Brett Ratliff no longer Head FB Coach at New Diana...

Smoaky

Regarding the use of a 10/11 person committee to select the new coach. WHAT are they THINKING? They are going to turn that process in to a three ring circus. Last comment about that... will that same 10/11 person committed be there 5 years from now to tell the 'one' they choose he needs to move on if it does not work out? No... that would be left to the superintendent to do I'm sure. I'm not a fan of the committee process folks. That school, like all schools, has a leader. His decisions should be backed. Good luck, Diana.

I think a committee for input is great 10 or 11 is overkill

But in the end just like Sammy said it needs to be the Supts call thats why you have a Supt just my opinion

Score a lot of points on Brock defense....sure you would...

You obviously don'y know me or where I coach. Our offense score a lot of points on everybody we played. But, there is more to winning Championships that Offense. Now, I hate to sound arrogant, but ND would be lucky to hire someone like me. I can guarantee you we would find a way to score, and I would surround myself with quality Defensive minds and we would be a sound team in all three phases of the game. Good luck in the search for the next leader of men in New Diana

So why aren't you surrounded by "quality" defensive minds where you are now genius.

Problem number two with our profession: idiot coaches that run other programs down while not able to address the problems with their own program.

Problem number 2a: coaches that schedule weak and then run their mouths about their genius but are at home after the first round or second round of the playoffs.

So why aren't you surrounded by "quality" defensive minds where you are now genius.

Problem number two with our profession: idiot coaches that run other programs down while not able to address the problems with their own program.

Problem number 2a: coaches that schedule weak and then run their mouths about their genius but are at home after the first round or second round of the playoffs.

Not the head coach, so I am only responsible for the offense. Every non district opponent made the playoffs, 4 out of 5 went at least two rounds deep. Every playoff team in district won first round game, one went three rounds and one went to regional finals. Far from a weak schedule.

I have two great friends that are highly successful head coaches. One is a division 1 head coach and the other is a high school head coach. Both will tell you that everybody wants to win but very few kids, schools, communities, administrators, or parents want to do what it takes. Hard work, toughness, and discipline are all great until it gets put on their kid or somebody that wears a suit has to field questions from a parent, booster or board member. My guess is that being competitive athletically isnt important until friday night in nd and that hard work is for somebody elses kid or most likely the parents in nd cant be reasonable about their own lack of dna when they look in the mirror.

One of the best statements I have ever read on Smoaky! But can be applied to most schools.

If the community is looking for someone to come in and turn everything around just by their mere presence, in two years you will be going through the exact same process again.

Yes the HC must come in fired up and get everyone on the same page, while at the same time be very proficient in his craft from X's & O's, to placating JH Volleyball and Cheerleading Parents, to sharing athletes with other sports, and instilling dedication and pride to the kids.

But if the community does not do something NOTHING that the HC does will matter. The facilities are way below par for this day and age. What was "ok" in 1980 stinks on ice today. If the parents and administration do not support the new Staff 110% then you are wasting your time.

MANY years ago when I got hired for my first job being from a "School & Coaching" family I knew exactly what to ask when my boss asked me "if I had any questions". His response was something I will NEVER forget, "The parents here have the same expectations that the parents in Celina, Odessa Permian, and Southlake Carroll have, but they do not expect their kids to work hard or sacrifice". Ever since then I have applied that logic to every place that I was thinking about going to work at. If the parents and community do not expect their kids to do right and work hard then there is NOTHING that you can do to change the mentality.

• Like 3

If the community is looking for someone to come in and turn everything around just by their mere presence, in two years you will be going through the exact same process again.

Yes the HC must come in fired up and get everyone on the same page, while at the same time be very proficient in his craft from X's & O's, to placating JH Volleyball and Cheerleading Parents, to sharing athletes with other sports, and instilling dedication and pride to the kids.

But if the community does not do something NOTHING that the HC does will matter. The facilities are way below par for this day and age. What was "ok" in 1980 stinks on ice today. If the parents and administration do not support the new Staff 110% then you are wasting your time.

MANY years ago when I got hired for my first job being from a "School & Coaching" family I knew exactly what to ask when my boss asked me "if I had any questions". His response was something I will NEVER forget, "The parents here have the same expectations that the parents in Celina, Odessa Permian, and Southlake Carroll have, but they do not expect their kids to work hard or sacrifice". Ever since then I have applied that logic to every place that I was thinking about going to work at. If the parents and community do not expect their kids to do right and work hard then there is NOTHING that you can do to change the mentality.

This is as true a statement as I have ever heard. We as coaches can only push and prod so much, there must be a level of support from the parents. If the parents do not demand their kids work hard and sacrifice then NO coach can get them to.

I am impressed with the backgrounds of some of these coaches, but very few have been in Leadership or Evaluation positions. The ability to communicate and lead is not something that needs to learned while you are trying to be a Head Coach. You need to have these skills before you get the job. Dealing with the community and handling unhappy Junior High parents and cheerleader moms is a tough ask for a young guy who has never been more than a position coach.

Good luck to New Diana and their search for Leadership.

This is as true a statement as I have ever heard. We as coaches can only push and prod so much, there must be a level of support from the parents. If the parents do not demand their kids work hard and sacrifice then NO coach can get them to.

I am impressed with the backgrounds of some of these coaches, but very few have been in Leadership or Evaluation positions. The ability to communicate and lead is not something that needs to learned while you are trying to be a Head Coach. You need to have these skills before you get the job. Dealing with the community and handling unhappy Junior High parents and cheerleader moms is a tough ask for a young guy who has never been more than a position coach.

Good luck to New Diana and their search for Leadership.

Before you get your first head coaching job, you need to have some head coaching job experience.

Just saw the part about the entire Coffee Bunch from the table of knowledge at the local cafe being on the committee. Red Flag #1

School Board Members running the Committee, Red Flag #2

School Board Members discussing school personnel at a public venue. Red Flag #3

If all of that is / was true then I would have yanked my app by now. That tells me that the Sup is a mere figurehead for the School Board and is not the real person in charge of the school. What happens now when a couple of School Board members who think that THEY hired me do not like a play call I make on 4-2 or who is playing QB? The Sup has already shown that he is going to defer to the Board when times get hard.

I work for the Sup. I am his man and loyal only to him. I do not work for the School Board or the Community at large. I am not interested in pleasing them but only doing my job as the Sup wants me to do.

Once again if the above is true then I expect New Diana will be once again looking in a couple of years.

When in doubt in the school business remember CARDINAL RULE #1:

-THE CHAIN OF COMMAND MUST BE RESPECTED AND ADHERED TO AT ALL TIMES

CARDINAL RULE #2:

-See CARDINAL RULE #1

• Like 1