Carthage vs Silsbee

CDAWG68

Quarter Final Winner  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins this game?

The key is the Carthage Defense. We must make our reads and play sound defense. We don't have to shut them down completely to win. We just need a few stops, punts and/or turnovers. Bend but don't break! Carthage Offense should have no trouble scoring enough points to win. I still think Carthage pulls away in the 4th to win.

Silsbee is for real! Of course at this stage who isn't! Silsbee takes this game by 10pts, and WOS gets revenge against Gilmer for D2 championship! that is if Gilmer can make it to that point.

Silsbee's speed will keep in the game the first half and then the 2nd half the cream will rise to the top and Carthage will take the game over. Carthage wins by 14. Coaching, game plan, execution, and eliminating mistakes will be the difference in this game, Scott Surratt is one of the best coaches in the state. His playoff record speaks for itself, I hope his record chalks another up on Friday. Go Dawgs!

WOS could beat Gilmer this year, they are not as dominate as they were last year. Gilmer plays a disciplined game and will stay in the game unless WOS can disrupt their game plan. I am rooting for Gilmer, Carthage fans have mutual respect with Gilmer, plus I cannot go against a team from East Texas. East Texas teams have held their own for the past several years and have the hardware to show for their success. Good luck!

Carthage-Silsbee connection: The Silsbee basketball coach is Joe Sigler, who played basketball at Panola College in Carthage in the early 70's. Joe was also a Center Roughrider and an Angelo State University Ram. One of his teammates at Panola and Angelo State was Carthage Wide Receivers Coach Dennis McLaughlin, one of five assistants who have worked for Coach Scott Surratt his entire time at Carthage.

X's & O's Challenge accepted.

Choose your weapon, (subject/argument for those who cant follow the topic line).

Ill counter and then repeat the process myself.

All are welcome but realize I am trying real hard to keep the sarcasm to a controllable level.

You want X's & O's, fine but keep it civil. I can be testy. lol.

X's & O's Challenge accepted.

Choose your weapon, (subject/argument for those who cant follow the topic line).

Ill counter and then repeat the process myself.

All are welcome but realize I am trying real hard to keep the sarcasm to a controllable level.

You want X's & O's, fine but keep it civil. I can be testy. lol.

Let's start with the two bodies of work & strength of schedules. Silsbee is 11-2 with losses to WO Stark by 21 and to Huffman Hargrave by 3. Currently on a 7 game winning streak. Collective records of Silbee opponents is 70-75. Silsbee offense avgs 48 points per game but allows opponents to score 31 per game. Silsbee has given up more than 40 points in 4 of last 5 games.

Carthage is 10-3 with losses to Hallsville by 1 in 2OT, Gilmer by 3, and Kilgore by 3. Currently on a 6 game winning streak. Collective records of Carthage opponents is 88-59. Carthage offense avgs 35 per game but only allows 22. Carthage has only allowed one team more than 20 points in last 5 games, Navasota's 48 last week.

Conventional wisdom would say this game should get into the high 30's or even the 40's, but if it turns into a shoutout odds are Carthage will get a stop before Silsbee. Your thoughts Silsbee92?

Let's start with the two bodies of work & strength of schedules. Silsbee is 11-2 with losses to WO Stark by 21 and to Huffman Hargrave by 3. Currently on a 7 game winning streak. Collective records of Silbee opponents is 70-75. Silsbee offense avgs 48 points per game but allows opponents to score 31 per game. Silsbee has given up more than 40 points in 4 of last 5 games.

Carthage is 10-3 with losses to Hallsville by 1 in 2OT, Gilmer by 3, and Kilgore by 3. Currently on a 6 game winning streak. Collective records of Carthage opponents is 88-59. Carthage offense avgs 35 per game but only allows 22. Carthage has only allowed one team more than 20 points in last 5 games, Navasota's 48 last week.

Conventional wisdom would say this game should get into the high 30's or even the 40's, but if it turns into a shoutout odds are Carthage will get a stop before Silsbee. Your thoughts Silsbee92?

I don't remember Carthage and hallsville going into ot

Bodies of Work / Strength of Schedule -

1) Strength of Schedule in District Play is a mute point, to me. Too much familiarity. Every year (Mostly) the teams match up and with long

term coaches who do not vary styles, this can lead to close games. However, will give to historical playoff "Hardware" and say Carthage

has this on their side.

A) Silsbee lost twice. Once to WO-S, where the game was 35-28 going in to 4th, a powerhouse in 4A.

The other was to Huffman on Homecoming, weak excuse I know, but don't pretend like it doesn't happen. Nevermind that HH almost

blew that game once the Silsbee players realized what was happening. Wake up Call for sure and the results since then speak for itself.

B) WIN against (District Opponent) Jasper: had a legitimate shot at beating Navasota until that ONE questionable play call that gave Sota

the ball right back and Tiger left the game with serious dehydration issues it was a wrap.

Really tough opponent but a one man show for sure.

2) Bodies of Work:

a) We can do this all day really. Carthage obviously plays better defense. I could argue that the offenses in your district are weaker..

but then you would say that is because the defenses are better....yada. yada.

Lets agree to let the game decide which one made the difference.

b) But for s#### and grins lets try this:

Silsbee gives up yards on the ground. No secret. That in turn wears out a defense, agreed? Good.

You bring up the last 4 out of 5 playoff games Silsbee has given up 40 points per game, they have ALL been playoff teams

with POWER running games (35+ carries) except for Chapel Hill which tried something different. They threw dang near every down,

for over 500 yards. It was unexpected and Silsbee was stacking the box. It was an offensive show but the game looked closer than it was.

JMO. So, except for the TREMENDOUS running back duo from El Campo (Which would have run on ANYONE), all

the wins were by double digits, most were by 14 or more.

c) In conclusion: Though Silsbee gives up points it is because of three things:

1) Silsbee scores quick in most cases. 3rd Down success rate shows this. Silsbee rarely goes for 4th Down because they don't have too.

Points. Lots of Points.

2) Opponents have opted, except for Chapel Hill, to run, run, run.

This is a two fold plan in their minds: Take time off the clock and keep ball out of Tiger hands.

Silsbee gives up yards and points. Why are they winning?

3) Turnovers. They are better than stats show. Look up the numbers and ignore the yards allowed. Its pretty impressive.

Turnovers equal opportunities and Silsbee does one thing better than almost anyone: Make you pay for giving them the ball.

3) Lastly. Conventional Wisdom.

A few notes:

a) Scoring differential (APF / APA) Silsbee = 35% Carthage = 37%

My Opinion: Silsbee scores more on offense and allows less scoring on defense based on their team ability.

Really a useless number since your argument will be that defenses are better in your district....remember above?

again, JMO.

b) TOP: Silsbee averages about 18 mins and opponents have averaged over 30 mins.

Havent seen the numbers myself just consolidating data I have seen.

My Opinion: Carthage better keep the ball for 35 mins and score 14 pts more to win.

Based on your scoring average, better score at least 35. Minimum.

Long winded but its your challenge. If this suffices, submit short rebuttal and Ill ask my question.

Enjoy

• Like 1

1) Strength of Schedule in District Play is a mute point, to me. Too much familiarity. Every year (Mostly) the teams match up and with long

term coaches who do not vary styles, this can lead to close games. However, will give to historical playoff "Hardware" and say Carthage

has this on their side.

A) Silsbee lost twice. Once to WO-S, where the game was 35-28 going in to 4th, a powerhouse in 4A.

The other was to Huffman on Homecoming, weak excuse I know, but don't pretend like it doesn't happen. Nevermind that HH almost

blew that game once the Silsbee players realized what was happening. Wake up Call for sure and the results since then speak for itself.

B) WIN against (District Opponent) Jasper: had a legitimate shot at beating Navasota until that ONE questionable play call that gave Sota

the ball right back and Tiger left the game with serious dehydration issues it was a wrap.

2) Bodies of Work:

a) We can do this all day really. Carthage obviously plays better defense. I could argue that the offenses in your district are weaker..

Silsbee gives up yards on the ground. No secret. That in turn wears out a defense, agreed? Good.

You bring up the last 4 out of 5 playoff games Silsbee has given up 40 points per game, they have ALL been playoff teams

with POWER running games (35+ carries) except for Chapel Hill which tried something different. They threw dang near every down,

for over 500 yards. It was unexpected and Silsbee was stacking the box. It was an offensive show but the game looked closer than it was.

JMO. So, except for the TREMENDOUS running back duo from El Campo (Which would have run on ANYONE), all

1) Silsbee scores quick in most cases. 3rd Down success rate shows this. Silsbee rarely goes for 4th Down because they don't have too.

Points. Lots of Points.

This is a two fold plan in their minds: Take time off the clock and keep ball out of Tiger hands.

3) Turnovers. They are better than stats show. Look up the numbers and ignore the yards allowed. Its pretty impressive.

Turnovers equal opportunities and Silsbee does one thing better than almost anyone: Make you pay for giving them the ball.

A few notes:

My Opinion: Silsbee scores more on offense and allows less scoring on defense based on their team ability.

Really a useless number since your argument will be that defenses are better in your district....remember above?

again, JMO.

b) TOP: Silsbee averages about 18 mins and opponents have averaged over 30 mins.

My Opinion: Carthage better keep the ball for 35 mins and score 14 pts more to win.

Long winded but its your challenge. If this suffices, submit short rebuttal and Ill ask my question.

Enjoy

This is great! Much better than the normal my dad would whoop your dad stuff! Lots to chew on here. I'm sure this will draw several responses from the DAWG faithful...........

has this on their side.

2) Bodies of Work:

Points. Lots of Points.

A few notes:

again, JMO.

Enjoy

Great post!! I am glad that someone that supports Silsbee can put together facts and not just try to put a sentence together. They are talking about practice, indoor facilities, giving jobs to recruit players, basketball, and baseball on SeTX. 3 days away from a big football team that both teams could win, I think Carthage O and D lines will dominate and be too much for Silsbee. I do have respect for the speed and athleticism that we will see from Silsbee. The game will be close in the first half, but Carthage will start pulling away in the 2nd half to win this game. Dawgs by 14. Go Dawgs!

• Like 1

All those topics my fellow SeTX compats brought up are all great talking points. You know it and I know it. Whether they are true or not is the underlying question.

Keep using words like "Dominate", "Hardware" and "Respect" in the wrong form and you'll keep getting the same response from both sides.

Several of those posters are even more informed and even more well versed on sports topics than I could ever be.

You want the mud slinging and sarcasm, don't change a thing. You want an honest thought filled response then pose your questions like you have here with me.

This way no one eats crow and Everyone shares in the Texas High School Football legacy.

But you will always have your characters. Lol.

• Like 1

All those topics my fellow SeTX compats brought up are all great talking points. You know it and I know it. Whether they are true or not is the underlying question.

Keep using words like "Dominate", "Hardware" and "Respect" in the wrong form and you'll keep getting the same response from both sides.

Several of those posters are even more informed and even more well versed on sports topics than I could ever be.

You want the mud slinging and sarcasm, don't change a thing. You want an honest thought filled response then pose your questions like you have here with me.

This way no one eats crow and Everyone shares in the Texas High School Football legacy.

But you will always have your characters. Lol.

Folk are going to smack talk no matter what; It's just their way of getting "pumped" prior to the game. What's funny is people getting butt hurt & taking all of this too seriously! We are All Still getting the chance to see two quality teams go head to head to decide who advances, & who goes to the house! It's All gonna be over TOO SOON for all of us jabber mouths talking smack, Win OR Lose! What will we do then? I hate basketball, so I guess there's always that dreaded " Honey Do" list...😳. GO DAWGS!!!!

Carthage Ranking: National-484 / State-62 / State Division-3 / Region-13

Silsbee Ranking: National-1198 / State-149 / State Division-14 / Region-38

Carthage and Silsbee both improved their rankings by winning last Friday night, this information came from MaxPreps.

Team Scoring Averages

Carthage Q1 8.5 Q2 12.4 Q3 8.2 Q4 5.4 0T1 6.0 Total 34.9

Silsbee Q1 11.2 Q2 13.4 Q3 17.2 Q4 12.0 Total 48.4

Silsbee leads the scoring average category, which supports the fact that they have the ability to score and have maintained a pretty good average for all 4 quarters. We proved last week that we have the ability to put up a big score, even after committing 4 turnovers. I understand that this is one of the best teams that Silsbee has had in years, great job to Silsbee. Silsbee scored 42 while Carthage put up 55 last week, that is why I am picking Carthage by 14. We shall see what happens on Friday night. Go Dawgs!

I don't have any false illusions that the game will turn out as I see it, but nevertheless here it is.

Carthage played both Bridge City and Chapel Hill, and I saw Huffman-Hargrave's bi-district game against another Carthage opponent (Kilgore). Given that these three teams scored between 42 & 50 points against Silsbee (an average of 46), it's hard for me to imagine Carthage not scoring at least in the mid-40's - and quite likely in the 50's - Friday night. Although Silsbee's offense has been very impressive this season, it's going to be hard for them to score that much (mid-40's or more) against the Carthage defense. The Dawgs' D, which only gave up 18 points to Gilmer more than 2 months ago, appears to be following the usual pattern of improving week by week. In a long season - this will be their 14th game of 2015 - consistent improvement results in a very high level of play by December.

Carthage is my pick. The Dawgs should score more points than Silsbee will be able to against the much stronger defense their offense will be facing Friday night.