any of them would be happy to answer anything you have for them.

• Like 1

I haven't seen them play in years, but to imply a hire will be based on how a coach can get 1 parents kid to play is laughable. Sounds like what happened in Mineral Wells. HC stuck by his decision and they make the playoffs with his son at QB.
I think it's okay for parents to be on the committee, but not push an agenda. I don't know who playaction is, nor does it matter to me.
I will also say that the current lack of supervision of the gym before the games currently should be an embarrassment to the community