West Rusk vs Paul Pewitt @ Lobo Stadium

CrimsonTide21

West Rusk vs Paul Pewitt  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

Weather was fine I believe. I'd rather play Waskom in a mud pit than with a whole new system the boys hadn't got a grip on yet. I'm downing WR at all as I stated. Great team. I just think a lot of people sleep on Pewitt because of those first two games.

Excuse me. I meant to say I was not downing WR

Pewitt played Hughes Springs 41-7 with Hughes Springs had their starting QB/S and starting TB/CB that didn't play against WR. Now both teams played them on a downward spiral. Pewitt just played them with better athletes.

Pewitt will get after the QB better than anyone with the exception of Waskom that WR has played.

Ok... I've been quiet on this one. I have been calling for this game to happen, and now its here. As for what will happen... its gonna be a dogfight, I can assure you that. Because that is the style of ball Pewitt plays. West Rusk is a better passing team than anyone Pewitt has played and I feel like they can do some things there. However, Pewitt is strong on defense. The Brahmas will not let Ballard beat them. The outcome of this game will depend 100% on the success (or lack of) by West Rusk in the passing game. Teams that pass alot are unpredictable... Many factors must go well in a synchronized fashion to execute a successful pass game at this level. Betts and Hillis for Pewitt are as good as we saw all year- bar none. The film doesn't do them justice. They are 200 & 220 lbs and run HARD. They're extremely difficult to get on the ground. This game will be a classic. I'm excited that I'll be able to watch it.

• Like 1

JJ- As for #1, what you said was true. He is/was a great player, but Winona adjusted their gameplan and played well against Pewitt. I do not feel his presence would have affected the outcome of the game. That is the absolute truth.

JJ- As for #1, what you said was true. He is/was a great player, but Winona adjusted their gameplan and played well against Pewitt. I do not feel his presence would have affected the outcome of the game. That is the absolute truth.

he had the speed factor that changed who Winona was. Y'all losing him was like waskom losing Amie.
  • Like 1

He was our speed factor and losing him hurt. I'm just saying we compensated and played well. We have other fast kids as well and they got more touches and performed admirably against Pewitt. I'm not going to say not having him cost us that game, because I dont believe that to be true.

I personally love the idea of Thanksgiving football. For one, it gets me outta the house in-laws house after dinner as well as outta Black Friday shopping a little early. This is the second time Frazier has done this sort of thing.

As for the West Rusk-Winona game, West Rusk jumped to a 21-0 first-half lead behind 2 passing touchdowns from Starling to Hicks.

Winona cut the deficit to 7 at the half. The 1st score was a fumble return. Winona scored early in the 3rd to tie the game at 21-all. West Rusk responded with a touchdown on the next drive to make it 28-21.

Winona drove inside West Rusk's 1-yard line, but was stopped on 4th-and-goa with just over 10-1/2 minutes left in the game.

West Rusk responded by running out the clock, and Winona never got the ball back.

Ballard had 300+ on the ground in that game. Hope this helps.

a Thanksgiving night game is a nice thought. only bad thing is it requires some school employees to work on one of their few holidays a year. i'm talking about maintenance, custodial staff and those types of employees. then again it's the schools fault for scheduling a game on that day.

True. But alot of the time those employees are happy to get the opportunity to log some overtime hours and the pay that goes with. A large district like Longview shouldn't have too much trouble finding volunteers if some of the regulars have family obligations.

Ok... I've been quiet on this one. I have been calling for this game to happen, and now its here. As for what will happen... its gonna be a dogfight, I can assure you that. Because that is the style of ball Pewitt plays. West Rusk is a better passing team than anyone Pewitt has played and I feel like they can do some things there. However, Pewitt is strong on defense. The Brahmas will not let Ballard beat them. The outcome of this game will depend 100% on the success (or lack of) by West Rusk in the passing game. Teams that pass alot are unpredictable... Many factors must go well in a synchronized fashion to execute a successful pass game at this level. Betts and Hillis for Pewitt are as good as we saw all year- bar none. The film doesn't do them justice. They are 200 & 220 lbs and run HARD. They're extremely difficult to get on the ground. This game will be a classic. I'm excited that I'll be able to watch it.

I think your spot on with this. Pewitt has the best pass defense that I have ever witnessed. Now I think West Rusk is fixing to test it like no one else has. I'm sure they are going to give up a couple of long td's. It is how they control themselves when that happens. As long as they breathe through it and keep up their attack it will be fine. If they lose composure, it's over. Same thing can be said about West Rusk's run defense.

Going to be a good one. Get your popcorn ready.